McCulloch PM 700 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert111

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Recently I've been given an old McCulloch chainsaw pm700. The saw works quite good, the only problem is it does not lubricate the chain neither way Thanks to your posts and manuals I've dismantled the saw and I've found a missing screw by the manual pump. Unfortunately when I press the manual pump it pumps the oil but it gets out through the hole (No 1 on the photo) in the automatic pump. When I close the hole with my finger the pression rises until I cannot keep it anymore clogged and oil begins to leak from the hole. I'm not sure if my description is understandable so I've made two photos showing my pump. The hole I've marked as number 1. I've given the chainsaw to a friend who seemed to be more oriented than me and and he poked in the pump with a screwdriver to clean it and probably opened the hole. The question is: should the hole remain open or closed as the other hole No2. Probably I could put small screw inside to close the hole if needed.
On the second photo one can see the pump from above and there you can you see a small screw I've added after seeing a video on YouTube. The screw was obviously missing. Have I done right? Before that the chain oil was also leaking out of oil tank. Not anymore.
I live in Italy and I can hardly get any parts here especially a new pump. I want to try to repair it as everybody here says it is quiet quite durable and I'm on tight budget. I like the saw because it is powerful and I have a lot of firewood to cut.
Thanks
RobertView attachment 834893View attachment 834892

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_232120.jpg
    IMG_20200610_232120.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200610_231543.jpg
    IMG_20200610_231543.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Robert - You will find more assistance in the McCulloch Chainsaw thread or the Unofficial 10-10 thread in the Chainsaw Stickies section.

The short answer is that hole is supposed to be plugged just like the plugged hole you show in your photo.

DSCN5934.JPG

Remove the extra screw from the body of the automatic oil pump as it will only interfere with the automatic oil pump body from sealing properly against the tapered rubber seal/gasket.

There is a separate thread on the topic of the McCulloch 10 Series oiler found here: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-10-series-oiler.249620/

That should help you get to the bottom of your issues.

Mark

How could i close the hole?. I think the ball Is deep inside. I can see It but cannot get it out.
Robert

Latest posts

Back