Mini skid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
codog,

Which 500 series Boxer did you try out? How did the boxer's controls and power compare to comparably-sized vermeer and ditchwitch models)?

Boxer has the best deal on Minis I have seen since I sold Thomas's.
Boxer wants to clear out there old inventory, the machines are new 08's and 07's full warranty.
The 320 in this sale is priced $1250 below my dealer cost! you cannot go wrong at 10 grand for this little 34.5" powerhouse.

http://www.swiftpage8.com/SpeClicks....HQQTOHH40BZCWN

These prices are only good till April 31st, so if you ever wanted one now is the time to act. I have said this before if you don't have all the cash FINANCE it!
you will not be sorry these machines will change your business for the better in so many ways.

I can set up the deal any where if you do not have a dealer near you, I will throw free shipping on my BMG grapple to help sweeten the deal a little.

Use My email [email protected] if you want to get the ball rolling. this is the best pricing I have seen in years an it is only good till the 31st or they sell out there inventory.

I wouldn't worry about Boxer going out of BIz. Having bin a Thomas, Ramrod, and now a boxer dealer(too many stories) I can say that these machines are butt simple and aftermarket parts seem very accessable.

On Mini Grapples If I can toot my horn:
You need to note the way the Vermeer grapple hanger is designed, your machine's arms are much higher when carrying a load, making it less stable. Also the way that it swings is rigid making it less efficient for feeding a chipper.
Both Ryans "40" and Beaver "50" are good grapples, they put alot more machining into there hangers then mine, which only means if you have problems they are harder to repair. They also push the rotator which is totaly uneccessary for a stand up mini. Mine hanger and rotation is pretty simple 1/4" 3X3 tube, I don't think one has ever broke. The Rope Bollard comes in so handy, my grapple is the only one with it, plus mine is the only one that you can add a rake too (but thats another treeguy story).

Sorry for Rant
Dave another Tree Guy

Boxer has the best deal on Minis I have seen since I sold Thomas's.
Boxer wants to clear out there old inventory, the machines are new 08's and 07's full warranty.
The 320 in this sale is priced $1250 below my dealer cost! you cannot go wrong at 10 grand for this little 34.5" powerhouse.

http://www.swiftpage8.com/SpeClicks....HQQTOHH40BZCWN

These prices are only good till April 31st, so if you ever wanted one now is the time to act. I have said this before if you don't have all the cash FINANCE it!
you will not be sorry these machines will change your business for the better in so many ways.

I can set up the deal any where if you do not have a dealer near you, I will throw free shipping on my BMG grapple to help sweeten the deal a little.

Use My email [email protected] if you want to get the ball rolling. this is the best pricing I have seen in years an it is only good till the 31st or they sell out there inventory.

I wouldn't worry about Boxer going out of BIz. Having bin a Thomas, Ramrod, and now a boxer dealer(too many stories) I can say that these machines are butt simple and aftermarket parts seem very accessable.

On Mini Grapples If I can toot my horn:
You need to note the way the Vermeer grapple hanger is designed, your machine's arms are much higher when carrying a load, making it less stable. Also the way that it swings is rigid making it less efficient for feeding a chipper.
Both Ryans "40" and Beaver "50" are good grapples, they put alot more machining into there hangers then mine, which only means if you have problems they are harder to repair. They also push the rotator which is totaly uneccessary for a stand up mini. Mine hanger and rotation is pretty simple 1/4" 3X3 tube, I don't think one has ever broke. The Rope Bollard comes in so handy, my grapple is the only one with it, plus mine is the only one that you can add a rake too (but thats another treeguy story).

Sorry for Rant
Dave another Tree Guy

Dave,

Can you get the 500 series models listed in the April sales event? I am most interested in the 526dx, 530x and 532dx models. Any input as to whether the 526dx diesel model would have more power than the 530x gas model for pushing around a 5500# towable aerial lift? My bobcat mt-50 has a 20hp diesel and 14.3gpm hydraulics and is just enough muscle to move it around. I would like to go bigger but I don't know which would serve me better - the 26hp diesel or 30hp gas...? the price tag on the 530x is $3k less than the 526dx. Is the diesel motor worth that much more in terms of extra power and fewer problems?

I looked at the 427x and, while the engine power looks sufficient, I don't think the 12.6gmp hydraulics will be sufficient for moving my lift around.

Last edited:
The 500 I tried was a tracked, 30 hp Kohler. I think it is only a couple hundred pounds more then the 300, but it felt like twice the machine. I would like diesel, but I haven't hand any problem with the Kohler engines I've had.
Someone mentioned just hiring an extra groundie, because I'm only a side gig. But I think I could make a hell of a lot more money, and sleep better at night with one of these in my garage.
I've done a lot of research and I think Boxer is the way to go, so I haven't tried any of the other brands.

