Midsize SUVs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We were in the market for a newer midsize SUV and I have found that there really isn't such a vehicle being made anymore.
Oh they CALL them SUVs, but there is almost nothing utility about them. Just large cars really.
Really wanted a decent RWD midsize with a V6 with decent towing for a small trailer.
I think the Pathfinder was the closest I could find.
GM and Ford don't even make them anymore.
Dodge Durango maybe, but I refuse to buy another Dodge.
I miss the Blazers and Explorers of old.

While not a popular choice, I was having a similar problem, wanted a small suv, 4x4 that could tow a pair of dirt bikes. Looked at Volvo as they offered decent towing capacity (3500lbs). Ended up getting one, so far it’s been a nice car. Good milage 32-33. Good power 285hp from a turbo 4cyl.

Gone are the days of a rugged suv in the mid sized market. I wouldn't touch anything Nissan after all the issues both my brothers have had with theirs. My older brother had a trans go bad from the factory trans cooler leaking (known issue, Nissan refuses to do anything about) then his rear k member rotted clean off the frame. The frame and body are about pristine I have no idea why the k member was so rotten when the rest of the vehicle is basically rot free. Then my younger brother bought a 18 titan, fricken transmission issues from day one, and cracked exhaust manifolds. The trans was replaced under warranty once already, but still does the same goofy doesn't know what gear it's in stuff, and random 3 gear down shifts with minimal pedal position change. Screw that. Both known issues that Nissan hasn't taken care of, and don't get me started on the less then worthless cvt transmission. Don't haul anything with one of them, even boat anchors have more value. I wish Toyota was better priced and didn't rot so bad, I wish honda didn't have such sissy suvs too. I have a first gen crv and it's great, too small but great for what it is. Sits up high enough has 4wd and has been dead reliable. The pilot is one of the vehicles my wife had been looking at recently, but idk if I want to give up the Honda or the expedition if we do get another suv. The new exploders are darn near as big as my expedition but all pansied out. Yeah idk what I'd be getting in. The mid sized market either.

Toyota still makes the 4-runner. I have worked on and driven one and they are a beefy little SUV. Other than abysmal fuel milage, the only problem is they are very pricy vehicle but they do hold their value. Ford is reported to be making the full-sized Broncho if you can afford to wait. Another option would be a Tacoma with a rear cap.

Chrysler, Chrysler, Chrysler.
Dead or defective in garages everywhere..... junk, junk, junk.
Mom's owned a jeep as long as I can remember, about the time the 4.0l went away and they embraced independent suspension they went down hill as far as a capable suv goes. She drives all of 2 miles to work one way, and normally trades them in with right around 50k miles on them. Her jump from 98 to 07 was the worst. Constant electrical issues, took a new starter, and water pump before the 30k mark, she got rid of it when the dash would randomly stop working. This 15 she has now has been decent, but still doesn't have many miles on it yet. Pretty sure it will be her last jeep. No comments on the Durango, other then I hear they get crap millage.

I know very few people with Chrysler products that have over 100k miles on them that haven't had a ton of problems with them.
Except for their large trucks.
Apparently they did some of those right
If it wasn't for cummins there wouldn't be a dodge/ram/ Chrysler truck anymore. Owned and driven plenty of them. The engine was about the only thing that I was impressed with... the mini vans seems to hang in there for some reason too..

Chevy's do break.
They just don't break the bank.
I have done many repairs on my old Suburban, very few that cost me very much.
Seeing as how I do the work myself, I would rather a $50 repair here and there than a $4,000 transmission less often.
That's just me.
I ain't knocking Toyotas.

Back