modded 372 or stock 066 with 32-36" bar for hardwoods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much extra does four inches of bar and chain weigh? Does it really matter when your lugging around a 066?
I ask because I have never had to pack a big saw around on a daily basis.

bwalker said:
How much extra does four inches of bar and chain weigh? Does it really matter when your lugging around a 066?
I ask because I have never had to pack a big saw around on a daily basis.

There is something about that four inches. I was out yesterday with my 660 and a 36", and I was thinking, "Man, I should have brought my 32."

My drastic change went from running a 36" Cannon to an Oregon 32" Reduced Weight bar. Don't know the specs but man, it felt like it was 50 pounds lighter.

fishhuntcutwood said:
There is something about that four inches. I was out yesterday with my 660 and a 36", and I was thinking, "Man, I should have brought my 32."

Part of it is the leverage. That extra 4 inches of bar and chain is over 2 2/3 ft out from the saw. It has more leverage to pull the nose down, which makes it seem even heavier than it is on paper.

That is part of why the reduced weight bars seem so much lighter too. Less weight, plus less leverage for that weight to act on.

Freakingstang said:
I am wondering what you guys think about one bigger saw vs the couple I have. Basically I want to thin down the fleet a little. I don't want to buy anymore, so don't suggest a 394/395, ms460, etc

Would a modded 372 from one of the actual builders be better than a stock 066? The conditions would be 32-36" bar 3/8 chain, probably skiptooth, and used mainly for hardwoods.

I don't need a big saw like the 066 very often, but my thinking is I run the 372 quite a bit and would be better with a 16"-18" bar for normal duties and then have the abilities to put on a larger bar if the need arised. The last big tree I dropped was a 47" Elm, and the 372 with a 24" bar was a PITA.

thanks in advance.

Steve
A couple modded mustangs:1986 GT VERT, 1986 Notch, 1989 drag car, and a 1966 coupe

Husky 55, 365, 372xp
Dolmar 110 & 115
Stihl ms290 & 066 Mag
This will be te first response from an actual saw user, so be prepared.
Your fleet of saws looks like...well...your going to two different dances. Dump the 55, 365, 110,115, and 290. Then, send the 372 out to be built.
You asked us not to tell you , but get a modded 460. When it comes back, send out the 660 for improvement. You will then understand.
Your signature will then read:
Modded 372XP
Modded MS460
Modded MS660
The three saws mentioned are arguably the best saws ever made, that are still the best. Add an MS200T to the list, and it's complete.

Mike Maas said:
This will be te first response from an actual saw user, so be prepared.
Your fleet of saws looks like...well...your going to two different dances. Dump the 55, 365, 110,115, and 290. Then, send the 372 out to be built.
You asked us not to tell you , but get a modded 460. When it comes back, send out the 660 for improvement. You will then understand.
Your signature will then read:
Modded 372XP
Modded MS460
Modded MS660
The three saws mentioned are arguably the best saws ever made, that are still the best. Add an MS200T to the list, and it's complete.

Hmmm, Well thanks for the advice. Eventually when I get the 115 ported, the 110 will go byebye. The 365 may disappear soon to. The 55 won't, it is my loaner saw. Besides, for a 55, it runs respectable with muffler mods. The Ms-290, it is in pieces, you want it? lol. I still like the 40-55 cc range for most of the light duty stuff. I don't need a little 220T, or 338xp now, so the little 110 fills that gap well. So if I sell all the middle range useless saws, I'd probably pick up a 5100, that way I'd have the best saw from the 3 best and my sig would look something like this

modded 5100
modded 372
modded 066

complete

Complete would be:

200T
modded 346xp
modded 372xp
modded 066

I am going to let my 9 year old nephew port a 372. With 4 or 5 simple rules. No dictating timing numbers. With maybe my wife watching him or someone else who is safety conscience, but has no mechanical knowledge.

I will also have him adjust the carb with my instruction, no saying adjust up and down.

If the saw runs ok I'll bring it to MI with me.

