MillerModSaws plays with 440R/046D Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go back and look I said that you're not going to get time area without affecting duration some.
Why not just take as much from the ceiling to start with , leave the intake around 77 and avoid losing torque with longer bars? U will still keep higher rpm in the cut , keep the torque, avoid spit back and use less fuel right?

Why not just take as much from the ceiling to start with , leave the intake around 77 and avoid losing torque with longer bars? U will still keep higher rpm in the cut , keep the torque, avoid spit back and use less fuel right?
Raising the ceiling will increase duration but it's not going to be a dramatic increase, nor will you hinder the saws ability to trap the incoming charge.

Also the taller 064 piston could allow more compression without cutting the cylinder base as much(keep the strength), or just allow that much more vs the standard 046 piston. Of course skirt and pin boss machining is needed along with port adjustments.

My favorite saw right now is a mildly-ported 046 that Randy cut the squish on and is running an 064 piston.

My understanding is that the intake opens and closes at it's floor. If your raise the roof, I see how it increases the area of the port. How does that not increase the duration that the port is open for? Isn't the bottom of the piston skirt above the intake port roof at TDC? Clearly I'm not understanding something everyone else is.

Seems to me that raising the intake roof doesn’t increase ‘duration’ because of the way we define the term as it applies to the intake port.
We’re only measuring the amount in degrees (as the port opens) that the piston skirt is clear of the port floor, not the open area it sweeps.
The duration number stays the same regardless of the height of the port.

What’s applicable here is the duration number doesn’t take into account the possibility that the piston skirt in some instances can travel past the roof.
It’s saying how long the port is open but not how much time/area it could potentially have by raising the port ceiling to the maximum limits set by both the height of the piston skirt at tdc and the rings at bdc.

Lots of different theory's here about intake, what about transfer height? How does it affect rpm and torque? I know it differs on each saw, should this hybrid have different transfer height than a regular 046, because of the velocity created by the smaller case?

Lots of different theory's here about intake, what about transfer height? How does it affect rpm and torque? I know it differs on each saw, should this hybrid have different transfer height than a regular 046, because of the velocity created by the smaller case?
Completely dependent on transfer design. It's way different conversation when you start talking about transfers. Honestly I don't mind answering questions but this isn't my thread and I think we've taken attention from OP.

I typically run 16° of blowdown on a 460. I've run as little as 14° on a hybrid, but usually a little more. Short blowdown is critical to the performance of these saws. You'll also want to advance the ignition around 6°.

I know it's far from apples to apples but...
Extrapolating from conversations regarding the small crankcase volume of the 7900 and longer blowdown... Could the 440/460 hybrid benefit from a bit more, rather than less?

I was talking about transfer design of the 046, and the hybrid, I wouldn't think the op would mind hearing different ideas either :D
Dual port piston fed transfers aren't high velocity transfers. Anything specific you're looking to know?

I see lots of people use 118 for transfer height, what makes this such a good number?
That's only a traditional ballpark number. In no way does it apply to every model. For example, some strato saws will go with 10° of blowdown. On the other end of the spectrum, the 7900 needs more like 28°. Trial and error is required with every model to find the sweet spot.

That's only a traditional ballpark number. In no way does it apply to every model. For example, some strato saws will go with 10° of blowdown. On the other end of the spectrum, the 7900 needs more like 28°. Trial and error is required with every model to find the sweet spot.
So when you are building a saw, let's say you have it all back together and run it, how would you determine if you needed to go a few degrees more on tranfer or stay where you are at? Would you be able to notice 3 to 4 degrees?

Latest posts

Back