Modders beware!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's for retailers. :chainsaw:

Seriously, that is who the EPA weenies will go after, do you think they will go after some guy who's modifying chainsaws on his own? Even people that port saw for others, I don't see them as being the target of this...

Not at first, no.

Not at first.

That's for retailers. :chainsaw:

Seriously, that is who the EPA weenies will go after, do you think they will go after some guy who's modifying chainsaws on his own? Even people that port saw for others, I don't see them as being the target of this...

It's YOU Tommy! It's guys like you that ruin it for all of us! :chainsaw:

You low down retailers...:greenchainsaw:

LOL, if it weren't for us retailers you'd have no saws to mod, wait, that didn't sound right,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No it is not.

A law cannot determine either morals or ethics. It can only determine what is legal and what is not. This is by definition; a law simply cannot claim to rise to that level of authority. This has long been recognized by the legal profession, courts, and our various law making bodies.

That is why every state has laws which allow their laws to be broken when following those laws would result in greater harm.

Mr. HE:cool:

Exactly the law may set a moral minumum but it is by no means a moral standard.

here is the issue, they cannot stop you from modding your own saw. and someone modding someone elses saw cannot be a retailer, as service work cannot be considered goods or commodities, also, how can they prove its nor a competition saw, there are too many loop holes, they asre just sending this letter out to stop as much of it as they can with scare tactics.

Modding saws .......

Insurance liability , EPA , Money trail paypal ect = IRS nightmare.........

My insurance states no modification's and all safety features must work upon customer pick up..............

here is the issue, they cannot stop you from modding your own saw. and someone modding someone elses saw cannot be a retailer, as service work cannot be considered goods or commodities, also, how can they prove its nor a competition saw, there are too many loop holes, they asre just sending this letter out to stop as much of it as they can with scare tactics.

Good post which begs the question, what is a 250.00-300.00 mod job? Is it selling something? I'm wondering would it be same as mechanic working on your car and charging you for it, is that retailing? I know when I repair a saw at the shop a ticket is run and paid for just like anything else in the building and we call it retailing. I think it would have to be retailing, what else could you call it? Selling a service is retailing, I think, :monkey::monkey:

No it is not.

A law cannot determine either morals or ethics. It can only determine what is legal and what is not. This is by definition; a law simply cannot claim to rise to that level of authority. This has long been recognized by the legal profession, courts, and our various law making bodies.

That is why every state has laws which allow their laws to be broken when following those laws would result in greater harm.

Mr. HE:cool:
Saying that Ignoring the law is not moral is not the same thing as saying a law is moral. Regardless of whether the law is a moral standard, your treatment of it is a moral characteristic. If you choose to ignore laws simply because you don't want to follow them, not for any ethical reason, you are not a moral person. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Ok so as long as your not a dealer your ok, right?

Not so sure. If say you yourself take on a mod job for someone you don't really know. You do the work, charge the guy and then the man says buddy you just broke the law. You have little recourse to fall back on. You could say well I didn't know but if your smart enough to mod a saw surely you know your altering the emissions of that saw. I think you would be hardpressed to convince any judge you didn't know.

In Virginia something very common goes on all the time. State police go to car inspection stations in plain clothes and everyday cars. They delibertly try to get the inspector to pass a faulty car with money, coaching or whatever. You'd be amazed how many stations have lost their inspection license over that non-sense and it goes on everyday of the week.

I agree with the scare tactics comment. Like downloading music online, illegal yes. well enforced, no.

Rick

Not so sure. If say you yourself take on a mod job for someone you don't really know. You do the work, charge the guy and then the man says buddy you just broke the law. You have little recourse to fall back on. You could say well I didn't know but if your smart enough to mod a saw surely you know your altering the emissions of that saw. I think you would be hardpressed to convince any judge you didn't know.

In Virginia something very common goes on all the time. State police go to car inspection stations in plain clothes and everyday cars. They delibertly try to get the inspector to pass a faulty car with money, coaching or whatever. You'd be amazed how many stations have lost their inspection license over that non-sense and it goes on everyday of the week.

I was just wondering, I really only like doing it for myself, besides my saws are are better then 99.999999% of the loggers around here.

Happens in NC all the time also. The cars look normal but most have no "SES" or "Check Engine Light" light. They pull the bulbs and catch inspectors like that. Your SES light must work, that lets you know your car is releasing more hydrocarbons into the atomsphere. Like a cylinder skip or loose EVAP hose. Bad thing is it is very easy to spot and who ever passes those cars are dummies and don't need an inspectors license anyway.

Modding saws .......

Insurance liability , EPA , Money trail paypal ect = IRS nightmare.........

My insurance states no modification's and all safety features must work upon customer pick up..............

You have a shop, cool. What did your insurance tell you if you did mod a saw or let it leave without all the safety features working?

Far as safety features goes if the customer refuses to have it fixed I send him out the door, I'm not allowed to work on any unit with broken safety features the customer will not fix. I've sent quite few out the door because they refused to replaced broken chain break handles. Oh well I tell em, take it and get gone...

Saying that Ignoring the law is not moral is not the same thing as saying a law is moral. Regardless of whether the law is a moral standard, your treatment of it is a moral characteristic. If you choose to ignore laws simply because you don't want to follow them, not for any ethical reason, you are not a moral person. It really is that simple.

LMFAO!!! Yeah, you, as well as this disgrace of a government know a hell of a lot about "morals"....:buttkick::dizzy:

As with any undercover "sting", what if you asked the supposed customer if he was a police officer right off the bat? Can they legally lie to you, and still bust you?

You have a shop, cool. What did your insurance tell you if you did mod a saw or let it leave without all the safety features working?

Far as safety features goes if the customer refuses to have it fixed I send him out the door, I'm not allowed to work on any unit with broken safety features the customer will not fix. I've sent quite few out the door because they refused to replaced broken chain break handles. Oh well I tell em, take it and get gone...

I pay alot for business liability ins..........They told me it becomes my issue if I dont follow there policy ........Which means Im on my own ............

Last edited:
I think the EPA needs to have all the a/c units removed from their offices to save energy(and tax dollars.):spam:

It sounds like there's a real grey area between setting a saw so that it runs properly and setting a saw to EPA regs, especially if the 'legal' setting has nothing to do with actually testing the emissions? :dizzy:
Almost seems if there's a dealer 'they' dislike this would make it very convenient to shut them down or fine them??
(I have had a few at this point so forgive me if I missed something.)

As with any undercover "sting", what if you asked the supposed customer if he was a police officer right off the bat? Can they legally lie to you, and still bust you?

Lol, you live in NY and are asking that question? Of course they can lie their ass off.

Now who was saying what about morals ethics and laws?

Happens in NC all the time also. The cars look normal but most have no "SES" or "Check Engine Light" light. They pull the bulbs and catch inspectors like that. Your SES light must work, that lets you know your car is releasing more hydrocarbons into the atomsphere. Like a cylinder skip or loose EVAP hose. Bad thing is it is very easy to spot and who ever passes those cars are dummies and don't need an inspectors license anyway.
the ses light can be used too tell the inspector or the owner if the veh is ready too be tested if you know what too look for..If the light is on steady at key on but goes off when started its ready for insp. If it blinks when key is rolled on its not ready even if its off after starting.
If a fault code has been erased recently the ses will blink at key on untill the veh passes self test. This may take several drive cycles.

Latest posts

Back