Most over-rated saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Well, you knew it'd happen.

Bugfart's thread got me thinking about junk saws everyone else always praises.

so, which saw is talked up more than its worth, in your opinion?

Mine would be the 036/MS360 PRO, I've got one, just threw a new top end in it last night, and it's still not as good as the talking up everyone else gives it.
I purchased it new for $550, Way too much for no more than it is.

Might be ok if all I ever ran was some box store cheapie special.
-Ralph

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
I hope it's not the 039...just bought a 390, happy with it since I ditched the 28" bar at the suggestion of the forum. With the stock 25" Rollomatic ES and chisel it cuts great, but then again it's the first saw I've owned over 3.0 cubes

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
begleytree said:
Well, you knew it'd happen.

Bugfart's thread got me thinking about junk saws everyone else always praises.

so, which saw is talked up more than its worth, in your opinion?

Mine would be the 036/MS360 PRO, I've got one, just threw a new top end in it last night, and it's still not as good as the talking up everyone else gives it.
I purchased it new for $550, Way too much for no more than it is.

Might be ok if all I ever ran was some box store cheapie special.
-Ralph
Any Asite sponsor-built saw. Oops, did I say that? lol :cool:

ehp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mike we agree on somethings, and yes I know I will take heat for this ae well but the 026/260 to me is just not that great of saw , sure they will cut the tree up but for me there are alot better choices for my money to do that job

DirtTroll

DirtTroll

ArboristSite Operative
With-out a doubt the 346XP. I've never been more disappointed in a saw after all the hype as this one. Gone through 2. Both had severe oiler issues. Also the Chain adjustment is plain annoying. I'll never own another. I rate them up there with the 335xp for plain POS.

I take maas's opinion with a grain a salt. He still thinks the 335XP was a great saw.

2Coilinveins

2Coilinveins

Former Member
At first I was blasted by Begley's nomination of the MS360PRO as over rated, but upon reading the rest of his post and finding that they go for $550 new, I agree completely. I bought mine for $200 used and love it for what I do, but no way in hell would I pay $550 for one.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mike Maas said:
I gotta go with the 026. What a little homeowner carpel tunnel machine.

I know I'll get grief for my choice, because that's what most of you "wanna be" chainsaw nerds got from eBay.

I'll second that ... I forget about that one as most guys get rid of them to suckers ... they're a shocker.

Stihl Crazy

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
I would vote for 346. In my area they are behind the 026/260 in performance. Behind the Redmax 5000 as well. Many contractors are going from 346 to Redmax. 346 cost $700, 260 Stihl-$600, Redmax 5000-$500.

Latest posts