MillerModSaws plays with 440R/046D Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also with racing engines a large efficient intake port works better with shorter intake duration and higher lift with a later intake opening point, this is called lobe area. Same principal, its all about managing the airflow at the correct time. Instead of lift we deal with port width, and port height is duration, and valve open and close event is just port open and close events.

I think about the case volume, intake tract size, carb size, transfer configuration, and bar length.

At this point, experience is my biggest asset. There are some saw models that I've done 100 or more of. I've never stopped trying different things so I keep learning.
As of recently I've been looking at piston speed quite a bit. I've found some interesting stuff.

Don't leave that little thing called Velocity out of the mix. Low velocity and the carb don't get the proper signal.....

I think a lot about transfer velocity.........no so much about intake velocity though. I wonder if I'm missing something there.

Did I miss what piston is in this saw? I was just looking at my 460apart on the bench and I'm just at the cusp of freeporting with iirc .03-.035 from the base with no gasket.

Posts disappearing is the reason that these things never are finished.

Just saying.

They never end any way Randy, you and Brad just drag it along to the next thread concerning porting. It is ok to have differences in opinions, just keep posting what you each do, leave the personal attacks out of it. This personal stuff just mucks up a good thread!

Also the taller 064 piston could allow more compression without cutting the cylinder base as much(keep the strength), or just allow that much more vs the standard 046 piston. Of course skirt and pin boss machining is needed along with port adjustments.

Back