MS 362- would an 18 inch bar be an improvement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the Stihl web-site, the weight difference between power heads on an MS 261 C-M and an MS 362 C-M is a little over a pound. 11.6 lbs. vs 12.8 lbs. respectively.

I don't see the 362 as being notoriously heavy. :confused:

Well, it is quite a bit heavier than the 361 and the 560xp, and also heavier than the 562xp in the real world (13.0 to 13.2 lbs vs. a well documented 12.8) - but the weight is far from the main issue. There are other 60cc saws that are heavier, like the Echo 620.

Hey Skip, you've got all the advice you need about bar length already - 6dl shorter won't make a huge difference, and it's not really worthwhile on a saw that's still got a pretty much new bar. Might be worth it when you wear out the bar you've got.
There are a couple of things I'd try first -

Look into buying a good file guide. I think the only one that is worth having is the stihl fg2, unfortunately they are over $200. They are an awesome tool for teaching the correct way to file, once you've got filing down pat with it your filing in the field with just a file, a file with a simple guide, or roller guide will improve. There are cheaper types that clamp onto the bar, I never had any joy with them, but plenty of others do.

Second i'd try a couple of loops of different chain. Try a loop of full chisel, and try a loop of Carlton semi chisel skip. Both will cut with a little less load on the saw when they are sharp, both get blunt quicker than full comp semi chisel.
The full chisel is a little less forgiving to sharpen than what you have, but much faster when you get it right. The semi chisel skip is just the same to sharpen - but with less cutters.
Personally I find I can usually go a tank without sharpening with full chisel in gum, and if you hit some rotten filth it's blunt in a single cut anyway so I use full chisel more than semi. Plenty of other Aussies use semi chisel or carbide chains exclusively as they are cutting filth all the time. Only you can work out what works for you.

Good chain info,thanks for that
I've been searching for an FG2 for a couple of weeks now,but cant find one anywhere ,got a granberg file n joint,its ok,but doesnt lock the chain down and i seem to be taking more out of the left cutters than the right.
I'm working up to using a roller guide correctly,just need more practice!
My main reason I asked about a different bar was that i have a $250 cashback deal on the new 362 if i spend it on stihl stuff at the dealers,and I'm wondering what to spend it on.

I don't know why I'm doing this....

The 362 and the 562 feel different in my hands and I have a preference. I understand that some people believe that to be personal preference. They also have a different feel to the way they develop power and respond to the throttle - this is only relevant with stock saws, and I don't use them anyway. (Stock saws are for employees).

What isn't personal preference- but is location specific - is the vastly better filtration on the stihl. The husky 562 requires a felt filter with greased mating surfaces in even slightly dusty conditions to stop the ingestion of fines.
What also isn't personal preference is the fact that if someone owns one or the other of these two saws the minuscule differences couldn't possibly add up to making it worthwhile to sell one and buy the other. As OP mentioned earlier the comparison of an 038 and a 362. Now that's a significant difference. 562 vs 362 - it's about 5/8ths of f-all.

I've been searching for an FG2 for a couple of weeks now,but cant find one anywhere ,got a granberg file n joint,its ok,but doesnt lock the chain down and i seem to be taking more out of the left cutters than the right.
My main reason I asked about a different bar was that i have a $250 cashback deal on the new 362 if i spend it on stihl stuff at the dealers,and I'm wondering what to spend it on.
Get them to order an fg2!!!!!
Benne quoted a price ex Melbourne depot in the Aussie dribble thread. I'm sure you can hunt through the last few pages and find it, or search his posts.

Taking more left rather than right is pretty much standard with any guide or grinder I have used. Just measure the first tooth on the second side and adjust to suit.

Stihl makes a nice timber jack and their bars and chain are VG. (for Round file, try RS).

Ryan, I only mention the saw wt now and then to see what threads you are reading, I'm glad it does not get you exited! Actually, Troll mentioned the wt in an inaccurate way (IMO).

My main reason I asked about a different bar was that and I'm i have a $250 cashback deal on the new 362 if i spend it on stihl stuff at the dealers,wondering what to spend it on.

Down payment on the 461. ;) Ron

Well, it is quite a bit heavier than the 361 ... .

Post of mine from another thread:

No angry letters, please. I won't compare Stihl to another brand as I haven't run any other 60cc saw. But I do have an 036Pro, a ported MS361 and two MS362 (non-M). I have never noticed any handling differences, but I don't have much time on the 361. Never felt any weight difference either.

Just out of curiosity, I topped off with fuel and oil all three models and weighed them with 20" bars on the bathroom scales. Bear in mind that the 036 holds 625cc of fuel and 320cc of oil, the 361 holds 685cc of fuel and 325cc of oil, and the 362 holds 600cc of fuel and 325cc of oil. The 362 was wearing a green bar while the other two were wearing yellow bars. I assume the green bar is lighter but I don't know.

The results: 036Pro right at 18 1/4#; 361 right at 17 3/4#; and 362 just over 18#.
img_3811-jpg.420778

036Pro
img_3812-jpg.420779

img_3813-jpg.420780

I also eyeballed the engine widths with a tape measure. 036Pro and 362 appear to be identical at around 7"; the 361 around 6 3/4". Overall width appears to be the same. The bulkiness of one over the other appears to be just an optical illusion.

img_3814-jpg.420781

Ron

Weight comparisons that aren't about empty and clean PHO always are meaningless for everyone but yourself, as a lot of variables enter the picture.
Your results seem quite representative though, considering your comments about different tank capasities and bars - but those comments will soon be forgotten by many that read the post, while the numbers may stick.....

The 362 obviously was at an advantage in you comparison, with less fluids and a lighter bar.

Weight comparisons that aren't about empty and clean PHO always are meaningless for everyone but yourself, as a lot of variables enter the picture.
Your results seem quite representative though, considering your comments about different tank capasities and bars - but those comments will soon be forgotten by many that read the post, while the numbers may stick.....

I have never found a good use for an empty clean PHO. Have you?

Nonetheless my point here and in the other thread is let's be realistic about the weight issue as I don't believe the manufacturers are comparing apples to apples nor are they necessarily reliable. Same goes for hp numbers.

Ron

If I had to pick one bar to use on my 361 it would be the 18". I like the extra reach and it pulls it without any trouble. The 20 seems cumbersome and I rarely need a bar that long for the wood I generally cut. On the topic of weight when I switch back and forth from the 460 to the 361 the weight is very noticeable. The 361 feels so much lighter I sometimes think why do I use the 460 when I have this. Then when I switch back to the 460 the extra power is so nice I forget about the weight, until I grab the 361 again. I'm not sure what my point is, but if you are only running one saw you will get used to that saw and won't notice the weight.

Funny thing..........I wasn't even all that aware of chainsaw weights until I became a member of this site many years ago.

Prior to that, I just picked up and used what I had at my disposal. Nothing much has changed in that regard, other than the fact that I now know others are indeed, concerned about what saws weigh.

I have never found a good use for an empty clean PHO. Have you?

Nonetheless my point here and in the other thread is let's be realistic about the weight issue as I don't believe the manufacturers are comparing apples to apples nor are they necessarily reliable. Same goes for hp numbers.

Ron

The point is to eliminate as many variables as possible, when doing comparisons. Specially the bars can make a lot of weight differense, even though they are the same length....

The point is to eliminate as many variables as possible, when doing comparisons. Specially the bars can make a lot of weight differense, even though they are the same length....
Fluids also. The 6100 holds a lot more fuel and bar oil than the others

Latest posts

Back