Messy Woodpile / Bad Neighbor II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our ordinance for fire pits needs several feet of clear area around a fire pit and not within 25 ft of property line or 50 ft from a structure.
WE once had terrible neighbors that tried to goad me into fights and would actually come to my door and yell at me after they trampled over and mowed over 20 young trees with their snowmobiles on my property. The sheriff was at their house numerous times on my complaint. They were even abusing a dog and everyone knows that is a not allowed around me!

Back to fire ordinance they lit a bonfire to a very large brush pile one time with gasoline. Embers were flying everywhere on people's homes. The fire trucks came, they were socked with $1000 fine+costs. They never paid it sheriff sat in our drive & watched their house until they made a stupid mistake (normal routine for them) like come home with a stolen car with non matching plates. Now they are evicted & in jail on Grand theft auto and other stuff +warrants for fire.

Bottom line it may take time but bad neighbors eventually get it in the end.

Smoking lawnmowers & R.C. helicopters I figure would only bring an outright confrontation. I am at the point where something like that would not end up in my favor, nor my families - I can definitely see myself in debt to the state for several years.
I have contacted:
Fire Marshall
Town enforcement
DEC
Local civic association

Neighbor's case was before the judge, fined couple of hundred dollars and a conditional discharge to clean up the property. Property remains the same, he will not allow any town inspectors or ECO's on his lot which makes the case difficult. With this photo below, the rotten rounds have turned the ground septic killing the grass on my side of the fence.

TreeCo, I thought about the fence idea for five years. Came to the conclusion that I did not want to feel like a caged in dog on my own property.
Privacy fences make good neighbors, so a six foot high fence x 360' would run me around between 9K-12K, add the cost of permits and the footwork to obtain the towns approval.
Current "Arborist Next Door" drops some large rounds onto the new fence which I paid for (since it's my idea) and breaks the fence, now I have to look at the broken fence, what's behind it, and my smaller bank account from the installation.

Smoking lawnmowers & R.C. helicopters I figure would only bring an outright confrontation. I am at the point where something like that would not end up in my favor, nor my families - I can definitely see myself in debt to the state for several years.
I have contacted:
Fire Marshall
Town enforcement
DEC
Local civic association

Neighbor's case was before the judge, fined couple of hundred dollars and a conditional discharge to clean up the property. Property remains the same, he will not allow any town inspectors or ECO's on his lot which makes the case difficult. With this photo below, the rotten rounds have turned the ground septic killing the grass on my side of the fence.

SD i understand your issues with a neighbor. i not sure about the rotting wood turning the ground septic? i know degomposing wood does soak up a lot of nitrogen but to make the ground septic? it might be your own tree causing this ,i noticed you have one in the left hand side of the picture and also to look at the ground i see moss, which because of certain trees thirst for water moss is usually the only thing that will grow.

i do simpathize with you on having to deal with looking at the mess .

I have one question............did your neighbor's property look like that before you moved in?

It looks like your neighbor is using his property to make some income. I don't see a whole lot wrong with that. If you don't like how his place looks then don't look over there! Maybe you would be happier on a city lot?

Interesting bit:

My township is looking to get permits for home based business's. I suppose they want their cut.

Also they just stopped leaf and debris burning which I thought a good idea. I was over at Tony's the other day, that place is just a mess, crap everywhere, he dumps a bunch of trash from wood splitting into an old oil tank, pours gas on it and sets it afire, He uses my blower to get it going. The smoke is wafting through everybodies place. You should have seen it. I don't think that is right.

discounthunter:
unsplit rounds sat on the fence line for three years, soil is definetly septic. I can bounce it back with some Espoma, may take a season or two.

Rftreeman:
Good question!
I closed on the house in the middle of the winter, little bit of snow cover. Thought the boats were on trailers, saw a lot of rounds stacked in the middle of the yard and a splitter. I was told that the guy next door sells firewood during the heating season, no noise - no mess - no fuss.
I figure to myself, 'Hey the chap must be a hard worker, I know what's it like to split and stack'. Come spring as the snow melts I see a different picture, not as bad as the photos depict - but it concerns me.

