McBob's new Alky Burning Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a hell of a build, I hope you do it and bring it up to to west coast.

That would settle it wouldn't it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lighten up Bill for goodness sake bloody Stihl is only a chainsaw man just like the rest of em

As much as i admire Dennis's ideas and workmanship i need a Honda like an extra hole in my bottom end

McBob.

Thankyou sir for replying, wow i did not know 090's were being raced, i'm going to look harder and would love see them.
If you don't mind me asking, what is that copperhead logo you have under your user name, i see acouple of guys with race pics under their names.

090man,,,
there is an odd one running regularly but most stay home these days as other newer and more user friendly saws rule the australian scene. A lot of guys have them set up as modified production (visualy standard) and a very odd 1 or 2 pipe versions set up for unlimited production.

the qld boys still like them and many have them ready to go if required, and of coarse the 090 event is always a crowd pleaser and a chance for competitors to play with something different.

Last edited:
Yep!.....I doubt that chink crank will make it on alkie.

Well we'll have to wait and see Dennis if the riceburners do last certainly a big price difference in parts cost but if it holds together then ................ who really cares

If i filed the word chainsaw off the side cover who would know or better stihl stuck a geniune side cover on it you couldn't pick the difference i luv it.

I may buy and build a cheap chinese Honda next with plastic on it next a clone of your Honda racer

McBob.

The world is going to the pack! Bob and Dennis being civil to each other! :msp_sneaky:

I guess the short answer is they're just not that fast. All those older saws run very low RPMs compared to modern saws, and you can say that older saws will still keep driving big bars, but so will modern saws with the same amount of port/muff/carb work. Realistically though, how much racing is done with 8' bars? Big wood is where big saws start to make sense, but in racing its all small stuff. No matter how much you gear up a modded 090 it just wont compete against modern stuff in small wood. There are sprockets available with a mind boggling number of teeth on ebay if you want to have a go though.

Shaun

Well after you guys talked me into it and numerous words of encouragement i lashed out and bought a new Chinese Stihl 070 crankcase and crankshaft assy

090a.jpg

I have a few more odds and ends to get together and i have the piston barrel and carb on a plane to Australia somewhere and should be here very soon

KGrHqZrcE88g9e3P7BPblJuChHw60_12.jpg

Now lets see how fast a cheap ching a ding chainsaw can go

McBob

P.S A little patience is needed as i'm just a little ol fella from Australia
Nice! Really chinese stuff? Reproduction eh? Nice looking saw.

I suppose you could refer to it as a half breed .... you know 7/10th chinese 3/10ths german what a mixture

I got my piston and cylinder along with my alky carb yesterday a very interesting combination but something
that wont be shown here too many prying eyes ..................

McBob.

I guess the short answer is they're just not that fast. All those older saws run very low RPMs compared to modern saws, and you can say that older saws will still keep driving big bars, but so will modern saws with the same amount of port/muff/carb work. Realistically though, how much racing is done with 8' bars? Big wood is where big saws start to make sense, but in racing its all small stuff. No matter how much you gear up a modded 090 it just wont compete against modern stuff in small wood. There are sprockets available with a mind boggling number of teeth on ebay if you want to have a go though.

Shaun

Generaly speeking your spot on mate but,,,,
We do have 1 090 which regularly appears in QLD in modified production, unlimited production and open speed events. This saw cannot be looked upon as a slow geared up old timer as it beats a lot of new stuff, this saw takes a man with tallent to drive and run successfully and that man does just that. It ran on the weekend in QLD at Kingaroy for our australian titles and it did not dissapoint the 090 fans. Alan Rickson is the man who continues to make 090's a force and i personaly have raced that saw in all 3 classes many, many times and do not always beat it.
Poor rick is almost frightened to touch the cord once its been going, and its hurts to even watch rick start her. ( massave compression and has timeing way advanced).
The full results from the australian raceing titles are listed by LUMBERJAC AU in the aussie dribble thread.

A little something which this chineese 090 methanol project mcbob is working on has to think about once he gets it going.

Generaly speeking your spot on mate but,,,,
We do have 1 090 which regularly appears in QLD in modified production, unlimited production and open speed events. This saw cannot be looked upon as a slow geared up old timer as it beats a lot of new stuff, this saw takes a man with tallent to drive and run successfully and that man does just that. It ran on the weekend in QLD at Kingaroy for our australian titles and it did not dissapoint the 090 fans. Alan Rickson is the man who continues to make 090's a force and i personaly have raced that saw in all 3 classes many, many times and do not always beat it.
Poor rick is almost frightened to touch the cord once its been going, and its hurts to even watch rick start her. ( massave compression and has timeing way advanced).
The full results from the australian raceing titles are listed by LUMBERJAC AU in the aussie dribble thread.

A little something which this chineese 090 methanol project mcbob is working on has to think about once he gets it going.

No fear here oh short fella what did i just say about prying eyes

McBob.

I suppose you could refer to it as a half breed .... you know 7/10th chinese 3/10ths german what a mixture

I got my piston and cylinder along with my alky carb yesterday a very interesting combination but something
that wont be shown here too many prying eyes ..................

McBob.

So why in the hell would you start a thread?????

Now lets see how fast a cheap ching a ding chainsaw can go

I remember 30 + years ago when Echos were called cheap ring a ding chain saws. Thats funny 30 some years later they are still running...Bob

Well well who cares it's like all the other useless rabble that go's on here same **** different day

you eat your popcorn and at least you'll be quite

McBob.

Well hell Stumpy, i dont think your welcome here. Just be quiet and eat you corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back