Mini's, Boxer vs Vermeer, which one to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe both of those machines....DW and Vermeer, weigh about 2700 lbs without attachments if I remember right when I was shopping for mine last year.

I'm a bobcat owner again

Just sold my boxer 532dx - heading out to Pennsylvania to another tree service. And just bought this '07 MT-52 with 290 hrs plus tiller, trencher, backhoe and tilt trailer (all like new) for the same money I sold my boxer for.

Thinking I did pretty good...

Good score! That trailer's real sweet. Let me know how that little backhoe works. My initial assumption would be that it was pretty weak but I could be wrong. Be good to hear a trustworthy opinion on it.

Good score! That trailer's real sweet. Let me know how that little backhoe works. My initial assumption would be that it was pretty weak but I could be wrong. Be good to hear a trustworthy opinion on it.

If it works good, you want to buy it...?

Acutally, my Father-in-law is looking to do an addition onto their house and is already thinking I can dig the footings for him. See what happens if I still have the backhoe come spring. I really don't have a use for it otherwise.

AP

I already have 3 guys 'fighting' over the trailer for $3k. :D I guesss I should have asked more $ than that. It'll likely go to my brother-in-law for that amount. It's really too big for a mini skid and attachments and is better suited for a big loader.

I already have 3 guys 'fighting' over the trailer for $3k. :D I guesss I should have asked more $ than that. It'll likely go to my brother-in-law for that amount. It's really too big for a mini skid and attachments and is better suited for a big loader.

I'll buy your backhoe if you throw the trailer in for free. :hmm3grin2orange: Thanks for your help the other night. I don't think I got an answer from you on the length of your mini ramps on your dump though. When you get a chance could you toss me a number? I appreciate it.

All I can say is you guys have me drooling now for a mini..LMAO..That ash tree drop I posted on here from youtube would have been so much easier with one instead of making me an old man faster humping it up by hand that day..LOL..I saw on Tree Trader a mini mount that went on the front part of a dump trailer..anyone got something like that?

I'll buy your backhoe if you throw the trailer in for free. :hmm3grin2orange: Thanks for your help the other night. I don't think I got an answer from you on the length of your mini ramps on your dump though. When you get a chance could you toss me a number? I appreciate it.

The ramps on my chip truck are 7' and the ones on my dump trailer are 6'. The dump trailer ramps were the ones I used on my 1-ton.

All I can say is you guys have me drooling now for a mini..LMAO..That ash tree drop I posted on here from youtube would have been so much easier with one instead of making me an old man faster humping it up by hand that day..LOL..I saw on Tree Trader a mini mount that went on the front part of a dump trailer..anyone got something like that?

The lower on and off the better imo. Cheap tilt trailer or fold up ramp trailer is so quick and easy and you can hand spin the trailer or use it for throwing brush on to take to the chipper etc. We can even hitch the trailer to the mini and tow it around.

Stowing ramps and ramping up to the level of a hitch or truck bed makes it uneccessarily difficult that it may even make you think twice about using the genius tree service tool.

we generally pull it around with the 4x4 yota but any vehicle will pull it out to job or take it back. It cost $695 with new spare. Loading is just as easy with pulling up to back, press down on tilt with the grapple (or bucket or whatever) and drive right on while grapple slides in. We keep the big bucket on the toyota bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XhAIIvFIM

Mt-52

Glad to see you've come back to Bobcat Arborpro. Still really happy with my 52, although I'm dreaming about Gehl 140 everynight. I tried Boxer before the Bobcat. I chose not to go with Boxer because the dealer seemed like a con. I respect your posts and am wondering why you didn't stay with Boxer very long?
What are your thoughts on the Gehl 140 or 340? I'm surprised there not selling like crazy. I'll keep my 52 but in the Spring I'm going to buy a Terex 130 or Gehl 140 or 340. I would appreciate feedback from you or anyone else.

