Mini skid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Went in business a couple of years ago. Just a summer side gig because I love to climb and my 2 sons are about to enter college. One of my first purchases was a new 30 horse Kubota with a grapple. Salesman convinced me that was what I needed. I use it for about 5 percent of my jobs. It's not making me any money. I knew it was a mistake right away.
If I wanted to really grow this business I would buy a bigger tracked skid-steer. But I want to stay small.
Have been thinking ever since I bought that Kubota I should have bought one of those mini skids. The MT55 Bobcat. Kubota rep is driving 150 miles to demo it for me later in the week. Told my wife this, and she's currently not talking to me. She's got me doubting myself about this. Initially I wasted a lot of money on stuff I rarely use that I kick myself for. But I think I would use this mini-skid on at-least 80% of my jobs. I think I'm going to be telling myself I made the right decision.
Can someone please give me your feedback on what to do?

No tracks, but I have this and love it!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

He has two more for a decent price last I knew of.

If you want new, look hard at the Boxer machines! Then lok for the Branch manager grapple, it's a life saver!

I'd say demo as many different units as you can. I know equipment dealers are hurting right now and are willing to go the extra mile for a sale. What about a trade-in? Might soften the price a bit.

I have the exact same machine and grapple as sawinredneck and love mine as well. There is a lot of info here on minis, use the search feature to find other threads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Keep in mind, minis do have their limitations.

I agree with Junior and demo (or rent) as many as you can.

I haven't found to many limits on my boxer. I does what ever I ask it to. I have put two big guys on the back to move big wood. Tracks take you almost anywhere with no damage. I have a A300 that sits at the shop more than it works on jobs. Mini is the way to go in this business. You can always rent a big skidsteer if needed.

I have a ditch witch with a ryan's grapple. One of the best things I could do with my business. Just get a trailer that can carry a load of wood and the machine at the same time to save trips.

Mini skids

Thanks for the responses. I've done some research and am currently leaning at a Boxer track unit with a Branch Manager Grapple.
I hope I don't have many problems because I'm quiet a ways from a dealer. Can anyone tell me about issues(mechanical) I might run into with a tracked Boxer?

I have not heard of ANY problems with the Boxer machines, much less any inherint problems. Talk to Dave at Branch Manager, tell him I told you to call and ask away. He's an honest straight shooter!! If you are interested in something and wonder if it will work, he will try it and email you a video. Need parts? Give him a call and a box shows up as fast as you want it there!
The man has done nothing but impress me!

Codog I know the owner of the Boxer company. He is a top shelf guy and has the user in mind. I have an older Dingo and love it but if I were buying new there is no question , I would buy Boxer.

I have a thomas mini track loader with a branch manager grapple, bucket, forks, and land leveler and we love it. Its fast, easy on and off, easy to haul around, saves a lot of muscle/back work. I would definately reccomend getting one. I tried a bobcat and I didn't like the steering controls and the operator platform, so demo all the kinds you are interested in and then you will know what you like. Dont hesitate on the branch manager grapple, its a great tool. I have a bunch of pics on my website if you want to see them www.firelinefps.com
Good luck!

I forgot to add that if I was buying new I would go with a Boxer, I've heard lots of good things and parts are readily available. I got my Thomas used, and got it for a great deal but parts are a little hard to come by, I had to get a hydraulic filter from Dave where I got the Branch Manager Grapple. I'm not sure what I will do if something serious goes wrong, or his supply runs out. But, I only paid $7000.00 for the machine, so it's paid for itself a couple times by now.

The ditch witch gas sk500's we used to have at work were nothing but problems. From the park pin that locks the sprocket not disengaging when you try to move it to coils burning up etc etc they were complete junk. We actually had better luck with the dingos(toro) then we did witht the ditchwitches.

I have a 2002 bobcat mt50 with a 36" bucket grapple. Works great for loading stump grindings, logs, brush - you name it. I even use it to move my 55' towable aerial lift into tight spots where a bucket truck can't go.

Very very powerful and a great investment for a tree service. One of the best tools I own.

I'll sell mine for $8400 with grapple. It has 600 hours on it, new tracks, 19.2hp kubota diesel, electronic control for snowblowers, stump grinders, etc that require additional electronic controls and it runs great. (I depreciated out a lot of equipment last year for tax purposes and need to buy some new stuff).

Arborpro,
Can I ask you if you are going to get another Bobcat? If not, can you tell me why? I would love to hear what you plan to replace it with.

Arborpro,
Can I ask you if you are going to get another Bobcat? If not, can you tell me why? I would love to hear what you plan to replace it with.

I really like the bobcat line of skid steers. I've been running various size bobcat's for over 20 years now and, when I buy equipment, I tend to go with what I've had good experiences with. I've also had good experiences with Vermeer and Ditchwitch equipment so, when I buy another mini skid, I will likely check out the Ditchwitch and Vermeer track models also. I can get good service for all three in my area. I would like to try out a boxer too.

I have no reason NOT to go with bobcat again. I'm amazed at how much power this little machine has. It can tow around a 5500# towable aerial lift, pull over trees, load 2'x5' log chunks, forward brush, feed a chipper, clean up stump grindings, plow snow...all that and more with just the basic grapple bucket that I have on it.

Mini skids haven't really caught on yet in my area so, I'm the only one with a bobcat mini that I'm aware of. I've seen one Thomas wheeled mini and a couple of toros at rental places. I can't tell you the number of times I've had contractors stop and ask questions and watch me operate the bobcat. It's impressive with what it can do.

Codog, I don't know how much $ you are looking at spending, but you should check out the boxer 700 series articulated loaders. The folks at TopNotch sell them now, and with the Branch manager grapple, they are the cat's meow. I purchased a BMG from Dave for my MultiOne SL-30D and it is a whole new piece of tree machinery now. If he was close I would trade up my MultiOne for the 726, as it is not as wide, not as heavy and lifts more than the MultiOne, but they are a very similar type unit. About 25 to 26K I believe.

didnt even know theses things were around till 04 saw one in action and had to get one. dingos are a little harder to work on. I have a Bobcat MT52 and absolutley love the machine. I went with the 52 over the 55 so i could get through the smaller gates. definatley demo as many as you can. i tried the vermeer out and the dingo. didnt like the controls on the vermeer. went with the bobcat because the dealer is real close to me. the boxer , i believe, has the most lift capasity but there is no dealer anywhere near me. when you get one of these machines, everyday you find something new that you can use it for. had a hitch plate made for mine and have pulled a 665a vermeer to many stumps that a truck cant get to. they also make firewood splitting a lot easier

also, can anyone out there with a branch manager grapple tell me if it holds up. ive wanted to get one for some time but it looks a little flimsy compared to the ryans or the beaver squeezer.

My Branch manager is about two years old (mounted on a MultiOne SL30D). It has been through hell and never had a problem. We have pinched hoses by being aggressive with it, but no let downs at all. I have, on several occasions, grabbed the tongue of our Vermeer BC2000 w/grapple, and maneuvered it down a long drive, across a yard and into position. Dave put me on a heavy duty hydraulic rotator when he made it, since my unit is a "climb on and sit" type, instead of the stand-on type. We will never be without a BMG again.

Back