Mich. man kills wife with chain saw in accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeman73

treeman73

ArboristSite Lurker
Prevention is worth a pound

So sad.

I was thinking about this the other day. When a homeowner goes to Home Cheapo or Lowes to buy a chainsaw they should be brought to a special room and forced to watch a 20 minute video on chainsaw safety and then pass a 20 question test before being able to buy a chainsaw.

Accidents like this should never happen.

My prayers are with the family.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I feel for the guy, can't imagine what he's feeling. It must have been a marriage that lived as a team.

I"m on a forum for stayathomedads, that's where I'd heard of this incident, and the guys knew that if my safety protocol was followed, it would never have happened. So, in my own sphere of influence, the prevention of chainsaw accidents is a known effort, and includes the lessons/experiences learned from members of this site.

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
That class

When you look at the number of injuries from chain saws in the US each year requiring some sort of class is a pretty reasonable thought.

I realize that any good basic class would need to be at least one day.

Realistically just 20 minutes is all that could get past the politics of right to kill myself America.

It would be a start.

That 20 minute video could have about 5 interviews with folks who have really suffered like above.

ASETECH

ASETECH

ArboristSite Operative
When you look at the number of injuries from chain saws in the US each year requiring some sort of class is a pretty reasonable thought.

I realize that any good basic class would need to be at least one day.

Realistically just 20 minutes is all that could get past the politics of right to kill myself America.

It would be a start.

That 20 minute video could have about 5 interviews with folks who have really suffered like above.

While prevantable loss of life is a tradgety to be avioded, i do not believe more regulation or more government will help any of us. In a free society it's all about individual rights and responsibilities. It's not up to a regulatory comitee (OSHA) to keep me safe. It's up tp me.

I am sorry for this family and thier loss. I wish it had been prevented, but i believe in freedom and smaller government.

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the neck , accident ???:monkey:

That's not in the least surprising or hard to believe. He's cutting on the ground, she's at his side, close, looking on, he digs in the nose and KICKBACK takes another victim.

I don't let anyone stand close to me when I'm cutting. I can't imagine being so stupid as to need to be told that.

But then, I've seen a lot of people that are just that stupid. I see them every day on the highways.

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
While prevantable loss of life is a tradgety to be avioded, i do not believe more regulation or more government will help any of us. In a free society it's all about individual rights and responsibilities. It's not up to a regulatory comitee (OSHA) to keep me safe. It's up tp me.

I am sorry for this family and thier loss. I wish it had been prevented, but i believe in freedom and smaller government.

The problem though is that his lack of personal responsibility killed someone ELSE. I don't have much sympathy for someone who kills themselves out of their own stupidity - in fact it can often be humorous - but her personal rights were infringed upon by someone essentially wielding a weapon because he didn't know how to use it properly as a tool. I know you could say that it was also her lack of responsibility, but in the end he was the one with the chainsaw so the end blame is his. It may be common sense to not walk in front of someone with a gun, but if someone does and gets shot, it's still the shooter's fault. I'm not advocating mass regulation of chainsaw ownership or anything, but most of these box-store things don't even come with what I would call a respectable owner's manual.

Having said all that, freak accidents do happen even to the best-trained folks, so it's entirely possible he was being fairly safe with the exception of the proximity to his wife.

treeoperations

treeoperations

ArboristSite Operative
there are more accidents like this then you hear about and even more near misses, i am all for being able to do what you want with some degree of freedom but you need a liscense to own a gun and so why not a chain saw accidents are still going to happen but it would at least start getting rid of idiots that shouldnt have a saw.

i have nearly been killed by a home owner with nothing but mush between his ears so i am all for restricting who can buy and use a chainsaw there just as deadly as guns and as cars so whats the difference

fsfcks

fsfcks

ArboristSite Operative
Unfortunately neither training nor licensing will prevent all accidents. Training and licensing, if designed appropriately, could at best reduce the number and severity of accidents. However licensing usually implies regulations, which reduces freedoms and implies penalties or criminal prosecution for non-compliance etc. It is never a zero sum game.

Sometimes I wonder what society will look like in 40 years with the increasing push for regulation and restriction of anything that might even remotely cause any injuries or deaths. Compare childhood 40 years ago with now.

rdbrumfield

rdbrumfield

ArboristSite Operative
The bottom line is, there are some folks that should never drive, others that should never hold a firearm, and there are those that shouldn't pick up chainsaws, pitchforks, axes and uncountless other hand TOOLS.

Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
but her personal rights were infringed upon by someone essentially wielding a weapon because he didn't know how to use it properly as a tool

No, she shares responsibility because her own choices contributed. If you walk down the centerline of the road instead of on the shoulder and get hit, is it the driver's fault?

The government that governs the least governs the best. Tragic episode, but certainly nothing worthy of regulation.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
No, she shares responsibility because her own choices contributed. If you walk down the centerline of the road instead of on the shoulder and get hit, is it the driver's fault?

The government that governs the least governs the best. Tragic episode, but certainly nothing worthy of regulation.
Yes you always Yield to pedestrians, everyone knows that.

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
There is no law or ordnance that will effectively protect the ignorant from themselves.

They cast the letters "C" and "H" into the shower controls, yet every day some idjit burns the crap outta themselves by turning the wrong knob.

They put warning stickers all over lawn mowers, and add all manner of safety gadgets to the things to the point they only cut grass with extreme input applied.... yet every day, some doofus runs his foot over with a riding mower.

Fer cryin' out loud I was reading the other day that some speedbump is suing the folks who make Murine eye drops, cuz he scratched his eyeball with the dropper bottle...

It's sad the Lady bled to death, because it COULD have been avoided.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

pelhamjeff

pelhamjeff

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
There is no law or ordnance that will effectively protect the ignorant from themselves.

They cast the letters "C" and "H" into the shower controls, yet every day some idjit burns the crap outta themselves by turning the wrong knob.

They put warning stickers all over lawn mowers, and add all manner of safety gadgets to the things to the point they only cut grass with extreme input applied.... yet every day, some doofus runs his foot over with a riding mower.

Fer cryin' out loud I was reading the other day that some speedbump is suing the folks who make Murine eye drops, cuz he scratched his eyeball with the dropper bottle...

It's sad the Lady bled to death, because it COULD have been avoided.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You're absolutely right! :cheers:

Latest posts