Most over-rated saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pallis said:
Woe be it unto me to argue with an expert, me being a perpetual novice, but weight wise, the 372 isn't a smaller saw than the 7900. I used the example of your pictures to open up the muffler on my new 372, and I hope you are right about it being close to the 7900. I'll reserve comment on that until the 372 has a chance to break in a little.

Hi pallis,

Don`t be calling me an expert, I`m just like everyone else, just another guy with an opinion.

When I stated that the 372 is much smaller than the 7900 I was referring to displacement. The 372 may in fact weigh more than the 7900, I don`t recall, but I like the feel and handle spacing of the 372 better. The 372 is a great saw IMO and if you consider how few detractors it has vs the huge numbers of 372s that have been sold, it`s got a d@mn good record and following.

The 7900 is a nice saw but other than it`s power to weight ratio there is nothing exceptional about it. I don`t mean to say that there is anything wrong with the 7900 other than local dealer support and distribution. But......, it`s easy to believe that everyone and their brother has a 7900 if you frequent this site and you could make the assumption that with so many out there and so few reported problems, the 7900 must be a stellar saw. In reality, there doesn`t seem to be all that many 7900s out in the field. Maybe there will be someday, but not yet. Again, I am not saying this somehow makes the 7900 bad. It`s just not widely proven yet, so all of this circular logic brings me around to where I think the 7900 is overrated, atleast on this site.

Russ

brent denny said:
Boy, I had better put my head down and hands up after this! I had a chance to use an (almost new) 357xp the other day. Maybe it wasnt really broken in yet but I cant see where the 357/359 fit in the scheme of things. A 365 or 372 would blow it away and a good 50cc saw would make it nervous. Before everyone starts swinging, I am talking a bone stock saw here, not even a muffler mod.

You`ve got an interesting point Brent. I think if you went back a few years into the archives here, you would find that I made a similar statement at the time Gypo got one of the first 357s. Modified is a whole different story.

Russ

You need a 372 to fell trees in NY, man a Poulan 2000 would do just fine. Since all you are cutting is 3" Sumac and Alder with the occasional 6" Black Birch. :p

SawTroll said:
Jokers just left us without any major brand options between 71 and 90cc's, as I think his massacre also kills the PS7300 and the MS 650 looks like a bad joke.
:cry: :cry:

Oh well, I will be hard pressed to justify anything larger the I already have - so it doesn't matter to me.

Troll you can always justify something larger,,,, reason just plain FUN :)
thats why i bought a 372xpg ,,, Though i had a bunch of other reasons
for the wife :p

Hey now, I didn`t mean to say that those saws are no good! Overall, todays saws might be the best ever built if all factors are considered. I just don`t consider several of the aforementioned as worthy of reverence or awe when being compared to other modern saws. More saws is always good and everyone needs something in the 71-90cc range, it`s in the "Man Rules" book.

Steve, I think our best saw here is a Poulan 1000(do they even make such a model? :laugh: ), the days of the old growth sumac and alder that you mentioned, are long gone. :D

Russ

Like Russ said modded saws are a different story. Having said that I will say that my PP7900 is NOT ahead of my EHP372.

Everyone is waiting for the Dolmar PS5100. This saw is following all the hype that the 7900 has brought. This is too bad! The 5100 is not even in American hands yet and it is being built up as a bada$$ saw. I hope it truly is!!!

I will also add that the 346 is one of absolute favorites. The PP346 that I have ran strong before I tore it down. After straightening out Dan's rough port work and a few other things the saw is a pretty good and better runner!!!

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs said:
Everyone is waiting for the Dolmar PS5100. This saw is follwing all the hype that the 7900 has brought. This is too bad! The 5100 is not even in American hands yet and it is being built up as a bada$$ saw. I hope it truly is!!!

Rich, you made an interesting point. Perhaps my #1 overrated saw should be the Dolmar 5100 since only three or so people on this forum can actually get one(which isn`t EPA compliant so may not be what we get in N. America BTW), yet it seems that people are coming out of the woodwork to sing it`s praises. Especially resident Dolmar dealers. hmmmm........only time will tell.

