MS 400 Costing me money!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quite aware of the cc and hp difference of the saws I own . I guess maybe what I am feeling when running them side by side is the 400 seems to rev better and I have never felt like the 7900 felt good ergonomically in my hands I always preferred my 361 and the 400 feels like a 361 on steroids..

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I run my neighbors Echo from time to time. Feels heavy slow loud, difficult to handle etc. Seat of the pants is all i got to measure HP. I'm looking forward to running my 400. Currently i have 2 feet of snow on the ground and low 20s,,, I'm not going outside.

I just picked up an MS400 with 25” light bar, running full comp chain. Seemed a little boggy and unimpressive to me first cuts in 24” Doug Fir compared to my 362 20”. You guys running a full house or skip with this saw and 25” bar? I realize it’s got a ways to break in but thought I’d ask. Mostly cutting 15-25” Doug Fir here in WYO. Thanks. Also, where can I get a full wrap for this thing?
I definitely would say go with a full skip chisel chain on that size bar Guess the cutting teeth a chance to disperse the chips and it's less drag. That's what I'm running on my ms038 mag. and it's eating locust with ease.

I definitely would say go with a full skip chisel chain on that size bar Guess the cutting teeth a chance to disperse the chips and it's less drag. That's what I'm running on my ms038 mag. and it's eating locust with ease.
On my 361 I run a 25" lite bar and stihl RS skip chain. It works good in Ponderosa and Douglas fir.

I was flogging a tree (partial blow down) with a MS290 I rebuilt I wanted to run it in wood for awhile to break in. I think the bar is a little messed up, so like I said I'm watching the fine mist (chain) and it's not cutting right. Said F it went and got my MS400 out.. Problem solved the 400 cuts like a champ. Just need a new bar and a sharp chain on the 290.

Here is a guy that puts a full wrap on his ms400c. He calls it a 362 Wrap Kit. Looks like it is from Stihl, and it looks expensive, cause for some reason he has to put on a new clutch cover.

The Wrap kits for the 361 and 362 come with a "West Coast" big side cover, slightly larger - dual bucking spikes with chain catcher and a scrwrench. They sell for about $200 USD.

So thoughts on full comp vs skip with this setup in pine/Doug fir? Right now there’s an RS on it.

I don’t have any experience cutting doug fir, but if I was cutting hardwood, I would run a 20” bar max. 25” bar is 500i turf.
Sell the 7900 and get a 500i, you won’t regret it.
I was going to buy a 400, but with my ported 2159/65&71’s I doubt I will.

I‘m waiting for the 300i with heated handles.

Reporting back, after running both full house and full skip on a 25” bar on the 400, skip is slightly faster when buried close to the full length of the bar. The 400 easily pulls the 25 as well. Kinda touchy starting and warming up though compared to my 362.

Reporting back, after running both full house and full skip on a 25” bar on the 400, skip is slightly faster when buried close to the full length of the bar. The 400 easily pulls the 25 as well. Kinda touchy starting and warming up though compared to my 362.

M-Tronics. Same with my ms261. I've learned to just leave it in choke (triangle) position for 20 to 30 seconds before I touch the throttle.

Back