motorbike logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Taken in mindanao in the phillipines. They use motorbikes to get the logs out on dirt paths and narrow dirt roads, to paved roads where they untie the logs and tip the motorbike over leaving the logs in piles to be collected by trucks. 6-8 logs at a time, and they ride with a passenger as well as the logs. When not carrying logs, the bikes take up to 10 people.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is pretty ####tin' cool! Never would have dreamed I would see something like that! I want to see the 10 people riding at once though! Imagine cornering..""Ok, everyone lean...WAIT...not everyone at the same time!!" LOL!

At the risk of going off topic....

attachment.php

This one has only 7 people, and 3 of them are kids so that doesnt count for much. The people on the tank apparently help keep the front wheel on the ground. The driver and passengers all have a good sense of balance!

attachment.php

When you're serious about passenger carrying you need the side supports, like for logging. It's not a bad business either; you can log all day, carry passengers as a taxi on your way home, and deliver livestock on the weekends. I cound 9 on this motorbike, which is actually in motion. 8 are pretty obvious, and one more on the far side outriggers with his head only visible.

Shaun

That is quite incredible to say the least! Our "Barney Fife" cops around here would have an instant brain aneurysm if that rolled by on the streets!

Last edited:
If I put that much weight on those narrow tires

it wouldn't move a foot before sinking to the hubs.

Just seems so improbable. I wouldn't even put that many logs in my ratsun truck, let alone on a scoot. I can't see how it would be cost effective, wear and tear versus whatever they make from hauling the wood.

They must have some tremendously skilled bike mechanics around there.

I guess it's easy to forget that a very large number of people in the world still don't have electricity, running water, health care etc. The going wage for an educated person in the phillipines is about $375/month, but manual laborers out in the sticks make as little as $2/day. These guys are living in bamboo shacks with thatch roofs. An extended family might pool all their savings together to buy a bike, and the bike has to make money. There might only be a couple bikes in a small village, so the bike literally does do every job. They'll find ways of hooking things up to the wheels to use it as a stationary plant, and the pics with 10 people on a bike are taxis. They might get 5c off each person for a trip, which adds to your daily wage. While in korea I saw absolutely everything delivered by bike - whole cows, 5 or 6 live pigs, full size double door fridges, even saw some bikes with 2 or 3 other bikes on the back of them sideways. They replace the suspension with solid struts. I tried riding them unloaded, they were very under braked. I took my buddy's bike (an XT600) on the back of a small bike (125cc) for a distance of about 40 miles.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't think economics enters into it so much. These people are barely subsistence living, having enough foods is a cause for celebration. Getting an education for your kids is a big deal and worth skipping meals for. Major holidays are times when you can fill your tummy, properly. The concept of buy a truck or a piece of heavy equipment is so far beyond reality for most of these people that it probably doesn't even cross their mind. This sort of small scale hand logging isn't for export; most of it probably ends up milled by guys with saws for the local market. Poorer people build their houses out of whatever materials they can find, but if you're a little better off then you can afford to buy some lumber and build something a little more sturdy, possibly with electricity and maybe even a refrigerator.

[video=youtube;02QWRo1W4II]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QWRo1W4II[/video]

I think most of you guys would have seen this vid but we might as well chuck it in here for future viewing since it's related. The guys voice is pretty annoying but you can always turn the sound off.

Shaun

Last edited:
Haha I'm so printing that to show to my forester safety buddy. I don't think the guy takes off his safety glasses while having sex! This will kill him. :rock:

Hmm. I'm not sure I'm buying all of this motorcycle log truck thing.
When I was a kid I tried to be a motocross racer. I've blown the seals out of several front forks with just 140 lbs of my butt on the bike. Just can't picture these guy's getting too far with a couple thousand pounds of logs, and 140 lbs of butt.

But, it is on the internet....it must be true. :bang:

Andy

When I was a kid I tried to be a motocross racer. I've blown the seals out of several front forks with just 140 lbs of my butt on the bike. Just can't picture these guy's getting too far with a couple thousand pounds of logs, and 140 lbs of butt.

Andy

Thrashing around on a motocross bike is a bit different to slowly carting logs/pigs/cows/people down the road.

And besides, those bikes are probably way tougher than a motocross bike :potstir:

Andy

Funny you mention fork seals...look at the bike in the 2nd set of pics...both seals are blown! LOL! See the dust line towards the inside of the fork tube?

Taken in mindanao in the phillipines. They use motorbikes to get the logs out on dirt paths and narrow dirt roads, to paved roads where they untie the logs and tip the motorbike over leaving the logs in piles to be collected by trucks. 6-8 logs at a time, and they ride with a passenger as well as the logs. When not carrying logs, the bikes take up to 10 people.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am taking my teepee to Sturgis,thats it!

Just when the Forest Shurrcuss thought i couldn't get to that fire wood behind that gate, i broke out the Tote-Gote!!!LOL:greenchainsaw:

He could bolt a canoe on each side, come up with a PTO to a prop, and do some fishing in between log loads....

Back