Monster air saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handle

Better yet no trigger mechanism.. I guess the shut off valve hung somewhere on the tail fitting. Emergency shut off? ...I don't think so-accidently drop this beast and run like hell I suppose...hope it slashes a hose while it thrashes around-kinda like having a Great White in your boat.

Mike Markiewicz said:
Better yet no trigger mechanism.. I guess the shut off valve hung somewhere on the tail fitting. Emergency shut off? ...I don't think so-accidently drop this beast and run like hell I suppose...hope it slashes a hose while it thrashes around-kinda like having a Great White in your boat.

Or likely a foot pedal valve of some sort, couldn't find out. Wow, talk about hard to find anything in depth on these! I spent a couple of insomniatic hours the other day googlin' and reading, seeing if I could come up with any more info on the chain. Charles Wolf, a resident of the PNW, was apparently quite the inventor and knew his way around the patent proceedures of the day. His origional idea was for an electric saw and I believe his first patent was around 1920 for these (from what I understand the basics were applied to the pneumatic versions). Chainsaw Collectors info says the chain is 'Wolf', so one can surmise that this was another one of his designs, but as for any specifics, nada. In one article it was pointed out that these would have been used in shipyards and mills (and I thought that maybe for cutting ice too), (they were unlubricated btw, no oiler), makes sense as it would have been totally impracticle to use in the woods. I had to laugh that the blade end for 2nd man was called 'the dumb end', I thought that the heavier drive side was more suited for that until I pictured some poor slob hanging on to it during a kickback, yikes! I am often cursed with rabid curiousity in the wee hours and if you could take a look-see if there is a patent no. somewhere on that machine and post it (them) I'd be happy to see if I can get some more information (hopefully some of the patent design pics)on it through some of the archives and free searches that are out there. For the person who thought it might be what is referred to as 'shark tooth' design, nope, different critter, those ones did indeed look like shark's teeth and had no rakers that I could see. There was nada on anything resembling 'Colve' in my searches as well but I think I'll try again on that one, just because....
Lol the 'real MEN' comment *cue the Python's 'Lumber Jack Song'* :laugh:

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
"Godzilla" Up and running

Cleaned the gearcase cover and rtv'd back together last night. Figured with low pressure didn't need to replace original gasket. Filled with new 95-140 gear oil and removed tee air fitting on tail intake then reduced down to 1/4 inch air quick couple for my 5 hp. Champion shop compressor. Lo and behold 'Zilla came back from the dead immediatly withour hesitation. :clap: I then increased the air flow 100% @ 150 lbs. and no strange noises were heard from the beast unless you consider the flup-flup-flup of the piston exaust a little odd coming from a chainsaw. Not a spectacular amount of rpm's from this small hose-hope to devise some sort of masterlink today and test it on the big diesel with 1 inch air line...We shall see...

Mike Markiewicz said:
Not a spectacular amount of rpm's from this small hose-hope to devise some sort of masterlink today and test it on the big diesel with 1 inch air line.

Man, I want to hear that puppy RUN!

(Any chance of posting up an audio file?) :blob6:

Patent No. ?

Sprig said:
Or likely a foot pedal valve of some sort, couldn't find out. Wow, talk about hard to find anything in depth on these! I spent a couple of insomniatic hours the other day googlin' and reading, seeing if I could come up with any more info on the chain. Charles Wolf, a resident of the PNW, was apparently quite the inventor and knew his way around the patent proceedures of the day. His origional idea was for an electric saw and I believe his first patent was around 1920 for these (from what I understand the basics were applied to the pneumatic versions). Chainsaw Collectors info says the chain is 'Wolf', so one can surmise that this was another one of his designs, but as for any specifics, nada. In one article it was pointed out that these would have been used in shipyards and mills (and I thought that maybe for cutting ice too), (they were unlubricated btw, no oiler), makes sense as it would have been totally impracticle to use in the woods. I had to laugh that the blade end for 2nd man was called 'the dumb end', I thought that the heavier drive side was more suited for that until I pictured some poor slob hanging on to it during a kickback, yikes! I am often cursed with rabid curiousity in the wee hours and if you could take a look-see if there is a patent no. somewhere on that machine and post it (them) I'd be happy to see if I can get some more information (hopefully some of the patent design pics)on it through some of the archives and free searches that are out there. For the person who thought it might be what is referred to as 'shark tooth' design, nope, different critter, those ones did indeed look like shark's teeth and had no rakers that I could see. There was nada on anything resembling 'Colve' in my searches as well but I think I'll try again on that one, just because....
Lol the 'real MEN' comment *cue the Python's 'Lumber Jack Song'* :laugh:

Serge
Found R.P.Co. embossed in gear cover casting next to that a riveted tag 6245. Also above brass ID tag small riveted tag 19149

Mike Markiewicz said:
the flup-flup-flup of the piston exaust

Hmmm. I've heard a piston type air engine before, though I can't remember where. Army days? :confused:

Anyway, I remember the sound. Sort of like an automated fart machine. :D

This is cool, Mike. Keep the info coming!

you my want to lookup a retired knight,maybe he with loan you his suit of armor for your next test.
that chain looks scary.
I can't wait to hear and see "godzilla" in action!!

