McCulloch BP-1 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be willing to bet that Mark was just letting folks know that the plugs had arrived (while at the same time showing some good pics of 'em), since it'd been over a week since he mentioned the auction. He asked the folks who expressed interest in the plugs to send their addresses (so that you fellows would soon have your own NIB TJ8J's). I sincerely doubt he was bragging....

Hey Mark. You need to put the BP-1 in your sig!:D

I'd be willing to bet that Mark was just letting folks know that the plugs had arrived (while at the same time showing some good pics of 'em), since it'd been over a week since he mentioned the auction. He asked the folks who expressed interest in the plugs to send their addresses (so that you fellows would soon have your own NIB TJ8J's). I sincerely doubt he was bragging....

Hey Mark. You need to put the BP-1 in your sig!:D

:agree2:
He did not have to tell us he was bidding on them and he was willing
to share them with who needed one.

Thanks, Mark

I only list running saw in my signature so the BP-1 and the 77 don't qualify, yet.

Ran into a few problems with the BP-1 project today, found a broken fin on the flywheel, already knew the top cover had a crack, one stripped screw in the carburetor (metering section), a few other little items that will need added attention. I will be waiting a few days (more likely a few weeks with my up coming schedule) for some additional parts to arrive before I can see if it will run again.

None the less, I will keep at it and keep you posted but no more photo's for a while, I dropped my camera today and cracked the screen so I can no longer change any settings; I can take close up shots but only with flash so they are all washed out anyway. Guess I will have to use some priority points and get a new camera on the way.

Mark

You did a excellent job on a saw that I would have never thought would run again. Is it the same cylinder? I know it is not the same piston.

Bill

Jim,

You should have taken some pics before to show how far you brought that saw along. Also a pic of that nasty piston.

Bill

That's fantastic Jim.:cheers:

Now put it in some wood so we can see video of it doing what R P McCulloch intended it to do. That's one mean sounding saw. I'd like to see how it stacks up against a 'modern' sub-50cc saw. Put some square chisel on that badboy and let it eat.:D

This is how I got the saw.
attachment.php

The saw is wearing .404 square chiesl right now, My father offered to buy a hoop of SG for it.
As far as a compairison with a modern 50cc saw (wearing .325), it would be hard to guess. While the RPM of both saws will be about the same 11k-12k, the BP1 is a gear drive saw with a reduction rate of 2.9:1. So actual chain speed will be nearly 3X slower. BUT, that will be offset to a certain extent by the fact that the .404 chain is much more aggressive.

Here is how my BP-1 looks right now.

At this point I think I have all of the parts I need except for the actuator diaphragm for the carburetor (59129).

Problem is I will be traveling again all week next week so I won't even get to look at it again for another week.

167676d1294549184-dscn2906-jpg

167677d1294549287-dscn2907-jpg

167678d1294549297-dscn2908-jpg

167679d1294549302-dscn2909-jpg

167680d1294549308-dscn2910-jpg

Mark

Here is how my BP-1 looks right now.

At this point I think I have all of the parts I need except for the actuator diaphragm for the carburetor (59129).

Problem is I will be traveling again all week next week so I won't even get to look at it again for another week.

167678d1294549297-dscn2908-jpg

Mark
In your handle, there is a steel rope guide that looks to be a bit worn into an elongated shape, leaving a sharp edge on the under side. It will eventually cut through the starter rope. I included one in the box I sent you.

Thanks Jim,

I did look through the box on Saturday and saw a few extra pieces I could not identify right away, now I know where some of them go anyway.

Question, did yours have o-rings on either end of the balance cylinder? Mine had them, but they do not appear in the IPL that I have. I went ahead and picked up new ones (026 and 031 for the balance cylinder, 036 for the gear box) and figure they can't do any harm even if they are not required.

My scheduled trip to Atlanta/Gainesville appears to be off for a day or two anyway so I may get to spend a little time in the shop after all.

Mark

My balance cylinder has one O-ring at the top, but it is the balance cylinder with the flat mounting flange that gets sandwiched between the lower case and the base plate. The other style balance cylinder has a machined showlder in the middle that fits into a recess into the base plate. That one looks like it might need two
O-rings.
Here is a bit of BP1 oddballness, Due to the fact that there are two different balance cylinders that mount differently, there are two different styles of base plate.
One is designed to accomadate the mounting flange of the balance cylinder, so it is 1/8" shorter. Funny thing is that the part #s for the two different Bases are the same.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

I did look through the box on Saturday and saw a few extra pieces I could not identify right away, now I know where some of them go anyway.

Question, did yours have o-rings on either end of the balance cylinder? Mine had them, but they do not appear in the IPL that I have. I went ahead and picked up new ones (026 and 031 for the balance cylinder, 036 for the gear box) and figure they can't do any harm even if they are not required.

My scheduled trip to Atlanta/Gainesville appears to be off for a day or two anyway so I may get to spend a little time in the shop after all.

Mark

You will not be coming here until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Maybe a couple of dozen flights operating through here today. If the trip delays until Thursday, I'll hope to meet up with you at the airport. Things not good here today, and it is an ice storm in progress right now. Thank god our power lines are underground.

I am expecting to reschedule for next week, we will see if they can get ready by then...reports today were they may have to shut the plant down since the trucks are unable to come and haul the soybean meal away. When they are processing 100,000 Bu/day (3,000 tons/day) of soybeans, you have to have a place to go with the meal which accounts for about 80% of what leaves the plant.

Mark

Finally got back to the shop today and got going again on the BP-1.

I was going to put the gear box together and realized I'd lost the piston for the automatic oiler. Discovered a 3/32" drill bit fit perfectly so I guesstimated the length and cut the drill bit down to make the new piston. Then I lost the spring but no worries there, somehow I got 4 of them from Bob Johnson.

168475d1295144420-dscn2945-jpg

Continuing on the gear box I noted a litte corrosion in the bottom of the oil tank, probing around with a dental pick I discovered a hole all the way through. Decided the best course of action would be to give it an abrasive blast and then JB weld to the bottom of the tank.

168471d1295144411-dscn2948-jpg

168473d1295144417-dscn2953-jpg

168472d1295144414-dscn2954-jpg

168470d1295144408-dscn2955-jpg

After that I got as much of the saw together as I could. Next I need to get the carburetor thoroughly cleaned and back together...best I can determine I have all of the parts I will need including a NOS primer.

With the saw together I check the compression, 135 PSI which is certainly better than 90 or so when I got it.

Travel will keep me away all week this coming week, but if I can get the carburetor cleaned I should be able to get this one finished next Saturday.

Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back