McCulloch BP-1 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE "BILLG" BP1 NOW RUNS!!!I changed the rings this morning, it fired and ran good.Man, It sounds incredible, like nothing I've ever heard.Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this project!
Hey MacBob, one more running BP1 in the world!
Jim

Great job Jim!!!:cheers:

Gotta have a video!!!!

I agree completely. Must have video of that running BP-1!!! If you embed your video in your post, then please also put the link to the video in your post. Embedded vids don't work for me on AS...:D

THE "BILLG" BP1 NOW RUNS!!!I changed the rings this morning, it fired and ran good.Man, It sounds incredible, like nothing I've ever heard.Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this project!
Hey MacBob, one more running BP1 in the world!
Jim

I am truely amazed. It is a testament to Jim's dedication. He brought back a saw that most would have cast off. Excellent job Jim!!!
Bill

Thank You Bill, That means a lot!
What I would like to know is the history of the saw.
There is no serial # on it anywhere, Maybe the Cylinder was changed?
I think it passed through Dean@WHS'S hands at some point.
Can you or anyone add anything to the story?
Merry Christmas
Jim

Thank You Bill, That means a lot!
What I would like to know is the history of the saw.
There is no serial # on it anywhere, Maybe the Cylinder was changed?
I think it passed through Dean@WHS'S hands at some point.
Can you or anyone add anything to the story?
Merry Christmas
Jim

Hello Jim,

I do know it came from the west coast. I will have to dig and see what other info I saved from my old computer. I do ask that you hang on to any extra parts. I know there was a part that went out with your saw that I think I need now.

Bill

Look what I have:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I have Bill at RR7, but I've lost yours Cliff, and I don't have Jim either. Please PM me with addresses and I will get one on the way to each of you.

Mark

Look what I have:

attachment.php

Now I have Bill at RR7, but I've lost yours Cliff, and I don't have Jim either. Please PM me with addresses and I will get one on the way to each of you.

Mark

Hey thanks anyway Mark, but I just ended up using a BR9ES with a 1/2 dozen fender washers under it. jk :laugh:

I'll pm you with my addy, thanks.

Wildman you might see it run on the 30th, hell you might just run it.

After finishing off the Homelite 410 and my SIL's Stihl 020 (impulse line) I finally got back to my BP-1. Today I decided to tear it clear down in order to clean it up and replace the rings. I have taken a few saw apart, but couldn't tell you the last time I had one that was so completely covered in oily sawdust.

I was worried that maybe it had some scoring since the compression was low, but things look very good inside...except of course for the layer of sawdust in the bottom of the balance piston cylinder.

Hopefully I can spend the better part of the day tomorrow getting it all cleaned up, replacing the rings, and maybe get it put back together. I must say this is as complicated a saw as I have ever worked on with lots of intricate castings, extensive use of plastics (remember this was produced in 1962), complicated systems for the auto sharp, etc.

One day I'll start looking for a spike for this saw, I already have a few good choices for bars when the time comes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are a few more bits submerged in the parts washer...

Mark

Last edited:
If you are doing an impulse line on an 020 make sure you hook it twice behind the manifold otherwise it will get against the head and wear / burn a hold in it right quick, very tight fit.

Tim

After finishing off the Homelite 410 and my SIL's Stihl 020 (impulse line) I finally got back to my BP-1. Today I decided to tear it clear down in order to clean it up and replace the rings. I have taken a few saw apart, but couldn't tell you the last time I had one that was so completely covered in oily sawdust.

I was worried that maybe it had some scoring since the compression was low, but things look very good inside...except of course for the layer of sawdust in the bottom of the balance piston cylinder.

Hopefully I can spend the better part of the day tomorrow getting it all cleaned up, replacing the rings, and maybe get it put back together. I must say this is as complicated a saw as I have ever worked on with lots of intricate castings, extensive use of plastics (remember this was produced in 1962), complicated systems for the auto sharp, etc.

One day I'll start looking for a spike for this saw, I already have a few good choices for bars when the time comes.

Mark

Latest posts

Back