MS 280__looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecreature

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a new MS 280 back in November.
I was cleaning it over the weekend and found the Handle had busted off the bottom.
The handle and where it attaches to the bottom are both busted.
I took it to the dealer. He says this is gonna cost ya. I told him I doubt it.

Take a look at the pic and tell me what is up.

I really like the saw but if this is going to continue I will upgrade in a heart beat.

View attachment 226413

View attachment 226414

Last edited:
tree monkey does make the mounts.
the design does leave a little to be desired.

they are saying it is not covered under warranty. but they will split the cost with me.
we will see if I can squeeze them a bit more.

it is only 3 months old, I worked it up until I shut it off only to find it while using the compressor to clean it up.
I honestly do not know when it happened. or if it has been that way from the start.

I would say if its only three months old Stihl would and should do something about it. Squeeze em abit harder. :msp_sneaky:

I think stihl should step up on this......fix it.....replace it........or store credit and you can get a 261

I think stihl should step up on this......fix it.....replace it........or store credit and you can get a 261

I like the way you think.

I was thinking 362 if it came to that. The store is a True Value. Its been around for years. I might see what the store owner has to say. I have used there rental department for years now.

thanks for the input...

Latest contact with Stihl Tech,

I offered the tank housing to you at a reduced price to help make your repairs as inexpensive as possible. And very HAPPY to help with the situation. The break in this part is not a factory defect in the parts or workmanship. The bar has been pinched or somehow pressure has been applied or saw has some kind of impact?? I do not believe this tank just broke, I don't understand it just breaking. This being said I do value your business and very happy to help. You asked about trade ins and this varies some dealers do and some don't. They are independent businesses and it is up to them. Again I'm very happy to help.

Not much help uh.... Sure weighs into future purchases.

Better AV mounts won't address this issue at all.

Nope, it wouldn't have made any difference. If I would have done something to make this happen
I would have chalked it up to a learning experience. I worked the saw but not beyond its means.

I have some old Poulans that have taken much more abuse then this saw. without any complaints.
well not to many complaints.

I realize this but If the OP is going to fix this saw. He might as well do it right. Especially with the weak mount issues on the 280.

agreed. but I doubt I could get the dealer to install the mounts.

If I did it, it would void the warranty... wait... there is no warranty.

Agreed. The mounts did not break, the handle broke.

I've not had problems with the AV mounts or the handle on my 270 after 4 years of use and abuse....

I believe there had to be a hairline crack or something in the works to exacerbate this break.

You need to find a dealer that's willing to go to bat for you.

I do have a dealer that is not as close that I like really well. They know their saws and have tons of follow up customers.
They rent big equipment. I should have gave them my business in the first place.

The place I bought it is more home owner stuff in a well affluent area. Couple hundred bucks doesn't mean much.
The saw is in the shop already.

I cant really tell from the pictures but looking at what I do see, I see fresh clean plastic where the break is. If it had been like that from the start, it would be dirty in the break.
I do agree with the comment on a hairline fracture. That is possible and should be covered if that is the case.
I am only going by what I see. Picture is not clear enough for me to be 100%.

Latest reply

I contacted the dealer (Brad) he and I worked together, please take your saw to them and they will repair it n/c to you.

this is how it should work

Latest posts

Back