I figure to myself, 'Hey the chap must be a hard worker, I know what's it like to split and stack'.

Well as time goes on I see alot of landscaping trucks droping off the days rounds, and little spliting & stacking. Alot of jaw and no paw, now I know it only counts as firewood if it's split and stacked in the same season, but for five years?

Patience finally ran out when I was overun with feral cats and the view, and a realtor appraising the house (real market) for 100K less than I purchased it for. Realtor said that due to the neighbor's activities I would take the hit on the sale.

I had the neighbor quote me a tree pruning job which required a climber, climbing I don't do. So I accept his price, throw in an extra Franklin for the crew for lunch. Job paid in full & in advance:censored:

Well the job barely got started and never got finished, since then I use another arborist if the job entails climbing. Since all of this went down I've been on the warpath, tomahawk - headress and all (ain't no peace pipe here)
Just showed me alot about this guy's work ethic and all.

I figure if either my wife or myself (or both) of us were to expire tomorrow, and the last one standing had to sell the house quick, this guy's wood cutting mess would cost 100K in the pocket!

Again, please take your neighbors into consideration when spliting and stackin'

Here's Bunker Hill:

With all due respect, I have seen alot of places that look ALOT worse than that. Maybe the guy is a scumbag, I dont know him, and you live next to him, so you probly know better than I do, but all in all, it's not immaculate, but it's not horrible either. I have worked on some people's properties that look like junk yards.

I am cutting timber off of 80 acre in SE Oklahoma right now, and the women that owns it might as well have a junk yard. Theres about 30 cars that I have counted so far, 2 destroyed trailer houses, an F600 (which I am kinda interested in...) and about 100 tons of steel beams, aluminum siding, and other crap that may or may not be worth something to someone other than me. Oh, and the 100+ felled cedar trees that are atleast 5 years old and rotting, that she insists are worth something.

I understand you gotta live next to this, but all in all, it's not that bad.

Just my 2 cents.

T

With all due respect, I have seen alot of places that look ALOT worse than that. Maybe the guy is a scumbag, I dont know him, and you live next to him, so you probly know better than I do, but all in all, it's not immaculate, but it's not horrible either. I have worked on some people's properties that look like junk yards.

I am cutting timber off of 80 acre in SE Oklahoma right now, and the women that owns it might as well have a junk yard. Theres about 30 cars that I have counted so far, 2 destroyed trailer houses, an F600 (which I am kinda interested in...) and about 100 tons of steel beams, aluminum siding, and other crap that may or may not be worth something to someone other than me. Oh, and the 100+ felled cedar trees that are atleast 5 years old and rotting, that she insists are worth something.

I understand you gotta live next to this, but all in all, it's not that bad.
I agreeone.

Just my 2 cents.

T

I agree, its just a mid level craphole, not a full bore dungheap.

Sounds like you really wanted to live a little closer to the Hamptons or Manhattan. The middle ground is for the proletariat.

" If there is hope, it lies in the Proles"
No seriously, that place is a craphole, a dumpsite pure a simple. If the owner of that property feels it Ok that everybody should have to put up with his mess then he is a hack with no pride. Clean it up, make it look nice, respectable. Not like no Sanford and Son BS, like some welfare collectin mofo.

discounthunter:
unsplit rounds sat on the fence line for three years, soil is definetly septic. I can bounce it back with some Espoma, may take a season or two.

Rftreeman:
Good question!
I closed on the house in the middle of the winter, little bit of snow cover. Thought the boats were on trailers, saw a lot of rounds stacked in the middle of the yard and a splitter. I was told that the guy next door sells firewood during the heating season, no noise - no mess - no fuss.
I figure to myself, 'Hey the chap must be a hard worker, I know what's it like to split and stack'. Come spring as the snow melts I see a different picture, not as bad as the photos depict - but it concerns me.

I figure to myself, 'Hey the chap must be a hard worker, I know what's it like to split and stack'.

