Mix Ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott76

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What ratio does everyone mix their gas and oil?

50:1?
40:1?
32:1?

What ratio for a stock?
What ratio for a slight modded?
What ratio for a heavy modded?

What ratio is lean and which one is rich?

Which one gives more power with out trashing the saw?

I'm new to 2-cycle. I just mixed 50:1 to get started. Thats what the directions said too (Stihl). The guy I bought the saw from said to 40:1 but I remembered that after I already mixed it. It was just 1 gal.

Sorry for a trail of questions. Thanks all for your time and help.

in my work saws i use a strict 40:1 stihl mix with prem fuel.
in my gas race saws i seat the rings with the work saw mix, then switch over to 32:1 castor oil.

in my alcohol saws.. well that one is not done yet. :)

40:1 with Stihl oil in my 028WB and 038 Super. That's .8125 gallons out of the pump for one of those little 50:1 bottles (2.6 oz). I scorched a piston in a big string trimmer running 50:1 and won't run a 2-stroke that light on oil again.
Finnbear

40:1 Husqvarna gray bottle semi-synthetic.

36-1 Mobil MX2T. It'll be another year or so before my stash runs out and I can get the new Racing 2T. Only difference is the added dye.

Ben, here's a link to an old discussion about castor mix gumming up saws...Ken Dunn used to use and recommend Maxima 927 (castor based) in his race and work saws, but switched to Maxima K2. Both are more expensive than Mobil, which all say is great.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=6887&highlight=Maxima+927

wow, 8 posts and nobody has suggested to use the search function to find the plethora of other threads and polls on this topic. :monkey:

Lakeside53 said:
wow, 8 posts and nobody has suggested to use the search function to find the plethora of other threads and polls on this topic. :monkey:

I was going to Andy, but remember what happened to me the last time I did that! :laugh: This question gets asked once a week, and people still reply, and then people still ask it again the next week and then people reply again. And there's nothing wrong with replying and helping out, other than the fact that it encourages it all. But that's OK, that'w why we're here isn't it? This was the first time in my AS career that I looked at a deadhorse thread and just turned around and walked away. Some things will never change.

I predict a saw storage thread and a pants vs. chaps thread by the end of next week....

fishhuntcutwood said:
I was going to Andy, but remember what happened to me the last time I did that! :laugh: This question gets asked once a week, and people still reply, and then people still ask it again the next week and then people reply again. And there's nothing wrong with replying and helping out, other than the fact that it encourages it all. But that's OK, that'w why we're here isn't it? This was the first time in my AS career that I looked at a deadhorse thread and just turned around and walked away. Some things will never change.

I predict a saw storage thread and a pants vs. chaps thread by the end of next week....
Apparantly not.:jester: :buttkick:

Lakeside53 said:

What fun is that?

fishhuntcutwood said:

Sorry for a dead horse thread.

I was wondering should I buy chaps or pants? LOL Sorry I can't resist.

No I really didn't know which is better for the saw and horse power. Now I do. I will now mix 40:1. I do thank you all for the time and help. It might seem to be a pain for you guys to answer the same question over and over again, but on this end it really is a big help. Thank you again.

Scott76 said:

No I really didn't know which is better for the saw and horse power. Now I do. I will now mix 40:1. I do thank you all for the time and help. It might seem to be a pain for you guys to answer the same question over and over again, but on this end it really is a big help. Thank you again.
Pat no attention to the crotchity old timers on this board. Most have been out in the woods alone too long, with only the warmth from thier modified mufflers to keep them warm.:laugh:

Bad E said:
Pat no attention to the crotchity old timers on this board. Most have been out in the woods alone too long, with only the warmth from thier modified mufflers to keep them warm.:laugh:

LOL... LOL.....

fishhuntcutwood said:

Dont really see why you want to rehash/stir the pot.

I thought all was good, do you still harbor a grudge over this?

Besides, it was your sarcastic tone that was bothering people, but you know this.:cheers:

Scott76 said:

No man, it's really not a problem. :cheers: And you did ask about hp numbers per mix ratio, and that's not normally talked about. I don't have any idea how they coincide, so I don't have an answer for you on that one. I was just commenting relative to my friend Andy's post above mine.

"Deadhorse" threads are a fact of life on forums like this. (That's why there's a deadhorse smiley available!)

Scott, if I've not welcomed you to AS yet....welcome to AS. :)

Jeff

Thank you for the welcome.

I just take notice that some people in here don't hold back and rip other people apart. I try to read all the threads but there are some that are unclear. I'm new to 2-cycle engines and chainsaws. I grew up cutting wood but never owned my own saw. Now I do and I like to take care of my stuff. Like I said before. I might ask stupid questions but I don't know the answer. I understand the deadhorse. I think its funny. But I can see people get tired of the same question over again.

I'm getting a new saw (old one, new to me) tonight from my grandfather to rip apart and investigate how it works and all. I can't wait. He has 2 a stihl and a husqvarna. I'm grabbing the husqvarna. It has great compresion but doesn't run. There is going to be tons of questions to be asked next week. lol

Back