Someone mentioned just hiring an extra groundie, because I'm only a side gig. But I think I could make a hell of a lot more money, and sleep better at night with one of these in my garage.

You are right on man, the guys that think an extra groundy is better, have no idea what they are missing. If you don't use it every day it will just last you longer. I have sold over a hundred of different minis, alot of those owners, 3 man shops to 3 crew shops, wish they would have bought it years earlier when they first heard of em. Hell some guys still hide them from there competition! Now thats a testimonial to what a mini will do for your tree biz If you are still humpin by hand your the new caveman.

I've done a lot of research and I think Boxer is the way to go, so I haven't tried any of the other brands.
Can you get the 500 series models listed in the April sales event? I am most interested in the 526dx, 530x and 532dx models. Any input as to whether the 526dx diesel model would have more power than the 530x gas model for pushing around a 5500# towable aerial lift? My bobcat mt-50 has a 20hp diesel and 14.3gpm hydraulics and is just enough muscle to move it around. I would like to go bigger but I don't know which would serve me better - the 26hp diesel or 30hp gas...? the price tag on the 530x is $3k less than the 526dx. Is the diesel motor worth that much more in terms of extra power and fewer problems?

It seems that they only have the 526DX (26hp diesel) in the sale. It boasts a little better specs than the 530X (both 14.5gpm)

Check the specs here
http://www.boxerequipment.com/500_series.html

So for the 3 grand difference I would go for the gas, thats just me and I'm cheap. 16 grand* is a hell of a buy for that machine, (*under 19K for grapple and ship). You do need all the oomf you can get if you are going to push that lift around.

The best deal of the promotion is that 320. it is a impressive little baby and for a little better than 12 grand (320 & grapple) you will buy the best groundy for your company you ever had. Do the Math, if you get 4 years out of it - its only ~ 3 grand a year. Getting home earlier, keeping your GOOD groundy happier/safer etc etc .

Talk to someone who owns one, everyday you drag by hand you could be paying the machine off and then making more bucks for your self

I'm thinking of ways to make it easier on me and my crew loading wood into the dump truck on big takedowns. How would one of these machines do with a 36" Maple round. From what I hear weight wouldn't be a problem, what would be the best attachment to pick it up with ? I'd be putting it in an F-450. I'm fixing an old trailer now and that will be nice because it's only about 16" off the ground. Thanks for your advise..... Mike

I'm thinking of ways to make it easier on me and my crew loading wood into the dump truck on big takedowns. How would one of these machines do with a 36" Maple round. From what I hear weight wouldn't be a problem, what would be the best attachment to pick it up with ? I'd be putting it in an F-450. I'm fixing an old trailer now and that will be nice because it's only about 16" off the ground. Thanks for your advise..... Mike

Are you butt loading the logs or from the side? If butt loading, then a branch manager type grapple would work best. If from the side, just a regular bucket or root rake grapple would work. The bucket grapple on my mt50 is nice for hauling stump grindings and rakings but would not work so well for butt loading 36" maple rounds. For that, a clam would be better.

Scott

Watch the machine lift heigth, my Thomas tops out at 42", the major downfall of the machine. But with the BMG you can add a good six inches to that (on my machine) on a larger one you may get more.
I really like the BMG a lot better than I thought I would for a lot of reasons. With a grapple bucket you have to have everything cut to the width of the bucket or try and grab ends of peices to fit narow gates or pathways. With the BMG you can grab piles of brush and not have to slash them. You can grab longer pieces of wood and manuver them etc.
But I am biased.

The bmg style grapple is the best tool for a tree service, bucket grapples limit your production alot.

The bmg style grapple is the best tool for a tree service, bucket grapples limit your production alot.

Depends on what type of tree work you do. I can attest that the bucket grapple I have on my machine is more productive for what I do than a BMG would be.

However, for many others, the BMG is more productive.

One shoe does not fit every foot...

I'll give you a few specific examples of why a bucket grapple can be a better choice than a clam-type (BMG or other).

Last night was stump grinding night for me. I towed my vermeer sc252 grinder and my bobcat mt50 mini skid side by side on my 14' flatbed trailer. As I finished the first job, the neighbor asked for a quote on grinding out a 48" poplar stump from a tree that had blown over a few years back. After assessing the situation, i could see that the stump was fairly rotten. Rather than grind the stump, i told him I would first try to dig it out with the mini skid. Skeptical, he agreed to let me try. Either way, ground or dug out, the price was $150.

