McBob's new Alky Burning Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean theres more of them.
That photo of the left handed machine looks dangerouse, the saw of ozfleas looks like it will go fast and that video shows its incredable, sorry mcBobs

I'm pretty certain its the only one in this country my US820 I mounted it in SP125 Mac frame where it looks right at home using an adaptor between the engine and
the oil tank pretty simple really i have a westbend muffler i found in the states that feeds the exhaust out and back in a box muffler.

I'm pretty certain its the only one in this country my US820 I mounted it in SP125 Mac frame where it looks right at home using an adaptor between the engine and
the oil tank pretty simple really i have a westbend muffler i found in the states that feeds the exhaust out and back in a box muffler.

Bob,

You do realize the Whiteheads were sold down in AUS ????????

There are more 820's in your country than you may realize but I would suspect no others in a Mac frame.

Bill

Bob,

You do realize the Whiteheads were sold down in AUS ????????

There are more 820's in your country than you may realize but I would suspect no others in a Mac frame.

Bill

Yes i know Bill i have seen quite a few but not the US820 Copperhead mines the only one that i'm aware of

McBob.

Well found a rather nice 25" bar in 050 gauge to suit the Stihl 090 its on its way deep south

windsor090bar.jpg

A new bar will keep the ching a ding 090 cuttin straight

McBob.

Last edited:
Well found a rather nice 25" bar in 050 gauge to suit the Stihl 090 its on its way deep south

windsor090bar.jpg

A new bar will keep the ching a ding 090 cuttin straight

McBob.

All right then, this means this saw must be ready to race. Where and when, i'm comeing to see you with luck win straight up or at least shake those big orange devils up. Best of luck sir.

Heres young Neil running my Copperhead Mac SP125 at Dungog a few back young Neil walks off for a quick cuppa at the end of the race

McBob.

I like the bore in-down-up-down-up races... Seems like it puts a little more onus on the quality of operator.

I like the bore in-down-up-down-up races... Seems like it puts a little more onus on the quality of operator.

Yeah and if you're not careful the big saws will give you a good kick while trying to bore cut. There's nothing like a bit of kickback from a modified 100cc+ saw...

Yeah and if you're not careful the big saws will give you a good kick while trying to bore cut. There's nothing like a bit of kickback from a modified 100cc+ saw...

YES!!! Chain would have to be super smooth too... That post ripping they do over there rocks too. I actually like watching that... It's as much or more about the sawyer than anything...

Got the two spare cylinders from china for the 090 good price and great service

cylinderandpistonkithutzl.jpg

Two spare cylinders as back up will be copies of the cylinder i bought in modded form from the states. But will be fitted with Caber rings just maybe the chinese rings will seat quicker
even if they dont keep there tension correctly or wear well who cares race rings are changed often to keep performance high

McBob.

Last edited:
But will be fitted with Caber rings just maybe the chinese rings will seat quicker
even if they dont keep there tension correctly or wear well who cares race rings are changed often to keep performance high

McBob.

Don't even fit the Chinese rings Bob. You never quite know what you're getting with them. In fact I've even seen a fair compression increase of around 15psi just by fitting Cabers over the supplied Chinese rings on 372XP BB kits. I've also hand grenaded a number of piston tops from Chinese rings letting go in the exhaust port. Don't trust 'em ;)

Don't even fit the Chinese rings Bob. You never quite know what you're getting with them. In fact I've even seen a fair compression increase of around 15psi just by fitting Cabers over the supplied Chinese rings on 372XP BB kits. I've also hand grenaded a number of piston tops from Chinese rings letting go in the exhaust port. Don't trust 'em ;)

sounds a bit like this chinese stuff is not worth buying, why would a man who obviously knows his stuff bother with anything but genuine parts.
I would think that top that bob has pictured would be fine for weekend woodcutters like me.
I often see a guy at the pub who raced for years, he has retired i beleive and was checking the posts i think at camden last year, i'm going to ask him if he knows any racers blokes on here.

Still, best of luck with the chinese powered 090 sir, and would love to see a 090 win somewhere.
Question Bob
how would your imported hotsaw go against what gets raced in nsw now, i saw a hig husky last year cut the 3 cuts in something like 8 seconds and the wood looked bigger than 1 foot across.

sounds a bit like this chinese stuff is not worth buying, why would a man who obviously knows his stuff bother with anything but genuine parts.
I would think that top that bob has pictured would be fine for weekend woodcutters like me.
I often see a guy at the pub who raced for years, he has retired i beleive and was checking the posts i think at camden last year, i'm going to ask him if he knows any racers blokes on here.

Still, best of luck with the chinese powered 090 sir, and would love to see a 090 win somewhere.
Question Bob
how would your imported hotsaw go against what gets raced in nsw now, i saw a hig husky last year cut the 3 cuts in something like 8 seconds and the wood looked bigger than 1 foot across.

Thats the very question i asked young Neil on the US820 powered SP125 and the video answers the question, the old SP125 for the over 100cc production hotsaws did all right as well winning it's
category as well.

As regards the chinese stuff we wait and see the important bits will be geniune were needed dont worry about that.

I've had enough geniune stuff break when you least expect to realize everything has it's limits after all it's a race saw not an everyday work saw.

McBob

Last edited:
Thats the very question i asked young Neil on the US820 powered SP125 and the video answers the question, the old SP125 for the over 100cc production hotsaws did all right as well winning it's
category as well.

As regards the chinese stuff we wait and see the important bits will be geniune were needed dont worry about that.

I've had enough geniune stuff break when you least expect to realize everything has it's limits after all it's a race saw not an everyday work saw.

McBob

thanz for responding and i beleive your got a point by that vid have you got some more.
you would be a good one to ask
how much training goes into doing this raceing thing right as they make it look so easy, they must be fit and strong men to start with i am guessing.

thanz for responding and i beleive your got a point by that vid have you got some more.
you would be a good one to ask
how much training goes into doing this raceing thing right as they make it look so easy, they must be fit and strong men to start with i am guessing.

Yes i'm afraid so youth is a bugger to an old fossil like me thats why i got young Neil to run them i attend for a day out and enjoy just being there but i have a few quick saws
these will be the first Stihls i have ever owned and it will be kinda nice if they prove worthy of being in my shed.

I cant compete against full time bushmen i'm a townie and past my prime but still like the occassional run

McBob.

McBob

I've had no major issues with the actual kits themselves Bob but as somebody who has imported and tested a swag of Chinese/Taiwanese kits don't risk running the supplied rings mate. You never quite know what you're going to get and I've had otherwise perfect kits destroyed by rings that have snapped and shot into the exhaust port within minutes of startup. For $12-15 a set for Cabers it's cheap insurance. It's like paying $20,000 for a race engine in a car and having a cheap arsed $1 bolt destroy the whole shebang.

I've had no major issues with the actual kits themselves Bob but as somebody who has imported and tested a swag of Chinese/Taiwanese kits don't risk running the supplied rings mate. You never quite know what you're going to get and I've had otherwise perfect kits destroyed by rings that have snapped and shot into the exhaust port within minutes of startup. For $12-15 a set for Cabers it's cheap insurance. It's like paying $20,000 for a race engine in a car and having a cheap arsed $1 bolt destroy the whole shebang.

If for a moment you think i dont agree with you your wrong, i have Caber rings here the ching ones can go in the trash if need be i'll buy genuine rings and roller bearings from Stihl.

McBob.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back