Miserable Day Cutting Wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had 2 large Black Locust, 30"+. I took down 2 years ago. One had some Poison Ivy on it, the other was covered, with vines as big as my leg. The logs were in a horse pasture. I asked if I could come back after the Poison Ivy died. I also left an almost brand new 24' ladder there, because the truck and trailer was loaded so high, and I was to tired to fight it. I had planned on waiting till fall, but one thing after another, then I lost her number, so here we are 2 years later. I finally drove out to her place and asked if I could still get some wood. When I left we had mowed the field right up to the logs, burnt all of the brush, so I was kind of expecting to back up, cut up, load up, and go, NO. The logs were all over grown with weeds, green brier, and more Poison Ivy. Not only was it just nasty getting to it, the heat went off the gauge today. Every time I drank a bottle of water I could see it squirting back out of my skin. There was also a 30" American Elm log that had fallen a couple years prior to me doing the original job. It was off the ground and dry, so I wanted to mill it. It's still there, but looks like it's getting pretty soft. Here's a pic of the big Locust log that is left and the Elm, Joe.

Yes, very, very nice lady. she called way back when I left and said she put it in the barn. Still there, covered in cob webs and dust, just the way I like them, Joe.

Been there, done that. I have had my own piece of Poision Ivy this year. I got it while camping 2 weeks back and I had it on my arms and it spread to all over my chest and then my thighs and oh it was a mess. I went to the doctor and they prescirbed me Prednisone which finally cleared it up. Nice looking logs there though.

If any one wants that Locust they can have it, just need a pick up. I have 2 big dead Oaks in one of her other pastures and would be happy to share the Locust, Joe.

That is a big locust, and some nasty looking PI vines. I'm starting to itch just looking at the pic. :msp_scared:

Had a huge oak like that one time, Been down for a couple years and the ivy had completely covered it. couldn't even see the tree for it. A pain in the butt to get it off but the wood was worth it. Nice locust, it should be some good heat.

That is one big Black Locust. I have seen a much bigger one but it is still standing, I logged every other B.L. off that site but the owner would not let me touch that tree. Next time I am out that way I'll try to get a picture of it.

We don't have PI here. Would dosing it with a good shot of roundup or 24D kill to allow harvest with no infection?

Harry K

Harry, to answer your question yes in a about a 2-3 year time span. Even when PI is killed off the oil remains in the vine until it all decomposes. Working it in the dead of winter is not any better. Worse case of PI I ever had I got in the middle of winter teaching wood lore and tracking to a bunch of youngsters, never even new it was there.

Is dragging the logs out of the bramble and into a field an option? All I have to do is look at poison ivy and I get it. Had a real bad case of it as a youngster picking blackberries. Blackberries scratched me up and the PI got in my blood. What a mess I was for about a month.

Flashole- That's what happens to me gets in the blood stream and end up looking like something from an 1950's horror film, only the they looked better.

Is dragging the logs out of the bramble and into a field an option? All I have to do is look at poison ivy and I get it. Had a real bad case of it as a youngster picking blackberries. Blackberries scratched me up and the PI got in my blood. What a mess I was for about a month.

Yep, that's what I did on the one I got. But I had to be careful not to tear up the pasture. I pulled 3 logs 8 foot long up on the trailer with the winch. The hardest part of the day was cleaning up the rotten and termite infested pieces and throwing them in a pile out of the field. Was just too hot, Joe.

Harry, to answer your question yes in a about a 2-3 year time span. Even when PI is killed off the oil remains in the vine until it all decomposes. Working it in the dead of winter is not any better. Worse case of PI I ever had I got in the middle of winter teaching wood lore and tracking to a bunch of youngsters, never even new it was there.

+1. Just because it is dormant in the winter or dead from being sprayed doesn't mean it is no longer contagious. As stated above, the oil remains in the vine and can linger for a long time. There is no wood (for me) worth getting if it has poison ivy. I am highly allergic.

I think the drive for me would be a bit too far to be practical. Why can I never find anyone wanting to give me a chance at good hardwood around here? Oh ya that's right we hardly have any! Well PI doesn't even phase me so I wouldn't worry much about that aspect of it.

Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome. I don't believe just by getting/being around the plant it is going to increase my chance of having a reaction in the future to it. That is like saying someday you will be allergic to peanuts, because some people are allergic to them now. Could you develop an allergy to something, sure, but not just because you are around it or else we would be allergic to everything. If anything your body should become more immune to its effects as you are around it more. That is why they give allergy shots to people. Also is why you can become immune to snake bites by slowly exposing yourself to the venom over time. Everyone is different, as is every case.

Poison ivy story.

Before my wife and I were married, she had her own house a few towns away. One evening she came over and we spent a little while in the hot tub and she went home. Perfectly ordinary evening except that about an hour after she left I broke out in hives all over.

A little detective work and we figured it out. Her house had a bed of poison ivy in the backyard. Her dog must have got into it, and she was playing with the dog before she came over. She's immune to poison ivy (as was her father), and it doesn't bother the dog either, but there was enough on her that I got it thirdhand from the water in the tub. I took some Benadryl and went to bed and it was gone by morning.

Latest posts

Back