Modders beware!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I baited no one and true I don't care about modded saws one way or the other. If ya likem thats fine, if I don't give a hoot in hell about them thats fine too. What I did was merely pass along information thats been sent to us. As I said I wouldn't wish a $37,500 fine on anyone. Now if giving everyone a heads up is baiting then I reckon I just pulled everything out the pond on one cast,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I meant the part about baiting in good fun, certainly not in the negative accusatory sense.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

Actually I was thinking about it and you're the one that baited us on this one. Very cleverly done I might add; and pointing the finger at the rocket donkey takes the cake. :hmm3grin2orange:

Here's how I figure it: You are not big into modded saws, it has come up in the past. Overall I'd say you're rather reasonable about it; they're just not your cup of tea.

You see this blurb in the latest release from on hi...er, Stihl, and so you post it. A smart and thinking man like yourself knows it will generate a good healthy discussion, and it certainly has; all's fair.

Now my take on it since I've had a little more time to cogitate and masticate and consider. We need input. More input. Basically we need to know what the enforcement mechanism is, how/if the law defines retailer because a law always defines words, or else the agency or courts define them. Also would be good to know what is meant by a manufacturer, since that is far more likely where they would place a chainsaw modder.

If we use autos as an example the modding market is alive and well. Emissions enforcement is almost nil, carried out mostly by state DEQ's through emissions testing. Most of the DEQ's measure the emissions and rarely check the equipment on the car anymore from my experience with them. (I pause for a moment to thank anything and everything that I no longer live where I'm subject to such religious rituals, but I digress.)

I could envision where the law would allow a modder to operate if they made say less than a hundred saws a year. Or they could label them as experimental saws, or special application saws, heck, maybe even call them faulty. You see where it starts to become maybe nothing overall?

Anyway, that’s some of my thoughts on it.

Thanks for starting the thread and a lively discussion.

PS I have my own inklings, but I leave the judgment of rocket donkeys morals to the power in which he does not believe, I'm sure we call all agree that's fair.:hmm3grin2orange:

I suggested one path several pages back. If the modder sells the muffler/cylinder to be installed by the end user...

Hell of alot of custom machine shops/after market bolt on power adds available in Cali, NY, NJ, etc. There will be a market providing someone is willing to risk the fines and has deep enough pockets to give it a go in court.

I'm not sure the market is large enough to support such actions.

Additionally, the "letter" has a lot of ambiguous statements in it leading me to wonder if I could be fined just by selling units produced by a manufacture that ends up not being compliant.

Enforcement and testing are going to be two key issues.

I meant the part about baiting in good fun, certainly not in the negative accusatory sense.;)

I'm with ya, I didn't take any offence. Far as me though I was just passing along some info. Hell what folks do with it is up to them. Whats the ole saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink,:cheers::cheers:

I'm with ya, I didn't take any offence. Far as me though I was just passing along some info. Hell what folks do with it is up to them. Whats the ole saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink,:cheers::cheers:

Tom,

Am I correct the wording of that letter seemed strange?

I suggested one path several pages back. If the modder sells the muffler/cylinder to be installed by the end user...

Hell of alot of custom machine shops/after market bolt on power adds available in Cali, NY, NJ, etc. There will be a market providing someone is willing to risk the fines and has deep enough pockets to give it a go in court.

I'm not sure the market is large enough to support such actions.

Additionally, the "letter" has a lot of ambiguous statements in it leading me to wonder if I could be fined just by selling units produced by a manufacture that ends up not being compliant.

Enforcement and testing are going to be two key issues.

Good post there. I'll be down at Stihl Inc next Friday. While there I'll try to get some more understandable and concrete info concerning EPA, dealers and end users. Someone there should be able to tell us exactly what EPA has in mind..

As I understand it, a dealer who makes any modifications to a saw is in violation. If the saw came with a DP, fine...but you can't add one.

Well what if the one that came with my saw 'broke':monkey:? Are they still going to be available?

(I'd just put it on myself to save the local guy the stress/ save money on the install)

Brad, I already made it clear that I am not going to respond to your baiting. Did you have trouble comprehending my words?

Yep, that was clear, I believe you now, I can see you meant it. LOL

Dude you are too much fun sometimes.

All cool.:cheers::cheers:

You sure are right about the four foot creatures.:dizzy:

One thing I'm kind of curious about is why Stihl, as a private company, is concerned with what the EPA is doing at the retail level. I mean, obviously they care, since the retailer sells their product; but would they not be opening themselves up by even passing on the information? A dealer could say "Stihl, you told me XYZ and the EPA added a BS and I got fined, now you owe me." Could it be that Stihl is trying to discourage dealers from modding a saw? Maybe I'm over thinking this, kinda bored at the moment. lol

All cool.:cheers::cheers:

You sure are right about the four foot creatures.:dizzy:

One thing I'm kind of curious about is why Stihl, as a private company, is concerned with what the EPA is doing at the retail level. I mean, obviously they care, since the retailer sells their product; but would they not be opening themselves up by even passing on the information? A dealer could say "Stihl, you told me XYZ and the EPA added a BS and I got fined, now you owe me." Could it be that Stihl is trying to discourage dealers from modding a saw? Maybe I'm over thinking this, kinda bored at the moment. lol

Well I think its good on their part to keep us informed. As far as opening theirselves up thats not really possible with EPA. They have to follow EPA guidelines at time of manufacture. Their units are all batch tested and reports from their labs are sent to EPA. If those test results don't meet EPA requirements that batch doesn't leave the factory until it does meet EPA requirements. That goes for all manufacturers. Fact is pure and simple whether any of us like it or not, EPA rules the roost.

Far as them discouraging the dealers not to modify saws thats with every maker for alot of reasons, not just EPA reasons. Big thing called liability. No one wants to be stuck with a lawsuit over some piddly non-sense in which the end user could use as an excuse as to why he feels after the accident he's due 5 million bucks or so. Ask any insurance company how they feel about altering chainsaws. You will be amazed as what they tell you..

Well crap...........Does this mean i can get in trouble for modding an electric.

attachment.php

I tried to rep ya for that one!

221!!

Saying that Ignoring the law is not moral is not the same thing as saying a law is moral. Regardless of whether the law is a moral standard, your treatment of it is a moral characteristic. If you choose to ignore laws simply because you don't want to follow them, not for any ethical reason, you are not a moral person. It really is that simple.

Ghandi and Rosa Parks did no t hold your position, thankfully neither does anyone else

Latest posts

Back