Mint 090 off CL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill...

Does the Contra take the same bar as the 090? I don't have my saws here at home to check. I'm fighting to find bars that work on the Contra/lightning.

050, 051, 075, 076, 084, 088, 880, 070, 090, Contra all use the same bar mount. Only difference is the location of the adjuster holes on the last 3 saws. Simply drill new holes and you're off.

Chris B.

Chris, I sure you would make it Saturday.

On a side note I have plenty of the bars also so if you run out let me know.

Bill

Bill, the only way I can make the GTG is if the bosses forget to schedule me Sun 11/7 and I don't see that happening. I wonder if Greg is going. He is just as close as I am.

I don't seriously use that bar on the 090. I had it on an 08s and was wondering how well it would fit the big dog. The 090 is much more comfortable with the 36" roller nose.

Chris B.

Bill, the only way I can make the GTG is if the bosses forget to schedule me Sun 11/7 and I don't see that happening................
Chris B.

Pretty doubtful they will do that. I am loaded and ready to pull ou. Barring problems I plan on making it.

Bill

050, 051, 075, 076, 084, 088, 880, 070, 090, Contra all use the same bar mount. Only difference is the location of the adjuster holes on the last 3 saws. Simply drill new holes and you're off.

Chris B.

Chris...Thanks, that's what I kinda expected to hear and I'll have to wait until I get back out to the farm to compare the bar I want on the Contra to the one I have on the 090.

I just received a copy of the Stihl Chain and Bar Manual (64 page BIBLE) and it contains the answers to just about every bar and chain question I've ever had. If you have it you know what I mean.

In it it states that the bar tail 3002 is for the 08, 051/076, 084 and 088. The 3002 000 80 bar tail is for the 070 and 090. It doesn't specifically say which one is for the Contra/Lightning. That translates to the only bar they say is made for the 070/090 is the Duromatic .63 type 3002 000 80xx (the 80 identifies the Duromatic .63 with the combination 3001/3002 bar tail).

So, I'm guessing here that the 3001 bar tail was the original bar tail for the Contra/Lightning, 070 and 090 but they now make only the 3002 bar tails with the one Duromatic bar (80) having a combination slot size from the normal 3002 bar.

Whew, I think I got that right.

So if I want to use any Stihl bar other than the one specific Duromatic I'll have to, at the minimum, drill new holes for the tensioner.

Like Chris said you just have to bore an adjuster hole. I will be running a new 25"ES bar on a Lightning in a few hours if all goes right.

Bill

What are you doing still up Bill?:jawdrop: I sure would have liked to have met you later today.

So would I. I need to catch a bit of shut eye soon. It is going to be a long boring drive. My boys are not coming along.

Bill

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH crap

I just realized you guys are on eastern time. Well I might get there by lunch maybe.

Bill

So, I'm guessing here that the 3001 bar tail was the original bar tail for the Contra/Lightning, 070 and 090 but they now make only the 3002 bar tails with the one Duromatic bar (80) having a combination slot size from the normal 3002 bar.

You're working too hard. If it fits the 090, it'll fit the Contra.

Chris B.

You're working too hard. If it fits the 090, it'll fit the Contra.

Chris B.

My problem is that the Contra has its original bar and chain both of which are shot (I've reground the chain to play with it but it has almost no tooth left). The 090 has a 36" bar and chain which I want to keep on it. I want a 20 incher on the contra to play with.

So I bought a slightly used 20" bar and chains from an 075 sure that they would work. But they don't. So I'm trying to learn how to, either get them to work (ie: drill) or what to purchase in lieu of drilling.

Next weekend at the farm I'll take a look at drilling as that appears to be the consensus solution (and cheaper too).

Again thanks to all of you for your shared knowledge and I owe each of you at least one beer...

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back