MS 270, 290, or 260 Pro??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the three mentioned in the title the 290 will work just fine and has a nice price too.

Somthing's wrong with your 455.... Just fix it.... New chain? New bar?

Any of the saws you listed will work fine, but you can do better :)

For the record, 346xp cost less here than a MS260.

I actually never stated an opinion on Huskys one way or the other. The chain will not stay tight even with 30+ ft lbs of torque on the nuts...and chains don't stretch enough to have to be tightened mult times per use every single time you use it. I also have almost no dealer support for Husky in my area, just box stores, the one dealer for Husky in my area looks like a junkyard to be honest. I repair/rebuild all my own motors (4 stroke, 2 stroke, etc) so ease of maint is a must...can't remember the last time I hired out anything.

Thanks kindly for all the suggestions, please keep them coming!...

Is that saw still under warranty?

If so, take it back anyway - something isn't right! I don
't care for the model, but it sure isn't junk!

Somthing's wrong with your 455.... Just fix it.... New chain? New bar?

Any of the saws you listed will work fine, but you can do better :)

For the record, 346xp cost less here than a MS260.

I suspected that - here it costs a lot more, but it is well worth the difference, imo! :D

However, as his dealer situation is as it is, I can understand why he wants a Stihl.

one more vote for the 260 PRO. great little saw very light and nimble, easy to work on, and will handle your cutting needs. if you need a boost in power, a muffler mod really wakes this saw up!

First I would like to thank EVERYONE for their advice...it was all taken into consideration. I did indeed return/refund the 455R. I was very interested in the Husky 346 but no respectable dealer support for Husky around these parts so I had to rule it out unfortunately. I just got back from the Stihl dealer by me that happens to be an Elite level dealer. They took care of me on an MS 280, they swapped in an 18" bar with a non-safety chain and tuned the saw, saw was rung up below retail, sold me a case for cost (since there was no case promo at the time), and he threw in some HP Ultra. So for $89 more I was able to go from a 455R to an MS 280 and the dealer support that goes with it, I'm very satisfied. They are straight shooters and very customer oriented is why I like dealing with that dealer, the other dealer across town is more service instead of customer oriented (their service dept makes them their money). I look forward to searching this site and learning a lot from you guys, thanks again! :)

Congratulation to your interesting buy.

Not on my list but lets hear and see some pics how you use&like it. It is not a mega seller and we seldom see&hear from them here at AS.

Good luck and don't forget ppe!

Good choice on the MS 280. That is a solid saw. :rock: And congrats on getting a good Stihl dealer who will knock a little of the price and give excellent service when needed. I really like my Stihl dealer. I have bought a blower and trimmer from him over the last 5 years and all the accessories I have needed, but I have never gotten any kind of a discount from him.:buttkick: When I was shopping for a saw a month ago, I went to see him about the MS270 and MS280, I couldn't even get a free case or discount from him! lol I finally purchased my mint MS270 from fleabay and saved $150 from his price.....and it included the case:rock: My dealer's price on the shelve is what it is. Anyway, I still like them very much!

Enjoy your saw!:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back