Montgomery Wards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I actually used this for years before getting a 041
monkeywards1.jpg

18" bar, 7/16 chain. If someone really wanted it, make me an offer.
It runs well. In fact with a sharp chain I out cut the 041, and almost kept up with a 372XP once.

-Pat

I have no idea.

It used to have a sticky tag that stated "Montgomery Ward"

Not a clue as to the CC. I will look again tomorrow, and if there is anything I have not noticed, I will post.

-Pat

I had a Wards roto tiller with the same gold paint. I felt like a king operating it. Who wouldn't, it was solid gold?
John

Patrick62 said:
monkeywards1.jpg

It runs well. In fact with a sharp chain I out cut the 041, and almost kept up with a 372XP once.

-Pat

Looks like a nice saw - di dyou buy it new?

pbtree said:
Looks like a nice saw - di dyou buy it new?

Not even close. I am guessing it is as old as I am.
The only drawbacks of "old" saws are:
Low RPM
Heavy.
Rare to non-existant parts.

Like the chain for example.... 7/16 pitch??

-Pat

I agree with all of those statements, but somehow they seem to have a soul that a lot of newer machines just do nto seem to have.

the oldest running saw I have is an old Poulan. I bought it new in 1982, and I still use to this day. I have rebuilt a few things from time to time, and it probably will not keep up with the newer Huskies I run, but I do enjoy that saw immensly!

I bet you enjoy your too...

Would anyone happen to know who made this saw for M. Wards? I have an engine and would like to know. Mine is not in as good as shape as yours. Trying to decide where it fits on the project saw list. Thanks.

Justsaws said:
Would anyone happen to know who made this saw for M. Wards? I have an engine and would like to know. Mine is not in as good as shape as yours. Trying to decide where it fits on the project saw list. Thanks.

I just did a "search" and the thread I found that you were involved in (snicker) recently dated 01-16-06....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J.
I think that the '1461' indicates that it is a Power Products engine, and a lot of saw manufactorers used PP engines. Looks like Madsaw might've nailed it.

Thats it!!!. Still have "Direct Drive" in the same font on the air filter cover. However, the casting on mine isn't nearly as square, but it was probably an earlier variant on the same thing. Everything else is there though.

Cool. Mystery solved.

Mark

Does this mean that you suffer from C.R.S ??:confused:
For what it is worth, I sold mine recently. A piece of history sold down the road. I still (or is that Stihl now?) have many fond memories of cutting with the old beast.

-Pat

Patrick62 said:
I just did a "search" and the thread I found that you were involved in (snicker) recently dated 01-16-06....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J.
I think that the '1461' indicates that it is a Power Products engine, and a lot of saw manufactorers used PP engines.

Does this mean that you suffer from C.R.S ??:confused:

I do not think I was involved in any threads that old. I not sure if I owned a computer then.
I was hoping for more specifics since I can not find any using PP engines and the numbers 1416. I look on C.S.C.C.'s under Power Products,Tecumseh, and M. Wards, and Wards. I have looked at almost all of models, I really like that site.
I do not know what C.R.S. is. Hoping it is not fatal!:confused:
Thank you for the reply.

Defination: C.R.S.

Can't Remember S-:censored:
Don't worry, I forget stuff as well. Maybe there are more than 1 "justsaws" on this thread, no matter. Use the search function, and type in Montgomery Ward. It brings a long list of interesting tidbits on the loveable? old timers.

Power products? Tecumseh? Who knows. I know that it had a fair about of torque, almost decent RPM, and enough rumble to scare a Wild Thing.

-Pat

C.R.S.:clap:
Learn something new all the time.
I looked at the old posts again and think they are right as you said. I do not think the saw will be close to the top of the list as I am not into Mono assembled saws. Nothing against them just not my thing right now. Engine size is nice. :)
Thanks for the help and patience. Glad to hear you sold yours.

Yep, I've got one too, in a bit better shape than yours, still with stickers and all. Mine needs a carb kit as well. Had it running, but the impulse pump failed, and the fun ended. Yes, it was supplied to Wards by Mono, and is actually quite modern when you consider it's age, but is still rude and crude. Louder than hell and a bit tamer than a paint shaker. In 2 minutes, mine shimmied across the driveway.

I really wanted to give it a run before I gave it a "seat of honor" and permanent retirement, but I don't imagine a carb kit is going to be an easy find. It was a "hand me down" from Dad, who's getting up in years, but still young for his age. Got that and my Homie 150 from him, the saw I learned on. The 150 is running like a top.

Got the longer version of that same bar too. Mine is a 20".

Mark

This guy runs the House of saws. 1000's of old saws. I bet he can get or find you carb kits. When I told him how I had troubles finding a carb kit for a 70's model carb at the ohio gtg, he stated he had about 20 of that type on hand. He goes by Chainsaw-57 here. or email [email protected]

monkeywards1.jpg

-Pat
This is the exact saw I inherited from my father. I remember him cutting firewood with it in the very early 60's. Has anyone gotten an exact manufacturer and model number for it. The saw I have is very worn and weathered. I will look to see if it has any markings on it. it was a beast of a saw. he bought it from Montgomery Wards.

Looks more like the model you posted, SL-147. I always thought it was a Partner/Pioneer. I remember the muffler being exactly like the SL-147. Thanks Gumneck!
1706194639970.png

At one point, Remington Arms started making saws for MWards too. The history of chainsaws is a rabbit hole...interesting the more you dig.

Latest posts

Back