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hmmm. I've heard a piston type air engine before, though I can't remember where. Army days? :confused:

Anyway, I remember the sound. Sort of like an automated fart machine. :D

This is cool, Mike. Keep the info coming!

Me thinks its probably very much like the whop-whop-whop of chopper blades, but slower/quieter, more chuffy, and without the scream of the engine :D I think my elcheapo crappy tire inflator is probably louder lol.

Mike, that is great man! :clap: A good start for resurrection of Godzilla (a great name fer it, quiet, unassuming, ugly, and tough lolol), have you figured out a way to shut it on and off without having to use the compressor?
I see a nice coat of freaky-fresh green, scale-like paint coming :D

Nah, a frankensaw is a parts saw. This deserves better.

Speaking of paint, I think some hammertone would look pretty good on there, if you couldn't find something to match the original.

Just a wee bump on the thread since it is so very interesting. So far the stamped numbers have yielded no further info.. Mike informed me that a masterlink was soon to be manufactured/installed so hopefully we'll eventually get to hear and see this ancient reptile run in a cut or two *baited breath*.
The chain? OMG, rarely have I searched around and found so little particulars on a subject, usually there is something somewhere, gah! When I have another bout of late-night curiousity I think I'm going to dig around on some shipbuilding history, maybe, just maybe find a 'tools of the trade' type thingy, dunno, love a challenge and this is a good one. Unfortunately, being a canuck, accessing US patent info is difficult or costs $. :bang: Someone in the south (like in DC or wherever the main archive is held) might have more luck if they have go have a look-see as a lot of obscure information (I think they are working backwards), is not yet in any sort of data base, I heard years ago that the Library of Congress was going 'on-line' (same bs here too btw), but considering the pathetic budgets and low priority this could take a really long time (I'll leave a list of questions for my grandkids lol, sheesh). I have a couple of more ideas for Mike and because this such an oddity type thing and its piqued my interest I will persue more info time permitting.
Mike! What's the latest on Godzilla Ohsix??? :blob2:

Missing Link

Talked to a few people with milling machines who seemed interested in cutting the two halves I need. If I don't hear from them by Monday I will attempt something on my Foley-Belsaw grinding outfit and heat treat the pieces just to feed Godzilla a couple logs. I give him air and he hops about on the shop floor looking sort of pathetic without his dentures... :( Really raunchy weather last couple days -unfit for man or beast outdoors. Much rain near freezing temps. expect snow tonight. I' m just East of Chicago Ill, close to Lake Michigan. Anniversary of the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking this week-one look at that Lake today and I'm thankful to be a landlubber. Hope I can relate some better news next week and some digital pics too.

Mike Markiewicz said:
I give him air and he hops about on the shop floor looking sort of pathetic without his dentures... :(
Anniversary of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Hope I can relate some better news next week and some digital pics too.

Lolol, if he had his teeth you'd be runnin' and sayin' hail Marys, gah that was funny! :D :D
Time out in rememberance of the brave and great, and sometimes unlucky.
*silent moment and deep cheers*

Oooh! pics be good!

:cheers: :cheers: *falls down* :cheers: :cheers:

NM, excellent project!!

:)

New Chops

No luck with machine shops. Try tomorrow at a forestry commercial chain distributor I found in Dolton, Illinois and maybe find something that size and a sprocket to go with it...

"Colve" chain??

Mike: This is very, very interesting!! Are you sure about the spelling of the name of the chain type?? Can you ask the "old-timer" you talked to for more information about it? I searched internet and patent records and found nothing in patent databases about a 'Colve'; only records on internet search are Dutch family de Colve genealogical records and a governor of New York back in the 1660-1680's.. Anthony Colve...

Mike:

The following inquiry and two photos about a Reed-Prentice Timber Sawing Machine, manufactured by Chicago Tool Company, appeared in the July 1991 issue of Gas Engine Magazine:

Pneumatic Chainsaw. See the two photos of a Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, Little Giant saw. It has four cylinders, two each at 90 degrees to each other. The cylinders are 2 inch bore and 21/4 inch stroke. One tag reads, Timber Sawing Machine, Reed-Prentice Corporation, Worcester, Mass. s/n 18268. Did C-P make the engine and Reed-Prentice adapt it to a chainsaw? When was it built?

Although Gas Engine Magazine has a website and search feature, I haven't yet been able to access the original article.... anyone in the forum got back issues of this magazine??

Maybe "Godzilla" has a formal name already.... Little Giant... maybe we need to search Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company??

More, later.

Would sure like to see a video of this puppy... even at low pressure just blubbin' around on the shop floor....

Edit: OK!! Here's the link to the GEM article:

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/complete-archive/3256/

Looks like the same saw to me.....

Last edited:
Back