I reserve the right to chamfer the ports if it's going to frag my rings, but no other porting will be done by me. He's a bright kid I don't think I'll have to touch it. I will weld the muffler, but let him dictate how he wants it. If he says stock that'll be that. He will probably want to put the tuned pipe off his bike on there, but will be limited by welding abilities that can barely do a muffler job.

This is not a joke. I wanted Steve to have a definative answer and here's mine.

Fred

Anyone want to bet $20 that it'll outrun a 066.

Simonizer said:
If you have to drag a saw around all day, power to weight ratio becomes important rather quickly.

Only if you're cutting pecker poles, Simonizer. Hahahaha! Really...what would you know about cutting any kind of timber? Come on now....fill us full of BS EH!!

Mr. said:
I am going to let my 9 year old nephew port a 372. With 4 or 5 simple rules. No dictating timing numbers. With maybe my wife watching him or someone else who is safety conscience, but has no mechanical knowledge.

I will also have him adjust the carb with my instruction, no saying adjust up and down.

If the saw runs ok I'll bring it to MI with me.

I reserve the right to chamfer the ports if it's going to frag my rings, but no other porting will be done by me. He's a bright kid I don't think I'll have to touch it. I will weld the muffler, but let him dictate how he wants it. If he says stock that'll be that. He will probably want to put the tuned pipe off his bike on there, but will be limited by welding abilities that can barely do a muffler job.

This is not a joke. I wanted Steve to have a definative answer and here's mine.

Fred

Anyone want to bet $20 that it'll outrun a 066.

Ok, I don't know how to take that. I'm not sure if you are slamming me or not.

20 bucks huh, who's chain? And what chain is on the 066? Chain makes more off a difference than a woods port job.

Dennis Cahoon said:
Only if you're cutting pecker poles, Simonizer. Hahahaha! Really...what would you know about cutting any kind of timber? Come on now....fill us full of BS EH!!
Long time no see, my short-peckered friend. Wow, a complete post with no spelling errors. Bravo.

Steve I wasn't slamming you. Why would I.

The people who should have been offended weren't and you got hung up in the crossfire.

Stock 066/660. One down cut. Same wood as the 6 cube saws run. Same chain. My only stipulation is that the chain is sharp.

Fred

Remember you are playing to beat a 9 year old and 20 bucks.

Mr. said:
Steve I wasn't slamming you. Why would I.

The people who should have been offended weren't and you got hung up in the crossfire.

Stock 066/660. One down cut. Same wood as the 6 cube saws run. Same chain. My only stipulation is that the chain is sharp.

Fred

Remember you are playing to beat a 9 year old and 20 bucks.

In big wood (32-36 dia.)my $'s on the 066 and I don't care who builds it.

Simon, I have used many 372s, a few 066s and a few walkerized Huskies over the years, there is too much of a gap here in cc to make me believe this, my buddies bro who is a faller uses a 660, probably for a reason. No replacement for displacement. A walkerized 266 will not outcut a stock 288, close but not, you are talking even more of a jump.

clearance said:
Simon, I have used many 372s, a few 066s and a few walkerized Huskies over the years, there is too much of a gap here in cc to make me believe this, my buddies bro who is a faller uses a 660, probably for a reason. No replacement for displacement. A walkerized 266 will not outcut a stock 288, close but not, you are talking even more of a jump.
I deal with fallers exclusively. A modded 660 is a nice machine but a properly modded 372xp will out-cut a stock 660 despite the 19.6 cc displacement disadvantage. This is based on feed-back from fallers who cut head to head with 37" bar, 3/8" chain. A properly modded 372 develops over 7.3 hp. (And it does not use a 372 piston for any wannabe tuners out there) Cheers.

Last edited:
Simonizer said:
I deal with fallers exclusively. A modded 660 is a nice machine but a properly modded 372xp will out-cut a stock 660 despite the 19.6 cc displacement disadvantage. This is based on feed-back from fallers who cut head to head with 37" bar, 3/8" chain. A properly modded 372 develops over 7.3 hp. (And it does not use a 372 piston for any wannabe tuners out there) Cheers.
7.3 HP is a lot from a saw that made 5 hp stock, any bottom end problems?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back