******MS 460 MS 660 Decisions******

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ported they are similar, 390 will take the edge in smoothness . And of coarse way better air filtration, which in dead dusty wood makes a world of diff. Don't even bring up a 395, I sold that thing real quick, bulky , outboard clutch , not much better than the 390 or 660. Wasn't impressed at all. I got my 390 while i was in florida at express mower parts for $960 otd! with a 32" bar and 3 chains. Revs quick , pulls a 42" bar in oak with out issue, and absolutely tears it up with a 32" bar. Huge fan of the 390. Everyone hypes the 372xpw so much now add a couple pounds and 13cc's and you have the 390. Anyone who has one know's what i'm talking about.

lets get back on topic

Ok, this has turned into what is the biggest baddest saw out there and we're talking about ported fire snorting dragon saws and have really gotten off topic on the question the OP asked.

So my two cents: First off, the OP indicated that this is a major but likely one time cleanup job. He is not talking about a saw to log with for the next three decades. Secondly, he has already pretty well narrowed down his search to two saws and wanted to know which would be the better choice. So I say, get the 660. It will do everything you need done and will still be a valuable piece of equipment when the task is accomplished.

what I would really recommend if feasible would be to find a lightly used 660, get your job completed and then sell it for most of what you paid for it. then you can go shopping for a smaller saw that will handle smaller needs in the future. A 440 or 460 would cut up any of those trees but since it sounds like you have a boatload of mess, get a big saw, get er done and then downsize to a medium saw for the long haul.

I want a fire breathing/snorting dragon saw!!! sweet.
Anyways, good point keep an eye out on your local craigslist, forget fleabay, Im sure you can find a good used deal for half the price especially if you only need it for a few uses.

The 660 feed's on big chip's, and big wood. You are getting in big ebough stuff to warrant one. Hell they cut it all firewood small stuff too. I would get the saw that can do it all right know, and in the future when you get more cash ad a mid size 70cc to the lineup. Make you well rounde'd.

I am still deciding and I have Friday off and want to get with it this weekend so I am going to the dealer and whatever saw speaks to me I am going to buy. My dealer offered to sell me the 460 and I could take it and use it for a weekend or so and if I did not like it return it and trade it towards a 660 no questions asked. Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. This makes the decision all he harder.

He is a very knowledgable dealer and I have bought several other pieces of power equipment in the past. He deals in Red Max, Stihl, Echo but NOT Husky. He says he does not think much of Husky saws anymore. He also told me that Tanaka was bought by Hitachi and they have made a lot of stupid changes and he is no longer a Tanaka dealer after 30 years. Too bad, Tanaka made some of the very best stuff I have ever run.

Still undecided for now. Thanks for all the input so far.

My dealer offered to sell me the 460 and I could take it and use it for a weekend or so and if I did not like it return it and trade it towards a 660 no questions asked. Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. This makes the decision all he harder.

Actually Stihl has a 7day like it or return it policy anyway.

I do and always have had 066/660's and 044/6/460's but i gotta say my next purchase is leaning towards Husqvarna. The 660 is turning into a 395 and the 460 is becoming a 576 and i'll be left with around $500 change, i just cant justify the price difference down here.

That figures. And, the MS 650 is one of the best logging saws that was ever built.

You can buy an MS 650 for about the same price as an MS 460? I guess downsizing is sometimes expensive. :msp_rolleyes:

Now i'm stuck in Tasmania, not even sure if its on google maps or not, but i don't think we can get 650's down here, and i reckon it would be because back in the pre MS days we could get an 066 or an 064 and the 064 was an absolute turd, my father got suckered into buying one somehow and it gave him nothing but grief. Now i don't know, but this sounds to me to be just the same sort of marketing ploy, "the big stihl saw you buy when you really cant afford a big stihl saw".

got both 046 magnum and MS660
for longer bars go with MS660 ... stock 046 and MS460 is bit weak for bars over 28in

best of both if you can find a low hours 064 ... a crack heavier than 046 with nearly same HP as MS660. a stock 064 is very close to a woods ported MS460. the real monster is a woods ported 064 with power of an 084, weighing barely more than MS460.

it's all about how fit you are and how many hours saw will be used.
a new professionally woods ported MS460 wins hands down, if you are cutting 5-6 hours a day.