Well as time goes on I see alot of landscaping trucks droping off the days rounds, and little spliting & stacking. Alot of jaw and no paw, now I know it only counts as firewood if it's split and stacked in the same season, but for five years?

Patience finally ran out when I was overun with feral cats and the view, and a realtor appraising the house (real market) for 100K less than I purchased it for. Realtor said that due to the neighbor's activities I would take the hit on the sale.

I had the neighbor quote me a tree pruning job which required a climber, climbing I don't do. So I accept his price, throw in an extra Franklin for the crew for lunch. Job paid in full & in advance:censored:

Well the job barely got started and never got finished, since then I use another arborist if the job entails climbing. Since all of this went down I've been on the warpath, tomahawk - headress and all (ain't no peace pipe here)
Just showed me alot about this guy's work ethic and all.

I figure if either my wife or myself (or both) of us were to expire tomorrow, and the last one standing had to sell the house quick, this guy's wood cutting mess would cost 100K in the pocket!

Again, please take your neighbors into consideration when spliting and stackin'

Here's Bunker Hill:
you remind me of a bunch of yuppies that bought property that backed against an old tobacco farmer's place here and they didn't like how HIS property looked after THEY bought, built and moved in, long story short, he ended up in jail and his property commended and now he has a $30,000 clean up bill lien on his property that he'll never be able to pay because he lost his shirt trying to defend himself against some yuppie lawyer that didn't like the view out his back door.....

nothing personal but I think you should mind your own business until he gives you a legitimate reason not to and by that I mean things like encroachment, damage and or threats of any kind, yes, he'd get sued for the job for the incomplete job.......

you remind me of a bunch of yuppies that bought property that backed against an old tobacco farmer's place here and they didn't like how HIS property looked after THEY bought, built and moved in, long story short, he ended up in jail and his property commended and now he has a $30,000 clean up bill lien on his property that he'll never be able to pay because he lost his shirt trying to defend himself against some yuppie lawyer that didn't like the view out his back door.....

nothing personal but I think you should mind your own business until he gives you a legitimate reason not to and by that I mean things like encroachment, damage and or threats of any kind, yes, he'd get sued for the job for the incomplete job.......

Jail? What did he start shootin at the yuppies? I see what you mean though but this craphole is right up against the fence line in a residential neighborhood. And it just sits. All that crap. Right there.

Jail? What did he start shootin at the yuppies? I see what you mean though but this craphole is right up against the fence line in a residential neighborhood. And it just sits. All that crap. Right there.
he was jailed for terroristic threats and failure to comply, he didn't tear down his old in bad shape barn and haul away his dead non working farm equipment that had weeds growing up around it and he told a nosy lawyer neighbor to stay off his property taking pictures because he might get blown up should he step in the wrong place, I think he did have one old bus he used for storage and a old house trailer used for the same thing...old guy lived there all his life and has lost it all now because someone didn't mind their own business.....

Last edited:
you remind me of a bunch of yuppies

Yuppie (short for "young urban professional" or "young upwardly-mobile professional")[1] is a 1980s and early 1990s term for financially secure, upper-middle class young people in their 20s and early 30s. [2]. Although its first usage was as a media catchphrase, it eventually became somewhat derogatory in nature. Wikipedia

Wow! Actually I'm closer to being the secretary of defense than I am to a 'Yuppie'.
Come to think of it, I'm the type to pick my nose while I re-pack wheel bearings by hand.

Reason for the post was to convey the thought of "What does my yard look like to my neighbor"? Some don't care, some will never care - that's life.
When my neighbor's house looks like a C-130 (spookyload) hung around for 30 minutes it becomes a problem indeed.
Keep in mind please, land parcels where I live are between 3/4 to 1 1/2 acres, property taxes on the average are 9K through 15K, hits home at the least.
Problem has become worse with every year, much worse than when I moved in. Believe it or not, it's not the mess that bothers me the most, it's the laziness of this guy, and the same story every year "Oh, I'll clean up this spring"

To those that don't care or ever will consider this:
1) If your zoned for residential, be discreet when running a business out of the yard. Play Nice!

