Mounting winch Vermeer 1800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glennak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a vermeer 1800 I was told it would cost ~$5000 to mount a hydrolic winch and it would cover the trap door to get to the top of the rollers. THis would be a hassel to grease the roller tracks and a lot of money.
I was thinking of mounting an electric winch with an extra deep cycle battery this would be less than $1000 I think. Has anyone done it? I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. What size electric winch would I need? I would like lowest current draw but enough power any ideas?

Abandon the idea of a winch and get a bobcat mt55 miniloader with a grapple.
I have an 1800 with a winch. I thought it was the most awesome thing ever until I bought the mini. Now I use the winch only once in a while. The mini will feed the chipper faster than the winch as well as do a hundred other tasks.
Trust me, the mini is god's gift to tree cutters. If you don't have one, you're just uninformed. If you get one, I guarantee you'll let me know I was right.
Gerasimek

Went to Vermeer and was told you could not mount a winch on an 1800. They were not made to take the forces involved the latter models were.
I have been thinking of building a frame up from the chassis so it can take the load.

go to a metal fabricator and get some tips or ideas or just let tem do it. thier are tons of companies that make hydralic winches. im sure you could use an aftermarket one and get just about the same performance, at a lesser price. winches on chippers to me are well worth the money i have a grapple for my skid steer and winch on my chipper. we find new and amazing ways to put them to work everyday.

Did see a secondhand Ramsey Hydraulic Winch for sale off a tilt tray. But didn't buy it as I was thinking I couldn't mount it. But there is a bit of room between the fuel tank and drum and betwween the belts and drum on the other side. Then mount a pully set up on the top of the shoot that should only get small downward force.

Went to Vermeer and was told you could not mount a winch on an 1800. They were not made to take the forces involved the latter models were.
I have been thinking of building a frame up from the chassis so it can take the load.

This thread is a bit old. But I can say that Gerasimek does have a winch on his 1800.. I have seen his setup in person.

The choice of a winch or a skidsteer grapple depends on the work situation. If the logs are being dragged from far away over steep terrain, then winch. If you have a one-person crew and a single vehicle, then winch. I'm looking for a factory winch setup for my now-winchless BC1800A. A while back I saw a wrecked (rolled over) BC1800XL chipper advertised, but now I can't find it. The parts book shows that even the main frame is different with the winch, but I think it's only because the winch bracket is welded in. Please let me know of any parting out BC1800A or XL with winch. Thanks.

Here's the Vermeer BC1800A winch version of the frame in red overlaid on the non-winch version in black. It seems pretty doable to add the winch. The basic frame is identical. There's even a blanking plate on the non-winch where the controller would be. Who parts out chippers?

View attachment BC1800a no-winch vs winch.jpg

Back