I squeezed through the 40" gate opening and brought my mini skid into the back yard where the stump was. First, I pushed on the stump at the top (about 24" above ground) to see how loose it was. it moved but wouldn't roll over. So, I opened the grapple and got the lip of the bucket under a big root and worked the bucket under the stump. With a few tilting and twisting motions of the bucket, The root popped. i did the same from the other side. Then I pushed the bucket under the stump and rolled it right out onto the lawn. In 5 minutes, it was through the gate and loaded on the trailer. While pretty much rotten, i estimate that it weighed between 600-700 lbs. It was about all that my mini skid could lift to get it onto the trailer.

15 minutes from start to finish and $100 in my pocket (I gave him a break since it went so quickly). I wouldn't have been able to do that with a clam-type grapple. No strength in just lifting upwards. Sometimes you need to get under something and push or pry on it. For that, a bucket grapple is the only way to go.

Oh yeah - fourth job was grinding and cleaning up 2 - 25" spruce stumps. Ground them in 30 minutes and cleaned them up with the mini skid in another 20 minutes. Sorry, but you can't clean up stump grindings with a clam-type grapple - well, not very well that is. I also had to pop out some runner roots. You can't do that with a clam-type grapple either. That job paid another $150.

Total for 2.5 hours of work last night - $390 plus two more jobs landed from neighbors. Wish it was like that every night. :)

Well you sound more like the landscaping type than myself. I would have just ground the stump. And I can just carry my giant bucket if I need it.

I agree that its not for everyone, the Bmg. But once you have used it you will not be without it. I guarantee it. I always thought the same thing about root grapples on the A300, but I used a beaver squeezer at a demo and was sold.

I'll give you a few specific examples of why a bucket grapple can be a better choice than a clam-type (BMG or other).

Last night was stump grinding night for me. I towed my vermeer sc252 grinder and my bobcat mt50 mini skid side by side on my 14' flatbed trailer. As I finished the first job, the neighbor asked for a quote on grinding out a 48" poplar stump from a tree that had blown over a few years back. After assessing the situation, i could see that the stump was fairly rotten. Rather than grind the stump, i told him I would first try to dig it out with the mini skid. Skeptical, he agreed to let me try. Either way, ground or dug out, the price was $150.

I squeezed through the 40" gate opening and brought my mini skid into the back yard where the stump was. First, I pushed on the stump at the top (about 24" above ground) to see how loose it was. it moved but wouldn't roll over. So, I opened the grapple and got the lip of the bucket under a big root and worked the bucket under the stump. With a few tilting and twisting motions of the bucket, The root popped. i did the same from the other side. Then I pushed the bucket under the stump and rolled it right out onto the lawn. In 5 minutes, it was through the gate and loaded on the trailer. While pretty much rotten, i estimate that it weighed between 600-700 lbs. It was about all that my mini skid could lift to get it onto the trailer.

15 minutes from start to finish and $100 in my pocket (I gave him a break since it went so quickly). I wouldn't have been able to do that with a clam-type grapple. No strength in just lifting upwards. Sometimes you need to get under something and push or pry on it. For that, a bucket grapple is the only way to go.

Oh yeah - fourth job was grinding and cleaning up 2 - 25" spruce stumps. Ground them in 30 minutes and cleaned them up with the mini skid in another 20 minutes. Sorry, but you can't clean up stump grindings with a clam-type grapple - well, not very well that is. I also had to pop out some runner roots. You can't do that with a clam-type grapple either. That job paid another $150.

Total for 2.5 hours of work last night - $390 plus two more jobs landed from neighbors. Wish it was like that every night. :)

You might have a point on a stump rip out. I would argue though that you can grab an up rooted stump and twist and pull pretty good. I have pulled a lot of 6" juniper and shrubs with the BMG by first grappling the roots around the stump and then just grabbing the stump and yarding it out. the bypass grapple digs down maybe 8" in the soil so you don't reef on the drive train on the machine and tear the lawn up. I bet my grapple would pull that stump of yours maybe not as quick - might have to grab out more roots ~ hard to say. I pull more brush, & feed the chipper though and a skid style grapple is much more efficient then a bucket style. You can't do stump chips though thats for sure

I was playing around in the yard today with a tree we had go down a few weeks ago. It was leaning bad and we knew it was only a matter of time. The tape measure is at 32 inches and the chunk is 18 inches long cut firewood length. No problem! Chainsaw is a Stihl 066 with 36" bar. Boxer 320 and Branch Manager grapple.

attachment.php

Nice pic, that 320 is pretty amazing little guy.

Now i dont' care what style grapple you have, no mini is pulling that stump out. unless your a nibbler :chainsaw:

No, the DR does have it's place, but with the mini there is very little picking up involved!! I just had to harrass you about it:)
Isn't that just slicker than snot?

Latest posts

Back