ms 441 r c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys I got two new saws to add to the collection the new MS441 rcm and a new MS261. The MS261 runs great and I am very impressed with the way it cuts and the fuel economy it gets, a man can really get a good bit of cutting done on one tank. Now on to the MS441 rcm, I like how easy the saw starts compared to my standered MS441. This saw seems to run great wot, but I am having a problem with it idleing. When the saw comes back down to idle and you let it set for a minute or two it seems to want to load up and if you pick the saw up real quick it will die. Also when you first start to give the saw some gas it stumbles, then picks up. The other weired problem I had was I hung the saw today and when i pulled on the saw it would rev up. When I hung the saw the first thing i did was loosen the chain as so i wouldn't be putting any pressure on the crank seals. Is it possible that when you put a good bit of push on the av it pulls on the throtle cable causing it to rev? I have done what the stihl manual calls for in setting the m-tronic, cutting 5 steady cuts. I have also tried letting the saw run in the start position for 1 minute to calibrate. None of this stuff seams to help. If anybodies got any sugestions lets hear them.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if brad did a thread on the MS441 RCM that he work on that was having idleing issues? I have tried to search for it but I keep coming up with nothing.:bang:

This saw seems to run great wot, but I am having a problem with it idleing. When the saw comes back down to idle and you let it set for a minute or two it seems to want to load up and if you pick the saw up real quick it will die.

Does anybody know if brad did a thread on the MS441 RCM that he work on that was having idleing issues? I have tried to search for it but I keep coming up with nothing.:bang:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178634-53.htm#post3245213

You mean this?: Hopefully Brad will chime in with his linkage fix.....
[video=youtube;N1XlU_O46rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1XlU_O46rs[/video]

I have done what the stihl manual calls for in setting the m-tronic, cutting 5 steady cuts. I have also tried letting the saw run in the start position for 1 minute to calibrate. None of this stuff seams to help. If anybodies got any sugestions lets hear them.

Bar and cover off, in choke (start) position for 1 minute right?

I do wish the MS261 had the m-tronics.
You and I both!

Last edited:
Sorry guys yall must have been posting as i was typing lol. I didn't do the calibration with the bar and chain off maybe i'll try that tomorrow and see if that want fix the problem.

Last edited:
Just watched the video that brad had of the idleing issue, mine is doing the same exact thing it hunts around while idleing. Maybe brad can tell me how he fixed his:msp_confused:

Last edited:
You know it almost seems like an air leak kinda. Maybe i just need to tear into the saw tomorrow and give it a good looking over.

Did you follow the link I posted above???

"Finally! The idle issue is finally resolved. It was nothing more than a tiny adjustment screw in the linkage of the carb. It was causing the clean air butterfly to leak. Then the M-Tronic would add fuel, trying to make up for it, causing it to load up at idle, and the have poor throttle response. I haven't had it in the wood since the fix, but I can make it idle rough and right back to smooth with a couple turns of this little screw."

Last edited:
I think we need to get a little more action going in this thread.....

Sausage anyone??

man-sausage-fest.jpg

My bad gcsupraman. Like a dumb a$$ I didn't see the link, I just watched the video and i'll check out the link. lol

Last edited:
Well I sure wish Brad was online to tell me what screw he adjusted. I am trying to locate said screw, but seem to be having no luck :bang:

Well guys I took the B/C off the saw and ran the calibration, like was suggested and it seems to have fix the idling issues. The saw also seems to be more snappy with the throtle response. Thanks for the advise gcsuraman. ;)
When porting this model what seems to be the most important part of the port job? Lower transfers, exhaust, or tapering the cylinder transfers back toward the intake. Also is it good or bad to run the cylinder without the base gasket? all advise appreciated. Thanks Adam

Last edited:
My MS441R C-M had the same traits as yours when new. After idling for more than 30 seconds, the throttle response was poor and the idle seemed to hunt a little bit. The one minute, no bar and chain, start position, calibration procedure helped get rid of the idle quirks. Now several tanks of fuel later, the saw is very well mannered and violently responsive. I have noticed on occasion that if the bar is bound and I yank on the power head the idle would slightly increase, but not enough to want to engage the clutch. I removed the air cleaner, cover, and base to get a look at the throttle cable in an effort to give it some slack, but could not see an angle to do so. So I clamped the bar in a vise, started it up, and tried to replicate my experience with a bound bar in the woods. What I came up with is that the engine would only increase in rpm if my finger was resting on the trigger. If I backed my palm down the handle so the trigger lock became engaged, the rpms would not change no matter how hard I pushed and pulled against the A/V springs. So I just altered my technique a little when it comes to a bound up bar, and all seems to be well. Best of luck to you and your new saws.

Back