Mastermind worksaw's picture thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a picture of the box o' 084 that T1 sent Randy?

Toms084048_zps30c3a85c.jpg

Would that be the one I sent you? Did you look at the jug when you had it apart?
Yep it is, the jug was in really good shape. I put a new mako piston in it and opened up the intake,exhaust,lower transfers,deleted the base gasket, and added another port on the muffler. It gets with it pretty good. I just need to look into making it unlimited rpms. Damn thing is bouncing off the limiter unless you have it dogged in or really laying on it.

Yep it is, the jug was in really good shape. I put a new mako piston in it and opened up the intake,exhaust,lower transfers,deleted the base gasket, and added another port on the muffler. It gets with it pretty good. I just need to look into making it unlimited rpms. Damn thing is bouncing off the limiter unless you have it dogged in or really laying on it.
If that coil is limited to the same rpm as my 880 then my 880 needs the same treatment, soon.

Those videos are amazing. Have you ever done a Solo 681? I just got one and I think it needs whatever you've got.

Those videos are amazing. Have you ever done a Solo 681? I just got one and I think it needs whatever you've got.

Yes I've done a couple of them. Tough to get proper gains from them if you don't know what you are doing.

Basically the same as a Dolmar 7900, from what I understand. I'll be sending mine soon.
image-jpg.360919

The 681 has a 1mm longer stroke.....

Those there have to be my favorite big cc saw, I have two and the last one that I got hauls ass.

I had 4 084 runners. 3 ported total all by different folks. 2 woods ported, 1 on pipe race ported on gas. Overlook the 2 166. Both ported too, 1 woods 1 race. :rolleyes: Had a couple 3120 too. 1 race ported, 1 stock porting with some mods.

6 saws ported all by different folks right there alone, no stickers needed. ;) :laugh:

My fav for work was the 084's too.

Yes I've done a couple of them. Tough to get proper gains from them if you don't know what you are doing.

The 681 has a 1mm longer stroke.....
Well, besides that! I believe the P&C are the same? So the 681 should be a slightly stronger saw?

Put a 681 cylinder on a 7900 and see what happens. ;)
Some dude named Cut4fun posted this in another forum a while back... ;)

"Here is some info that was passed on by a Solo, Dolmar, Redmax dealer when the 681 first arrived.
I have found in my own experience that it is difficult to find a local dealer for Solo and that the online parts ordering doesn't seem to work for the 681. This was when the 681 was first released...

The new Solo 681 is now here, 81cc (80.7) same basic weight as the 7900 but with some major improvements.
The 681 has a larger air filter then the 7900, that is why the air filter cover is shaped a little different.
681 also has the good Walbro carburetor not the typical cheap Zama from China like the Dolmar.
681 has the side chain tensioner in the case like a Stihl not in the side cover like Dolmar.
681 also has a large top AV spring. The Dolmar had problems with them breaking.
681 also has a better bracket set up on the AV mount to the top handle. 681 bracket is bolted to the top cover. The Dolmar has a strap that wraps around the handle and it is always turning and putting stress on the top av spring.
681 has a two year YES TWO YEAR commercial warranty.
Parts for the Dolmar are a problem, you have to find a dealer.
Parts for a Solo can be ordered online from Solo at the same price they cost from the dealer.
At first you will think that it is built by Dolmar. That is not the case. This saw is built by Solo. Solo does sell the large Dolmar 9010, they call it the 694 but the 681 and its smaller sisters 675, 665 are Solo built.
From what I understand is that Dolmar did not design all of the 7900. Solo designed a lot of the parts for that saw. They were to be sold together in joint venture like the large Dolmar 9010.
Dolmar took all of the credit for the 7900 and Solo got the shaft.
Solo took it one step farther and made the same basic saw with a larger engine and a few improvements.
OK I have had a lot of questions about installing the 681 parts on the 7900 to make it 81cc.
Both of the above saws have the same bore size of 52mm. The 681 jug will bolt right on the 7900 case the muffler and carb boot will line right up but the jug is taller to accommodate the longer stroke so you will loose compression with the 7900 crank. I am sure that you can put the 681 crank in the 7900 case. That is a lot of work and with the cost of the crank and labor its not economically feasible."

Latest posts

Back