McBob's new Alky Burning Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched that vid ol bob just put up there, I almost forgotten that I uploaded it, and it was the only time I raced with an 090. I borrowed the saw from the mill I worked for at the time and it was bone stock, I don't think I even touched the chain, I am the one in the yellow shirt. I got to the final after many people cut out in the heats, it takes some cutting to get through, 18" blocks and that 4" you are allowed to cut in looks bloody small, not much room for error. Someday I'll find an 090 I can fix up and race with, tho I think the dog team might growl a bit with a stihl in the kennel :msp_tongue:

Neil, there is one 090 that ran just as well as ricko's, and that would be Kerri McGreevey's 090AV, with his chains and kerri at the helm it was a hard saw to try to stay with, he is one competitor I miss racing against

Cheers
Will

PS, they are racing the 090's this weekend at the Crows Nest show, so if anyone is nearby come on out and cheer them on.

Well Fellas quite a few bits have arrived downunder for the 090 the cylinder and piston plus carb turned up last week muffler today and the oil tank outter half monday shes slowly getting together, Dont worry your little heart out Dennis the muffler is chinese too

muffler.jpg

I have the bar here its a sprocket nosed 3/8" custom bar origionally i bought many years ago for my Solo Twin now it will have it's slot lengthened to fit the Stihl

McBob

Be careful McBoob, I'm sure that's lead paint you'll be breathing off that muffler and screen.......Hahahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Well that will mix in well with the American Agent Orange i was sprayed with 40 years ago Dennis .... how's ya hip going

Do you wobble when ya walk ?

McBob.

Last edited:
Well howdy doody 090man the Copperhead logo is the US820 Kart engine i purchased a few years back and fitted into a McCulloch SP125 chassis the Copperhead version
is the latest variant of these Westbend engines goes like stink

I got the engine through Dave Bonbright on the West Coast of the US i was told Dave was involved in the engines development its one powerful beast at 134cc

McBob.

copperheadmac.jpg

Thankyou for showing your saw.A kart engine in a chainsaw, how is that allowed, sounds a bit unfair on the rest. Dave Bonbright must be a very smart man to do that.
sir i just read some results in another forum and wanted to see if you got anything but realised ozflea is not your name, how did that impressive monster go, i thought my 090s are ahandfull.

Not unfair anything goes in open saws young Neil knocked them off with it at Dungog a few years back

Theres a few Kart engines saws around

Bikesaw250gsxTrevorBakerQLD.jpg

A yammie

McBob.

Last edited:
Just watched that vid ol bob just put up there, I almost forgotten that I uploaded it, and it was the only time I raced with an 090. I borrowed the saw from the mill I worked for at the time and it was bone stock, I don't think I even touched the chain, I am the one in the yellow shirt. I got to the final after many people cut out in the heats, it takes some cutting to get through, 18" blocks and that 4" you are allowed to cut in looks bloody small, not much room for error. Someday I'll find an 090 I can fix up and race with, tho I think the dog team might growl a bit with a stihl in the kennel :msp_tongue:

Neil, there is one 090 that ran just as well as ricko's, and that would be Kerri McGreevey's 090AV, with his chains and kerri at the helm it was a hard saw to try to stay with, he is one competitor I miss racing against

Cheers
Will

PS, they are racing the 090's this weekend at the Crows Nest show, so if anyone is nearby come on out and cheer them on.

Yes thats true for sure and he is not the only one, phil war (qld), greg mangles (nsw), keith Polsen (nsw) just to name a few, were also 090 specalists and could drive them well.
I guess i could easily name a dozen guys who have them and could run them anytime they please.

yes,,,,, the 090 visualy standard race will be popular at crows nest so anyone liveing near by, come on over saturday and enjoy the day.

Mcbob,,,, you need to cover that carby, i think wasps are nesting inside it............

Last edited:
What is the size of that tilly? 304 or 334? I'm at the start of building a stock muffler 6ci 394XP alky burner and I don't know if a 304 will be too much carb.

Bikesaw250gsxTrevorBakerQLD.jpg

Thats a pic i took years ago, a good pic indeed of trevor baker with his GSX 250 bikesaw.
timber in that pic was 14inch yellow stringy and that was a open class heat at the australian titles in qld. 2006 i think.

competitors behind, left to right.

Wayne Stark qld Axeman and raceing compeditor, life member to QLD raceing and the Anduramba chainsaw raceing club.
John Watkins nsw
Rod Barns nsw
Bill Rumbel nsw
Trevor Baker qld with saw
Terry Brazier qld
Ashley Yaxley qld

note,,, only 2 formal life members involved in australian racing..... Wayne Stark QLD
Bill Boyd NSW who also has a OAM (order of Australia medal)

Last edited:
Well howdy doody 090man the Copperhead logo is the US820 Kart engine i purchased a few years back and fitted into a McCulloch SP125 chassis the Copperhead version
is the latest variant of these Westbend engines goes like stink

I got the engine through Dave Bonbright on the West Coast of the US i was told Dave was involved in the engines development its one powerful beast at 134cc

McBob.

copperheadmac.jpg

Them old Benders are what every saw should wear.

that old girl has some balls for sure, and could mix it with the rest if given the oportunity.
I personaly do not like that pipe, but its not my saw so it does not matter and i'm only talking from a competitor point of view.

my own 125's point to the block well, they are good performers and if i did not have better and more modern saws the old 125's would be 1st choice in the O100cc classes.

This saw was built so we could experiance what possibly the mythical Mac 102 may have been like the US820 is very similier from what i have found out
it's a pity the 102 was still born and never got into production as a Kart engine Americas days building kart engines was drawing to a close.

The 102 was indeed visually like the 101 but inside a few differences better porting chrome bore there are a few around but more collectable than useable.

I suppose the vertcal pipe puts you off Neil and i dont have the ability to build a pipe that points somewhere else so it will have to do.

McBob.

Do you mean theres more of them.
That photo of the left handed machine looks dangerouse, the saw of ozfleas looks like it will go fast and that video shows its incredable, sorry mcBobs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back