I bought a new 660 with a 3/4 wrap handle and a 32 inch bar yesterday. He threw in three loops of chain and some new synthetic 2 cycle. Got it all out the door for a little less than $1200. I was going to get the 460 too as a spur of the moment thing, but am going to research the 70cc saws a little more.

Anyway, there is a wildfire near my property now and evacuations are in place...no cutting this weekend. This is rugged country, and there is so much down wood it is like a tinder box. This might be the one that finally takes it out. I blame this on USFS and their desire to turn a healthy forest into one so crowded with trees that once a fire stops it is like a match. Maybe if this fire burns Yosemite USFS will come under more scrutiny from a larger audience. One can only hope some of their heads roll, because they are a bunch of losers as far as I am concerned!

good job on deciding on 660!

you got the correct saw if it's going be pulling a 32in bar the most

660.jpg

Last edited:
Stihl 084 Still Rules Now and Then

got both 046 magnum and MS660
for longer bars go with MS660 ... stock 046 and MS460 is bit weak for bars over 28in

best of both if you can find a low hours 064 ... a crack heavier than 046 with nearly same HP as MS660. a stock 064 is very close to a woods ported MS460. the real monster is a woods ported 064 with power of an 084, weighing barely more than MS460.

it's all about how fit you are and how many hours saw will be used.
a new professionally woods ported MS460 wins hands down, if you are cutting 5-6 hours a day.
On the other hand, remember that your 084 saw was designed to be a big dog and not a limber or small bucking saw. The 084 bucks big logs and weighs a ton (22 lb dry weight).

When it's time to buck a big log, you start the 084 with its 122 cc's, rest it and its weight on top the log with a big bar and a sharp chain, and then (as Kevin Costner said about his driver) "let the big dog eat."

:blob2:

Last edited:
that's a fact!

seems only times 084 comes out is when 4ft+ DBH lumber is coming down.
it's a lot of work getting that beast out with a 4ft bar ...

stihl200849.jpg

On the other hand, remember that your 084 saw was designed to be a big dog and not a limber or small bucking saw. The 084 bucks big logs and weighs a ton (22 lb dry weight).

When it's time to buck a big log, you start the 084 with its 122 cc's, rest it and it's weight on top the log with a big bar and a sharp chain, and then (as Kevin Costner said about his driver) "let the big dog eat."

:blob2:

Last edited:
Good choice. I have the 460 and 660 - with your qualifier of 32" bar 660 is the right tool hands-down.

I don't run any bigger than 25" solid and 28" reduced weight on the 460. Doesn't run as well and balances like crap with bigger bars, at least my view of things. IMO, 460 handles best for all day cutting with 20" and 25" bars. Bigger than 28" up to 36" = 660 for better balance and torque.

Now go back and get the 460 too - you know you want it :smile2:

Don't forget the factory dual port muffler covers for both of them too. Use blue loctite on the cover bolts and also on the screen holder for the 460's (if you get one).

Great Pick..
Both the 460 and 660 are solid saws..
The 660 will pull that 32" bar no probs..

Anyway, there is a wildfire near my property now and evacuations are in place...no cutting this weekend. This is rugged country, and there is so much down wood it is like a tinder box. This might be the one that finally takes it out. I blame this on USFS and their desire to turn a healthy forest into one so crowded with trees that once a fire stops it is like a match. Maybe if this fire burns Yosemite USFS will come under more scrutiny from a larger audience. One can only hope some of their heads roll, because they are a bunch of losers as far as I am concerned!

Actually, the Sierra Club and their like do the most damage. They file lawsuits against every timber sale the USFS offers, and gets everything tied up in court and shut down for 3 or 4 years before the Court can rule on whether or not the sale can proceed.

The USFS only lessened the amount of timber they put up for sale due to kneejerk lawsuits by the enviros and the sentimental legislation the enviros have influenced congress to pass.

Then there's the economy. Why cut the timber if there's no market?

Have you been thinning your property?

Back