Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who else was watching?

(aside from the grandstands . . . )

attachment.php

Proper, and popular attire

attachment.php

Are the canopies for protection from the sun or the wood chips?

attachment.php

Ready to jump in

attachment.php

Hemlines are so hard to predict this time of year.

Philbert

Thanks for the pics, Phil. Tried for rep, but you'll have to settle for being "liked" for now.

Andy's truck is a 47 Dodge.

great pics, Philbert! Thanks for taking them. We will post some up hopefully tonight...had a really good time. It was nice to have a announcing system, I think that made a big difference on how well things flowed. I think we went through more logs in less time yesterday then we did in Rush city, but both were a heck of a lot of fun! Thanks to all who came out, and played, as well as those who helped. Andy's brother Marty and his girlfriend Heather did a really nice job of behind-the-scenes work as well.
oh yes, and the "tip jar" produced enough money to pay for the log work!

Andy and Sarah - you guys really deserve the credit for organizing this, with an emphasis on 'organized'.

Also have to give credit to Grandpatractor, Heavy Fuel, Wet Gunpowder, and others, who have worked out the details with the trailers, the buck, the cants, etc., over the past few years, taking this from an informal activity at a GTG to an organized event that is still low-key, accessible, and fun.

I heard more that a few comments from attendees at the fair how professional it appeared, with the specific classes and the PA announcer. And received a few questions asking if this was tied into the the professional events (e.g. STIHL Timbersports, Hayward Lumberjack Championships, etc.).

I think that the RSRA may have picked up a few new members!

Philbert

Last edited:
I wish it was Sunday again. I personally didn't do as well at the races this time, Sarah said I had too many saws to run. She may be right, I was getting really wiped out really fast between running saws, marking the logs, loading the logs and trying to b.s. a bit. I am tired today. BUT, I still don't think I will bring any less saws to grantsburg.:hmm3grin2orange:

I wish it was Sunday again. I personally didn't do as well at the races this time, Sarah said I had too many saws to run. She may be right, I was getting really wiped out really fast between running saws, marking the logs, loading the logs and trying to b.s. a bit. I am tired today. BUT, I still don't think I will bring any less saws to grantsburg.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm sharpening chains already... May not have time to get the new toy broke in before Grantsburg, but I'll try...
C'mon autotune!!!!!

. . .Sarah said I had too many saws to run. She may be right, I was getting really wiped out really fast between running saws, marking the logs, loading the logs and trying to b.s. a bit.

Some of those things (e.g. sweeping the deck, marking the cants, etc.) can easily be delegated while you are actively competing. There were a few guys who ran lots of saws, and plenty of others who can help out with the 'crew' stuff. Something we can do upfront next time.

One thing I noticed Sunday, and not attaching any names here, was the importance of technique. Some saws simply screamed past their competitor's. Others were pretty closely matched, but it took them up to 2 seconds longer to get the saw into the wood. Some guys might have been slower towards the end of the day, so the competition was between operators, and not always saws. We don't want anyone getting so tired that they get sloppy and slip, etc.

Philbert

Some of those things (e.g. sweeping the deck, marking the cants, etc.) can easily be delegated while you are actively competing. There were a few guys who ran lots of saws, and plenty of others who can help out with the 'crew' stuff. Something we can do upfront next time.

One thing I noticed Sunday, and not attaching any names here, was the importance of technique. Some saws simply screamed past their competitor's. Others were pretty closely matched, but it took them up to 2 seconds longer to get the saw into the wood. Some guys might have been slower towards the end of the day, so the competition was between operators, and not always saws. We don't want anyone getting so tired that they get sloppy and slip, etc.

Philbert

That right there is what makes it fun!!! Chain is a HUGE factor too.....

One thing I noticed Sunday, and not attaching any names here, JON & DERRICK

Philbert

fixed it fer ya.... :)

I did bring one of Tree Machines filing clamps to the event, in case people wanted to see it or try it. Now, if we only had some real filing vises to try side-by-side . . .
;)

attachment.php

Philbert

Guess you'll have to find a member that has one...... :msp_tongue:

BTW That filing vise you got there is real pretty!! Looks very well made!

Last edited:
What did you do to pele55? He didn't make it to work today and Damon said something about beating his 6400 with his 6401?????????????????

I'm just wondering what the excuse will be. Sun was in his eyes, log full of knots, chain was dull, blade was bent, bad gas, fuel no good.
:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back