MS 260/ 026 Plastic & Filter Interchangability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding an older 026. It's not a Pro and has the smaller filter without the extra hole. Is the plastic interghangable from a 026 Pro to a 026?

I also noticed that the 026 I have does not have the hole in the filter like my 026 Pro does. Can the Pro filter be put on the non-Pro as long as I plug the hole in the filter? How does swapping the filters affect the plastic interchangability?

1. 026 Pro plastic on a 026. y/n
2. 026 plastic on a 026 Pro. y/n
3. MS 260 plastic on a 026. y/n
4. 026 w/026 Pro filter with 026 plastic. y/n
5. 026 w/026 Pro filter with 026 Pro plastic. y/n
6. 026 w/026 Pro filter with MS 260 plastic. y/n

The filter won't fit unless you a have the tank with the small white vent...

If you can't fit the filter, you can't use the MS260 or later 026 air filter cover.

If you can't use the correct fiter cover, the 260 shroud will look dorky..

If you have the right tank (you probably don't), you can use the compensating air filter by changing the end on your carb.

I don't know if there is a nylon filter for the older 026, Lakeside? but if so that would help. Otherwise the older 026 filter could be improved as far as flowing more air as long as your not using it in a sand pit.

I've never seen the older one in nylon format. Personaly, I think the nylon is just terrible at its primary fuciton - air filtration... The fines get though.. but if all you have is big chunks, no problem. Great flow, but...

I know it is a bit hack, but I just pulled the black breather, plugged a 6 inch piece of ~1/4-5/16 inch rubber tubing into the breather hole and ran it up over the larger filter with a small bit of flock in the in the end of the tube. Does not seam to leak and lets enough air in.

That small filter draws my modded saw down over 2500 rpm.

Mounting one of the vents from the likes of the newer MS290 would work too - plugs into the end of the tube so you could use that with complete safety.

I agree on air filters. Most guys are preoccupied with opening up muffers, but the air end gets neglected.

Latest posts

Back