Glad to see you've come back to Bobcat Arborpro. Still really happy with my 52, although I'm dreaming about Gehl 140 everynight. I tried Boxer before the Bobcat. I chose not to go with Boxer because the dealer seemed like a con. I respect your posts and am wondering why you didn't stay with Boxer very long?
What are your thoughts on the Gehl 140 or 340? I'm surprised there not selling like crazy. I'll keep my 52 but in the Spring I'm going to buy a Terex 130 or Gehl 140 or 340. I would appreciate feedback from you or anyone else.

Simply put: Boxer power - great, Boxer controls - suck.

If Boxer comes around to using joystick controls like everyone else, they'll have a decent machine.

Besides that, i didn't like having to disconnect my grapple when loading it on my 'new' chip truck. With the mt-52's shorter length, I can leave the grapple attached. Then, I'm going to take the grapple carry platform that I had installed on the front of the truck and look into modifying it to carry my sc252 grinder. Then I can haul both in one trip. Either that or, if I can get Dave at Top Notch to drop his price on the 38 special to something the avg guy can afford, maybe I'll get one of those to run on the mini... $11,500.. Holy crap! Dave, you wanna trade a grinder for a backhoe...? :)

AP

Arbor pro

Thanks for response. I'm no longer interested in Boxer; I think their made in SC, but it seems like everything else I'm interested in is made out in your part of the country. Terex, Bobcat, and Gehl. Maybe I'm wrong.
Brother in law, who's in excavating just demoed a tracked Cat (Are they made out there? Peoria?) By what he said to me, I won't be surprised if he'll have one within a week. Life is way to short, too many toys, and life is too damm good. Hope everyone who reads this has a great 2011.
I've had a little too much to drink tonight. Sorry!!!
Happy Holidays ArborPro.

I'm buying one before spring I think a vermeer. I'm still trying to decide between tires or tracks. What do you guys think?

Thanks for response. I'm no longer interested in Boxer; I think their made in SC, but it seems like everything else I'm interested in is made out in your part of the country. Terex, Bobcat, and Gehl. Maybe I'm wrong.
Brother in law, who's in excavating just demoed a tracked Cat (Are they made out there? Peoria?) By what he said to me, I won't be surprised if he'll have one within a week. Life is way to short, too many toys, and life is too damm good. Hope everyone who reads this has a great 2011.
I've had a little too much to drink tonight. Sorry!!!
Happy Holidays ArborPro.

Merry Christmas to you too, codog and the same to everyone else on AS!

AP

WOW..check this little machine out thats made by ditchwitch..I think I'm in love..LMAO this thing looks wicked..and you can get it with mini tracks that replace the tires too...I would LOOOOOVE to demo one of these little bastards!

http://www.ditchwitch.com/compact-utility/zahn/

Reviews I've read say that they're great attachment carriers but no guts for digging, etc. If I did primarily trenching, augering, etc, I'd consider them but, from what my research revealed, they wouldn't be as good as a mini skid for tree work. The new gehl articulating machines might be ok though.

As for tires vs tracks, it comes down to traction vs non-grass-ripping. Can't get both IMO, it's one or the other. With tracks, you have to take wide turns on grass but can easily go through rough or soft areas where tires might get hung up though tires are certainly easier on grass. I prefer tracks.

AP

Reviews I've read say that they're great attachment carriers but no guts for digging, etc. If I did primarily trenching, augering, etc, I'd consider them but, from what my research revealed, they wouldn't be as good as a mini skid for tree work. The new gehl articulating machines might be ok though.

As for tires vs tracks, it comes down to traction vs non-grass-ripping. Can't get both IMO, it's one or the other. With tracks, you have to take wide turns on grass but can easily go through rough or soft areas where tires might get hung up though tires are certainly easier on grass. I prefer tracks.

AP

According to the site there is a dealer about an hour from me in MI..I may have to call em up and see if they have one to check out..I think I just need to pretty much rent one machine at a time and see how I like them individually..I mean..I have heard the cheers and jeers to all of the machines you have talked about..and I'm sure it comes down in the end to personal prefference..how close the dealer is..and a few other things..

Latest posts

Back