Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come up to my neck of the woods and you'll see a few bears.

Getting to be a quite a few around here too. Cousins got what they thought was a 200-ib. bear and 2 cubs on a trail camera about a mile from where I live. There were also bear tracks on the landing down the hill from where the trail camera was and plenty of other bear signs in the woods when the property was logged last year. Found a few overturned/uprooted stumps in my family's woods too so now I take a gun with when cutting in the woods around here or riding the atv. Rather be safe than sorry.

We rarely see bears anymore. I've heard that a pack of wolves will go after a sleeping bear in its den and eat it. Especially a problem in low snow conditions like we've had the last few years because the bear dens don't get sealed off with snow and the scent is like a dinner bell.

In the part of Minnesota that I live, we are allowed to go see more than one movie per year . . . .

I saw an earlier movie, loosely based on the same story ('Man in the Wilderness') around 1972, so I am interested in seeing the different treatment. New one won/is nominated for a bunch of awards, so maybe there is something to it.

Interesting article on these 2 movies and some of the potential source material from the book 'Lord Grizzly' in the local newspaper:
http://www.twincities.com/entertain...nant-leonardo-dicaprio-bear-attack-hugh-glass

"Attention readers and film-goers: Leonardo DiCaprio's new film, "The Revenant," is not based on Minnesotan Fred Manfred's 1954 novel "Lord Grizzly," although some people think it is. Others think it should be. . . . .Both Manfred and Punke tell the story of real-life Mountain Man Hugh Glass, who was part of an expedition attacked by Indians in 1823. He was nearly torn to pieces by a bear near present-day Lemmon, S.D., and left for dead by two companions." (Since it occurred in the Dakotas, we can discuss it in this thread?)

Philbert

After reading that article in the link above a similar story would be the 90's "Memphis Belle" movie. Having seen the real Air Force footage of how the mission actually went I wanted to see how this version would be. It was ok, but was very inaccurate and disappointing seeing Hollywood tell how the Belle's final mission went. But if they did a 100% accurate telling of the mission it would probably be considered "too boring" to the average moviegoer. Would have to say "Flyboys" and "Red Tails" were much better movies, though they did have inaccuracies, just not as bad as the "Memphis Belle" movie in my opinion.

A big thanks to Scott (Treemonkey) for doing all the extra work on my Christmas 288XP. I am excited to run it. Also thanks for porting my 562XP. I highly recommend him for his work, I believe that he is really on top of the saw porting game. I have saw's from several different builders and have run lots of builders saw's and I personally feel that while most do very good work Scott's really stand out a little better. Enjoyed hanging out and chatting with him today even though a lot of it is a bit over my head.

A big thanks to Scott (Treemonkey) for doing all the extra work on my Christmas 288XP. I am excited to run it. Also thanks for porting my 562XP. I highly recommend him for his work, I believe that he is really on top of the saw porting game. I have saw's from several different builders and have run lots of builders saw's and I personally feel that while most do very good work Scott's really stand out a little better. Enjoyed hanging out and chatting with him today even though a lot of it is a bit over my head.
I would agree with you there Andy! He said he hadn't done a 288 in forever and then 3 of them showed up at once! Crazy! I've enjoyed very much talking with him very also in the last couple months. He's forgot more about saws than a lot of us will ever know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brain is still numb trying to comprehend the information Scott shared.
Thanks to Scott, he went above and beyond to provide additional parts to put the saws into the condition they were represented as being in by the seller.
BTW,If you have a saw to be ported, Scott has time this winter. So far, Logging is jammed up this winter, the frost is not deep enough to get heavy equipment where the timber is.

My brain is still numb trying to comprehend the information Scott shared.
Thanks to Scott, he went above and beyond to provide additional parts to put the saws into the condition they were represented as being in by the seller.
BTW,If you have a saw to be ported, Scott has time this winter. So far, Logging is jammed up this winter, the frost is not deep enough to get heavy equipment where the timber is.
I find it hard to believe he doesn't have a waiting list for porting saws. His work is first class! He gets stuff done when he says he will and had a wealth of knowledge to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess oh26 more ports in jug. Carb jets opened up for nitro fuel and cooling fins shaved down a Lil bit for less top end rpm drag

Latest posts

Back