McBob's new Alky Burning Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who did the barrel and what's been done?

That for me to know and others to find out

hey Bob, secret squirrel stuff hey mate.....so you have a chinese copy of a German crank.....how good is your copy going to be of that ported cylinder???

Why does it hurt to name the porter.....Hell Im happy to own some MVP stuff

hey Bob, secret squirrel stuff hey mate.....so you have a chinese copy of a German crank.....how good is your copy going to be of that ported cylinder???

Secret Squirrel is a watching so i better not you know Mums the word ...... well as regards the crank mine is from Taiwan and thats not China although it did travel via Greese

Last edited:
Yes i'm afraid so youth is a bugger to an old fossil like me thats why i got young Neil to run them i attend for a day out and enjoy just being there but i have a few quick saws
these will be the first Stihls i have ever owned and it will be kinda nice if they prove worthy of being in my shed.

I cant compete against full time bushmen i'm a townie and past my prime but still like the occassional run

McBob.

I just love it when you call me young, Now shiver me timbers bob, your not an old fossil, simply a vintage version of what you want to be.:msp_sneaky:

AUSSIE 1,,, thats the responce for the week,,,SHIVER ME TIMBERS :msp_thumbsup:

090 MAN,,, ask bob (ozflea) all the questions you want, he loves it and will respond to you all day. I'm still a young grasshopper, so i'm still learning and getting fitter and stronger, one day i'll get there.

husq2100,,, your asking questions below the belt and you know what will happen if you keep it up.:popcorn:

;)
I just love it when you call me young, Now shiver me timbers bob, your not an old fossil, simply a vintage version of what you want to be.:msp_sneaky:

AUSSIE 1,,, thats the responce for the week,,,SHIVER ME TIMBERS :msp_thumbsup:

090 MAN,,, ask bob (ozflea) all the questions you want, he loves it and will respond to you all day. I'm still a young grasshopper, so i'm still learning and getting fitter and stronger, one day i'll get there.

husq2100,,, your asking questions below the belt and you know what will happen if you keep it up.:popcorn:

Neil, us old "young" fella's have been around long enough to remember some of those sayings! ;)

Last edited:
Heres a little dribble or should i say top secret stuff that will automaticely shoot you as soon as you read it

I wrote and asked the person of xxxxx.com if they marketed a full AV kit for the early 090 sounds as though they are interested in doing such a kit

now the wait begins i just hope i hear good news as those babies are hard to get.

av5.jpg

McBob.

Now Cahoon your there too past your prime too old fella at least i have recovered so you can wobble by ya self

P.S I luv you too hoon

Last edited:
If for a moment you think i dont agree with you your wrong, i have Caber rings here the ching ones can go in the trash if need be i'll buy genuine rings and roller bearings from Stihl.

McBob.

No dramas Bob I was just looking at your quote below which made me think you may have been considering the Chinese rings ;) It sounded like you were contemplating them as they may seat quicker and will be changed often. I've had some really good Chinese rings in some early Dolmar/Makita BB kits but as a whole they've been crap. Even the kits that didn't disintegrate with the supplied rings showed some really dodgey, accelerated wear after a few hours of run time.

just maybe the chinese rings will seat quicker even if they dont keep there tension correctly or wear well who cares race rings are changed often to keep performance high

McBob.

Please explain mate, secret squirrel and mvp.
are you guys raceing blokes playing mind games with each other.

question for mcbob
alky burning 090, how do you set your saws up to run that, or more to my point what is it.

Last edited:
Na we just having fun you know kids games and all that type of stuff anyone got a pocket full of marbles .... oh thats right most of you would never have played marbles

Alky is the fuel or part there of that the saws run and a little methanol

McBob.

Na we just having fun you know kids games and all that type of stuff anyone got a pocket full of marbles .... oh thats right most of you would never have played marbles

Alky is the fuel or part there of that the saws run and a little methanol

McBob.

Ok fair enough.
Sounds like you race fellas are not going to say much on how you set these race saws up for racing fuel, i understand you want the edge.

Ok fair enough.
Sounds like you race fellas are not going to say much on how you set these race saws up for racing fuel, i understand you want the edge.

Depends who you talk to. There is a swag of information out there on race saws if you know where to look and who to ask. Of course finding the information is the easy part, building it and replicating it is the next step, but then of course actually competing and winning an event is the hard part. Plenty of top class race saws haven't been able to win a race because of the people running them, or a bad chain, or the wrong sprocket choice etc etc.

Actually, it's all about the chain and technique, the powerhead comes after you get those two right ;)

(but everyone wants a powerful saw, so they start there first and get their bums spanked, so they try and find more grunt, and.....)

Your right ol mate or once you get the power head going it's getting the rest right and matched accordingly maybe quite a few start the learning curve but getting practice is what really counts

McBob

Plenty of top class race saws haven't been able to win a race because of the people running them, or a bad chain, or the wrong sprocket choice etc etc.

So what your saying is when these guys have a race and 1 guy finishes way in front, its not good luck but better understanding and preparation or a better engine handled better.
I think i will watch the boys raceing down here and pick one or 2 and follow them and hopefuly meet them.
I'm not trying to break into this but am interested just the same.

Actually, it's all about the chain and technique, the powerhead comes after you get those two right ;)

(but everyone wants a powerful saw, so they start there first and get their bums spanked, so they try and find more grunt, and.....)

interesting read,so i assume one could race a standard stihl 090 provideing it has a good race chain and if the operator has the skills do do so, but would it be competitive against the rest.
I'm a little confused now, reading back i notice a man who is publicly showing modifications and saws obviously highly modified to hammer any opersition he strikes, so has he already got the techniques and chain mastered to progress onto major engine developements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back