ms 290 stuttering, boggin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegajim

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know this must've been posted already, but a couple of questions on a Stihl MS290.

1) While sawing the other day, the saw seemed to bog, well actually kind of 'stutter.' It was in the 50's that day, the wood cut was ash, and the bar was not being pinched. BTW, the saw was checked over and "adjusted" on the carb to make it easier to start (less than 6 - 7 pulls) and all I could tell is that it uses less fuel. I'm thinking that an adjustment of 1/4 turn on the high speed jet may be in order.

2) Supposing the adjustment of the hi speed jet doesn't cut it, would it be feasible and reasonable to change the jug and piston to a 390? I cut around 2 cords of wood/year, so if the conversion cuts into the life of the saw, it wouldn't be any great shakes, since the saw doesn't see a lot of use.

3) Most likely option, time to cut a hole in the muffler and "mod" it. Route me to post that has this info. On the fence about "modding" but may do so eventually.

thanks much

By bog down, do you mean that's it's RPM's smoothly dropped and the chain stopped moving in the wood? Or did the engine actually sputter and run poorly and just loose power, with the chain not necessarily stopping?

I think a jump to a larger jug would be a stretch, but it's physically possible. The only thing you run into is the price of a new jug/piston vs. the price of a whole new saw. An entire saw would of course cost more, but may be more cost-effective depending on the condition of the 290, and what your work (provided you're doing it yourself) is worth to you. If you're having a dealer do it, then with their labor, you'd be alot closer to the price of a new saw.

I'd look at a carb adjustment and definately at the muffler mod. There's actually a couple of 029/290 muffler threads here on the site.

The other thing is that saws normally bog sometimes. You'll have that. My 440 was boggin yesterday if I tweaked it in a cut or tried to restart a cut buried. It happens.

Jeff

stuttering

It was more of a stutter, like the spark was intermittently cutting out. Saw is only 3 years old, maybe 50 - 60 hrs Feels like 100. However, out of the wood, the saw ran fine. Just under load it bogged (prolly too lean) and at times (not the same time) stuttered like the spark cut out. Weird.

Although a bit later on, the nose sprocket was jammed, may be part of the problem.

I guess the part that disgusts me is, Dad's old saw (a 028 no less) cut like it was on fire. Had a new proffesionally sharpened chain on it, and the saw pulled like no tomorrow. Didn't miss a beat and couldn't make it bog for anything. When the other guys say these things are anvils, they aren't kidding.

Don't have the manual handy, the high speed screw adjusts ccw to richen? The ms290 should be able to hold it's own against an old 028 (approx. 200 hrs, home owner saw and all).

Yes CCW to richen. Take it to the stop - that's the factory setting... and try it. If you remove the limiter cap, its one turn out from gently seated. Tune from that point, but unless you are at altitude, the setting should be very close to the factory set point.

The 029 will easily outcut an 028.

Latest posts

Back