Russ

ehp said:
Mike we agree on somethings, and yes I know I will take heat for this ae well but the 026/260 to me is just not that great of saw , sure they will cut the tree up but for me there are alot better choices for my money to do that job

I hope you meant the regular 260, I use a 260 Pro on a regular basis, and have always been happy with it, cuts good in big wood though bar length is factor, but a good descent screamer all around, maybe I got one of the good ones? I dislike the 026, underpowered for body size and weight.
Shane

Shane M said:
I hope you meant the regular 260, I use a 260 Pro on a regular basis, and have always been happy with it, cuts good in big wood though bar length is factor, but a good descent screamer all around, maybe I got one of the good ones? I dislike the 026, underpowered for body size and weight.
Shane

026/026pro/260/260pro basically the same saws except for the adjustable oiler and heated hand grips on the pro series, balance is same. Still use a couple here, once broken in they are one of the best around, work horses that just keep on running and cutting.

There is no difference in the engine of a 260 versus a 260 pro, except for the decomp valve. So yes, he is saying he thinks your saw is overrated.

This is kinda like dancing on glass, you are gonna irritate someone no matter what you say. There is a lot of applause for different models, I too suspect that a lot of it is armchair saw expert so I will stick with what I know, and saws I have ran. My choice is actually 2 the husqvarna 385xp, and the 390xp. I have held them side to side compaired to a 395(in my case a 394) there just is no difference in weight or size I can detect, and that would be the only reason I can see to give up displacement. So you are gonna carry the same weight, and move the same mass, why limit your displacement, makes no sense to me. The next would be the husquvarna 346xp, to hear people talk this is the fastest saw made. No webbles! At All! Pretty much a over priced (Forgive me!) Poulan Plastic. Slightly bigger version of the Wild Thing, only too expensive to throw away when it goes junk, wich it is out of the box.

The difference also buys you more torque, and a longer bar. I have ran both, and the 044mag is certainly no 046mag. They both seem to be equally popular with fallers(so I am told by the fallers - most of which have 460's now...so, whatever), with the 046/460 spending more time on the landings. I sold my old 046mag to a lumber outfit to add to their landing saws. God knows what that poor thing looks like now. In any case, both of those are two of the GREATEST saws ever made. SO they do not belong in this thread.

I would put my vote to the 346xp - at least when they are stock. The rolling down hill thing i can forgive since it probably helps it limb better. But it's powerband is so narrow compared to my MM'd MS250. That thing better wake up big time with an MM. It's under warranty right now.

Although unfair, since it is all about the cheap home depot pricing, the 6401 is HUGELY over-rated here. It is NOT a 70cc saw no matter how much you guys contend it to be so until I see a non BB 6401 do this to maple with a 28" bar hanging off of it: YouTube - ‪Husqvarna 372XP VS Maple‬‏

And it weighs MORE than my 372XP. ... Whatever....

Jokers I agree with you about the 44 vrs. 46 for most people. The big differance is with a longer bar. Most guys who are using the 44 are not felling 30" trees 6 hrs. a day 5 days a week. These guys usually prefer the 66 until age catches up with them and then it's all about experiance. I think the average joe wood cutter is not going to really see the true bennifits of this saw unless he is cutting large volumes of wood. I think the biggest thing though when looking at the 44 vrs. the 46 is that the 044 did not have a baffle in the muffler. When it is set up next to a 046 that does have a baffle in the muffler it is hard to understand it. However if things are equal and the baffle removed from the 046 muffler then the true differance is seen. In my area the ms440 is $661 the ms460 is $781 (with tax). That $120 buys you 13 more onces and 14% more HP. Is it worth it? some guys don't but others do.

Last edited:
Dang man, you dredged this one up from the bottom of the pit, eh? 6 yr old thread? Just to make that statement? Had to get it off your chest?;):D

this is ok; but do keep in mind that even a perfect saw may have 1:1.000.000 failure.
Now if you are the unlucky winner, that saw is a POS to you.
But does it make the model a failure ?
I think not.

As an example, I bring the VW Passat. A very popular car over here. Reliable as the Universe; Well, I have a friend who has a new one and he has only problems with that car.

cheers

Dang man, you dredged this one up from the bottom of the pit, eh? 6 yr old thread? Just to make that statement? Had to get it off your chest?;):D

I guess the search bar does work... Too funny!!!! The most over rated saw is which ever one that you don't like... I don't care for the brand that starts with the letter H... So they are over rated... LOL!!!!:poke:

Latest posts

Back