modded 372 or stock 066 with 32-36" bar for hardwoods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do come to Sequim, Simon. Andy, maybe we could carpool up there. I've never been, and it looks to be a good show for an amateur like me to run some of my worksaws.....

Simon, your 385 looks nice and fast, and not even close to broken in!

well, I'm home from Chicago and have a 385 with a burnt piston and cylinder. I'll have to get it together quick so WJ and I can have an accurate comparison between the two.

Diggin up an old post of mine... Back to the original topic....

I made my decision, but after many long trials and tests.

The stock 066 is the best bet in wood in the 30" range, and a modded 066 is even better.

To quote many, there is no replacement for displacement. The 066/660 is a bad dood in stock form, and even better in modded from. Wouldn't trade them for the world!

-Steve

LOL Steve! You must dream about this stuff too! You must've made this post at 4AM!?!

As far as the 066/660 thoughts, as crazy as I am, I may end up with a saw this big further down the road just for grins. However, realistically, it'll only most likely be the Dolmar 7900 for the weight savings. (I'm a wimp.)

I can see myself knocking knocking on my neighbor's doors asking, "Hey you need a tree cut down? For free?" just to justify it. :laugh:

Hack said:
LOL Steve! You must dream about this stuff too! You must've made this post at 4AM!?!

As far as the 066/660 thoughts, as crazy as I am, I may end up with a saw this big further down the road just for grins. However, realistically, it'll only most likely be the Dolmar 7900 for the weight savings. (I'm a wimp.)

I can see myself knocking knocking on my neighbor's doors asking, "Hey you need a tree cut down? For free?" just to justify it. :laugh:

That is what happens when you get home at 1am from work... Lets see, 4am to 1 am with a 1 hour lunch..... yup just another 20 hour day yesterday...

I will say that if you aren't used to running a big heavy saw all day, that extra weight will take it's toll on you. The first time I had my 066 out with a long bar, that saw wore me out!

The 7900 is a nice saw too. Probably one of the better all around saw for the weight.

Realistically, I'll probably just procure a 6401/6400 since it's pretty economical and play with that a while (See? I'm exhibiting more symptoms of the hanging-around-AS-too-much disease). There really isn't a lot of big wood where I live anyway.

If I ever get fully overcome with big saw envy, I could always do the Jekel and Hyde thing and do the appropriate 7900 conversion. It's pretty amazing that we can even do that with the 6400. Is the exterior dimensions exactly the same after the swap? For 1/3 pound more weight we get another 1.5bhp! :cool:

Hack said:
Realistically, I'll probably just procure a 6401/6400 since it's pretty economical and play with that a while (See? I'm exhibiting more symptoms of the hanging-around-AS-too-much disease). There really isn't a lot of big wood where I live anyway.

If I ever get fully overcome with big saw envy, I could always do the Jekel and Hyde thing and do the appropriate 7900 conversion. It's pretty amazing that we can even do that with the 6400. Is the exterior dimensions exactly the same after the swap? For 1/3 pound more weight we get another 1.5bhp! :cool:

Tell me about it, where else can you go to get a 13cc big bore kit? I wish I could get a 13cc big bore kit for my other saws for under 2 bills....

There isn't a weight difference between them...Everything is exactly the same. That is a good upgrade, and if you pick up a 6401 cheap, the 7900 piston and cylinder is about 190 bucks. Don't forget the 2 dollar base gasket and 2 dollar exhaust gasket. Puts you right around 400 bucks for a mean saw.

I'm still curious why dolmar lists them as weighing more...They are the same saw, and while some may argue that there is more piston material, this is true, but there is also less material on the cylinder from the bigger bore. It all evens out....

372, 066

Bet them big bore kits from baileys will wake them pups up with the mods even more. Should be down right wicked.
72cc to 78cc 372 and 91cc to 98cc 066. What i am hearing.

Cut4fun said:
Bet them big bore kits from baileys will wake them pups up with the mods even more. Should be down right wicked.
72cc to 78cc 372 and 91cc to 98cc 066. What i am hearing.

that sounds like fun..:cheers:

Freakingstang said:
There isn't a weight difference between them...Everything is exactly the same. That is a good upgrade, and if you pick up a 6401 cheap, the 7900 piston and cylinder is about 190 bucks. Don't forget the 2 dollar base gasket and 2 dollar exhaust gasket. Puts you right around 400 bucks for a mean saw.

I figure you estimate $400 if I opted for a second hand HD rental right? You got me thinking... (always a bad thing)

I was really thinking going with a brand new 6401 for less than $500. I don't foresee myself going through saws all that much - just buy once and keep it forever - so why not get a new one?

However, the concept of going with a larger big bore kit makes more sense with a used saw. I would end up replacing all the critical wear parts with a brand new upgrades anyway. So essentially it would be a new saw after the swap right?

Hack said:
I figure you estimate $400 if I opted for a second hand HD rental right? You got me thinking... (always a bad thing)

I was really thinking going with a brand new 6401 for less than $500. I don't foresee myself going through saws all that much - just buy once and keep it forever - so why not get a new one?

However, the concept of going with a larger big bore kit makes more sense with a used saw. I would end up replacing all the critical wear parts with a brand new upgrades anyway. So essentially it would be a new saw after the swap right?

Yes and no, the top end would be new, but with any used saw there is the chance of the bottom end not lasting. Then there is the carb, it will probably need a rebuild kit put in it. either way, it's a tough call, but I'm a cheap azz and will only mod/buy used saws. The only saw I have bought to date that was brand new was my 5100. I love that thing, too!

BTW, i forgot, i did by another new saw, it was a makita top handled saw that I will probably sell, as I don't have much use for a top handled saw.

-Steve

Well I just read this whole thread with great interest. In part because I have a 372 and also because it was entertaining to see the ribaldry, sarcasm, and outright lack of civility on the part of some. I was pulling for Simonizer to be the real deal but alas, it looks like he was all whooey phooey.
I just don't understand some guys why would you talk yourself up like that and not produce anything to support your assertions.
At some point in the thread I was thinking I should contact this guy to get my saw modded ........ but a straw man cannot turn a wrench.
Anyone know where he went?

Latest posts

Back