Midwest gtg 09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well let's see, 4 hours + to Baraboo or 30 minutes to Antique Acres?

Sorry, I had to edit the whole post, I will be out of the country the last two weeks of August (Vietnam/Japan).

Unbelievable

Mark

P.S. I will try to find a place and some stuff to cut for a GTG in September, assuming I am allowed to spend a week or two around in September.

That's bad news.
Yes, Steve Stokes is the Stihl Dealer out of Janesville. The regional represenative will also be there with his van load of goodies. There will be bleachers, log stand, demo saws to try out, PPE will also be provided, he'll have a couple skid loaders, etc. He was talking about taking the pine logs to the saw mill and having 10x10 cants cut. It sounds like he wants to do two man races doing 3 cuts.
I think the featured tractors this year at the power show are MM, and white.

Last edited:
If you guys go are any of you going to get a hotel/motel?
My drive would be an 8 hour drive. That's 16 both ways plus the hours spend during the event. That's almost 24 hours of staying up.
I personally would have to stay the night. I'm thinking driving up the day before.

I'm with him it's nine hours for me one way. I have never been to one of these gtg. I have wanted to go, this one is the closest I have seen. I hate to ask but how does it compare to other gtg is it worth the 9 hours.

I live where everone thinks the wildthing is the big saw, no gtg in this area.

Last edited:
I'm with him it's nine hours for me one way. I have never been to one of these gtg. I have wanted to go, this one is the closest I have seen. I hate to ask but how does it compare to other gtg is it worth the 9 hours.

I live where everone thinks the wildthing is the big saw, no gtg in this area.

Also I forgot in my last post, are saws bought and sold at gtg? I'm always looking for a project.
This GTG is special obviously because it’s right in the middle of an Antique Power Show under the Stihl tent. Plus there will be lots of people. Other than that it’s just a typical chainsaw get together. I don’t think you will find much used stuff for sale, of course that all depends on what people bring.
The big saws are rare in my area too.

Last edited:
Wow this thing has the potential to be a real blast. It's been years since I was at the power show, do they still have the old sawmill set up. I could spend all day looking at that!! Probably more than 40 years ago I was there when they had a huge old steam engine pulling a 14 bottom plow. This thing had a platform to walk on and adjust the depth of the share. I was selected to to be one of the "adjusters" and we went across the field and back, the amount plowed in just 2 passes was unbelievable for those days. I'm looking forward to this. Hey Mark you could go to the GTG and be MIA on the Vietnam trip, SORRY, bad joke. JR

Here is some info out of the Farm Show Directory. It is well worth the price.

Bill

---bump.

Here is some info out of the Farm Show Directory. It is well worth the price.

Bill
Thanks for posting that information Bill.
Cut up the first load today for the GTG, some pine and maple.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Second GTG later on

I have located a place with several trees to be taken down, owner of the place says bring all your friends.

I am looking ahead towards October since I won't be around much before then.

I won't hijack this thread but will try to post more on the second GTG later on.

I will have a few saws ready with instructions to my sons to attend the Antique Acres event.

I do plan to go to Boscobel next weekend, my last fling before leaving the country.

Mark

Sounds like a plan, keep us posted Mark.

When Steve gets his trailer unloaded I have more logs to get for the Antique Acres Event.:cheers:

Grant,

Can you give us any idea of what the schedule will be? I am trying to coordinate with my sons to join the fun and bring a truck load of my saws including the SP125's and a few other vintage saws.

Let us know so I can pass the word along.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
It looks like things will get started around 11:00 a.m. this Sunday.
We have sized pine logs 20 and 16 inches in diameter. The logs will have a 6 inch area marked for the cutter to make 3 cookies out of.

I was able to talk with my son Josh, he is expecting to be there with the McCulloch 125's and a few other saws. I am trying to persuade him to bring a D-44, 55, and 1-85 as well as the 125's and a 7-10. They may not be fast but they do make a lot of noise.

Sounds like he located a couple more vintage saw for me this week as well.

Can't wait to get home again some day.

Mark

Yeah I talked to Josh Sunday and he said you had a short bar and a tiny chain setup on the 125. I was cutting a pine tree for Whalen with the 262xp and Josh came over to see what all the noise was about.
Whalen saved the pine logs for you.

Back