modded 372 or stock 066 with 32-36" bar for hardwoods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I am wondering what you guys think about one bigger saw vs the couple I have. Basically I want to thin down the fleet a little. I don't want to buy anymore, so don't suggest a 394/395, ms460, etc

Would a modded 372 from one of the actual builders be better than a stock 066? The conditions would be 32-36" bar 3/8 chain, probably skiptooth, and used mainly for hardwoods.

I don't need a big saw like the 066 very often, but my thinking is I run the 372 quite a bit and would be better with a 16"-18" bar for normal duties and then have the abilities to put on a larger bar if the need arised. The last big tree I dropped was a 47" Elm, and the 372 with a 24" bar was a PITA.

thanks in advance.

Steve

Freakingstang said:
Would a modded 372 from one of the actual builders be better than a stock 066? The conditions would be 32-36" bar 3/8 chain, probably skiptooth, and used mainly for hardwoods.

Steve

No, too much bar for the 372

066. Can't beat cubic inches (or cc's in this version) IMHO. I run a 36" bar on mine with full comp and it won't even think about bogging down in 36" plus oak. Rock stock except for a dual port muffler mod.

I've got a 24" for most uses, but with the stuff I've come across lately, the 36" sees just as much or more use.

Mark

If the 372XP can run as stock a 32" bar ( as listed ) I'm sure it would run a 36" bar with a skip tooth chain being modded from a builder .

Rspike said:
If the 372XP can run as stock a 32" bar ( as listed ) I'm sure it would run a 36" bar with a skip tooth chain being modded from a builder .

That's kinda why I was thinking along those lines. I have had a 28" bar on it, but when buried in Oak, cherry and walnut, it does the job, but not very fast. The chain was full comp, though.

Now for as often as it would be used with a 32"-36" bar ,perfect . ( skip chain -36" ) If it was something you needed to use all the time then i would think a bigger saw would be in order . For my muffler modded 372XP i have the 18-24-28 & 32" bars full chain except for the 32" i have skip . I might use the 32" 4-6 times a year felling/bucking oak, just not enough to go to a bigger saw for.:cheers:

oldsaw said:
066. Can't beat cubic inches (or cc's in this version) IMHO. I run a 36" bar on mine with full comp and it won't even think about bogging down in 36" plus oak. Rock stock except for a dual port muffler mod.

I've got a 24" for most uses, but with the stuff I've come across lately, the 36" sees just as much or more use.

Mark

066 (late model same as MS660) - 7.7hp stock after dual port muffler upgrade (factory spare part) and carb retune. I run a 32 or 36 inch bar and can cut 30 inch plus maple like butter without bogging down. Running with 3/8 square grind (when new) full skip. Never tried full comp.

The 066 we run at work has 36" bar with full comp chisel chain, and an 8 tooth sprocket. Had it buried in some sugar maple stumps last week, no problem. Nothing like having enough horsepower. A sharp chain makes a world of difference. Worked great until the last tree, hit something and wouldn't cut worth crap. Had a heck of a time getting it sharp again too. Stihl chain...........

I ran my 372 once with a 32" bar and full skip chain in 42" pin oak and it just wasn't enough saw. It did it, but you had to go easy with it. My 7900 runs the same bar and chain in the same wood fine. Not sure how much hp is gained to a modded 372, but I would think it should come up to or more than a stock 7900.

A properly modified 372XP will cut faster than a stock MS660. Not even worthy of debate. I have built them, run them, sold them. I ran one last Weds with a 37" bar and 3/8" skip buried in Douglas fir, no problem at all.Cheers.

Here's a 372 with a 34". It works, but slowly. Plus I need to keep a spraybottle of oil on hand, to put on the bar. The oiler just doesn't get it done

514266c8.gif

Simonizer said:
A properly modified 372XP will cut faster than a stock MS660. Not even worthy of debate. I have built them, run them, sold them. I ran one last Weds with a 37" bar and 3/8" skip buried in Douglas fir, no problem at all.Cheers.

Oh Really? You build 372s like all the 385 and 395s we've seen and tested here on AS. Where are all the reports from all the saws you sent out? I guess Russ quit waiting for his saw. I don't think anyone wants to hear from you until you produce:confused:

timistall said:
Oh Really? You build 372s like all the 385 and 395s we've seen and tested here on AS. Where are all the reports from all the saws you sent out? I guess Russ quit waiting for his saw. I don't think anyone wants to hear from you until you produce:confused:
Now you went and hurt my feelings.:cry: The facts remain, it is possible to build a 372XP that will easily out-perform a stock MS660. Hey, I just noticed we have something in common, our number of posts to date is identical to our IQ's. Cheers

hey simon, kinda miss your posts...:D

things sure have been quieter around here.

Lakeside53 said:
Maybe I missed something, but if you're going to mod something, why not the 660? not that it needs it, but...
If you have to drag a saw around all day, power to weight ratio becomes important rather quickly.

Simonizer said:
If you have to drag a saw around all day, power to weight ratio becomes important rather quickly.

yes, but he's already over that, only wants it for occassional use, and was considering a "stock" 660... anyhow.

Lakeside53 said:
yes, but he's already over that, only wants it for occassional use, and was considering a "stock" 660... anyhow.

I already have the "stock 066". It is indeed a powerhouse in stock form, but it only has a 24" and 20" bar on it of right now. I was just curious as to what a real modded 372 was capable of. The weight is greater of the 066, obviously, but I am used to "lugging" the 372 around all day in the woods. I guess I could get used to the added weight, but wanted to ask you folks that deal with them on the daily basis. I will say the 066 with a 20" bar is a fun "little" stock saw. :clap: IT will bog with the 24" bar, but to the saws defense, the chain was toast and I wanted to see how hard I had to push it to bog it.(came with the saw) It took quite a bit.

oh, and Andy, I found the manufacture date to be 9903, which I thought they dropped the 000 series in 01'. When did the MS series in the 066/660 line appear. Seems my deal may be better that first anticipated. Any idea of a price or part number for the dual port muffler cover? Do you by chance stock them?

Steve

Last edited:
Freakingstang said:
Any idea of a price or part number for the dual port muffler cover? Do you by chance stock them?

Steve

P/N 1122 140 0800 for the cover. Normally about $30 US I believe.

Why do most people think they need a 36" bar? I fall and buck big trees all the time with anothing more than a 32". I would rather have faster chain speed and power than extra un-nessecary weight and slower chain speed. I agree fully that a 660 will pull a 36" bar just, because I was dumb enough to do it for years. Now all those 36" bars are hanging in my shop.

Latest posts

Back