Monster air saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Markiewicz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I acquired a Reed-Prentice two man "Timber Sawing Machine" the other day and would like to see it run. The chain master link is missing so I will need that before I even attach a compressor hose-where do I find that master link?

Welcome to ArboristSite

There are two different Wolf (Reed Prentice Corporation) models listed on Mike Acres site. The first one is listed as a Type A Ingorsoll Rand. It weighs 76 pounds. Chain type is listed as Wolf reversible. Good luck finding it. There is a picture of this model.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e04df10617e4b16988256d5400185dcb?OpenDocument

The second model is listed as a Type A Chicago Pneumatic. It weighs 85 pounds. There is no picture or listing of chain type for this model.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ec6577fa518b4a4288256d540018b49c?OpenDocument

Hope you have one hell of a compressor. It had better be capable of at least 70 cfm minimum. Post some pictures of your saw and close ups of the chain you have. Hopefully someone can help you further.

That saw looks like something that belongs in a horror movie down in the bowels of some 1840s factory with these big honking hydraulic hoses coming out of it that it cranes around on like a cobra...

Edit: (Don't ask where they got hydraulic pumps and chainsaws in 1845...)

Edit #2: ...or why an AIR saw runs on HYD FLUID! :dizzy:

Last edited:
Git 'er runnin' !

I think it would be a kick to lay into a log with this 80 lb.+ Beast. I have a diesel mobil Ingersoll compressor that I know will turn it. Just wonder how many rpm I can safely ask of it. Doesn't appear to have been used much-no scuffs or gouges on cases that would indicate much wear. The soft brass tag especially would have seen some abuse-it hasn't. Chain is sharp too. I Love to collect and restore old machinery -better yet to power it up and use it. Need that masterlink-at least see what one looks like and I can maybe make one myself.

I would think the chain would be nearly impossible to find. I tlooks like the old scratcher style chain of years gone by prior to the hooded tooth design we use today, but reversable ???? hmmmm, sounds interesting.

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
I would think the chain would be nearly impossible to find. I tlooks like the old scratcher style chain of years gone by prior to the hooded tooth design we use today, but reversable ???? hmmmm, sounds interesting.

Rotax
they used to call that chain sharks tooth....I have an old Maul with that style chain on it.....old timers said that it was sharpened with a flat file, and when sharpened right, it would really cut!! It was just a bugger to sharpen....kinda like sharpening a circular saw.

Wow! That is one cool nasty looking old monster! When they say its 'reversible chain' do they mean you could flip it around and cut with the top side of the bar?
For your master link would it not be pretty much the same as the existing teeth/rakers, if so you could pop a couple of rivets and get a pattern of the pieces and have a nice rainy-day project! Be a blast to see it up and running again.

:cheers:

IchWarriorMkII said:
I have a 125cfm compressor...

???? WTF do you do with a compressor that big?? Mines 13cfm and about as big as they go running on domestic electricity supply.

Deutz Diesel Ingersoll compressor

Big air wrenches jackhammers etc. for my steel construction business. I burn wood at home and business 24/7 and built my own log splitter. Cut most of my own firewood -did some professional tree trimming when I was younger -thus my interest in this website...also have quite a few saws.

Prentice-Reed close-ups

Cutting tooth measures 5/8 tall 1/4 in. thick. 1/8 thick bar groove insert. Don't know exactly what this air intake involves-guess I'll have to experiment..:monkey:

Chain type

I was told by an old timer today that this a is a Colve type chain- he thinks the original patterns are still out there somewhere...Who is Colve?

The Monster

I am wondering just how loud that saw is in operation. Just figure how loud air tools are in general. I'll bet that the Monster howls. Back when that rascal was built (1927 according to Mike Acres site) the last (or one of the last) things people worried about were noise levels. Back when men were MEN. I have my doubts if chaps would offer much, if any, protection either. Unless they were made out of cast iron.

:jawdrop:

I like the ergometrics of the handle, it must be very comfortable particularly with a one inch hose hanging from the side.:D

Latest posts

Back