2) If your yard is impacting on the property value of your neighbor's house, expect some problems, can't tell yourself it wasn't coming. Play Nice!

3) If your town is anything like mine, trucks over 10,000 GVW are not allowed on private property, let alone abandoned trucks buried frame deep filled over with debris. Play Nice!

4) When running a full size skid-steer with bucket attachment on Easter Sunday morning at 0930, expect some vehicles to show up with light bars attached ontop. Play Nice!

5) When storing boat(s) on your property, please put them either on trailers or blocks, not hull deep in mud filled over with debris. I'm still waiting for Maryanne or Ginger to jump out and come over when the misses is out. Play Nice!

6) OPINION Only counts as fire wood when split and stacked, not nessesarily neatly - but with some type of effort. Play Nice!

7) NYS DEC - no firewood brought in from outside a 50 mile radius, EAB & Longhorn problems up here, as elsewhere in the region. Think this guy has a conscience as to where the wood is from? Play Nice!

8) Most important, you never know when your neighbor has had enough of the crap. Play Nice!

The Yuppie

Well,

....that last picture did it. They're slobs, sorry you have to live next to the Klopeks. They don't even have the decency to put appliances by the Saturn.

Last edited:
Yuppie (short for "young urban professional" or "young upwardly-mobile professional")[1] is a 1980s and early 1990s term for financially secure, upper-middle class young people in their 20s and early 30s. [2]. Although its first usage was as a media catchphrase, it eventually became somewhat derogatory in nature. Wikipedia

Wow! Actually I'm closer to being the secretary of defense than I am to a 'Yuppie'.
Come to think of it, I'm the type to pick my nose while I re-pack wheel bearings by hand.

Reason for the post was to convey the thought of "What does my yard look like to my neighbor"? Some don't care, some will never care - that's life.
When my neighbor's house looks like a C-130 (spookyload) hung around for 30 minutes it becomes a problem indeed.
Keep in mind please, land parcels where I live are between 3/4 to 1 1/2 acres, property taxes on the average are 9K through 15K, hits home at the least.
Problem has become worse with every year, much worse than when I moved in. Believe it or not, it's not the mess that bothers me the most, it's the laziness of this guy, and the same story every year "Oh, I'll clean up this spring"

To those that don't care or ever will consider this:
1) If your zoned for residential, be discreet when running a business out of the yard. Play Nice!

2) If your yard is impacting on the property value of your neighbor's house, expect some problems, can't tell yourself it wasn't coming. Play Nice!

3) If your town is anything like mine, trucks over 10,000 GVW are not allowed on private property, let alone abandoned trucks buried frame deep filled over with debris. Play Nice!

4) When running a full size skid-steer with bucket attachment on Easter Sunday morning at 0930, expect some vehicles to show up with light bars attached ontop. Play Nice!

5) When storing boat(s) on your property, please put them either on trailers or blocks, not hull deep in mud filled over with debris. I'm still waiting for Maryanne or Ginger to jump out and come over when the misses is out. Play Nice!

6) OPINION Only counts as fire wood when split and stacked, not nessesarily neatly - but with some type of effort. Play Nice!

7) NYS DEC - no firewood brought in from outside a 50 mile radius, EAB & Longhorn problems up here, as elsewhere in the region. Think this guy has a conscience as to where the wood is from? Play Nice!

8) Most important, you never know when your neighbor has had enough of the crap. Play Nice!

The Yuppie
Now you're starting to sound like some women I use to know, you knew the guy was a slob when you bought the house but figured that you could make him clean it up...

sell your house, take your loss and be done with it or get over it...

I would have never bought your house when I saw the abandoned truck, boat, car and other stuff piled up, that would have told me what kind of person he is, it's your fault for being naive and trusting the realtor's or whoever's word, some of them are worst than lawyers.......

I think this has more to do with the fact he stiffed you on the tree job and maybe this is your way of getting him back, I wonder if he's a member..

play nice...

as suggested before, put up a fence on his side or plant a tree buffer....

Last edited:
Back