MS 660, Should I get one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haoleboy99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Don't really need one but have the itch, CAD, but don't want to be disappointed. I already have a 372 and like it but that damn CAD! Bigger is always better???? I started on this site with an 026 that has served me well and always thought it was the only saw anyone would need. I don't need/cut that large to need a 32 in bar but is the extra power that inpressive vs my 372? I'm going back to Stihl due to local dealer support so no more Husqvarna for me. BLUF: will the 90cc be impressive with the 25in bar?

Your 372 ported would be more impressive than a stock MS660. The 660 will pull a longer bar. But that's not going to take affect until probably > 32" with a stock 660, maybe not even then. BTW, this is not a sales pitch either. Have you run a ported 372?

Snelling kicks out the fact that he has the Solo in his sig. This saw is a powerhouse in its own right. Cost vs. power you can find something that will make you smile for much less cost. That being said, I have a solo and will be looking for a 660 pretty soon.
Run one if you have a chance to put it in wood. If you largest trees are in the 20" range, you have better choices for much less.
Chad

372 no mods

My 372 is running stock, blahhhh. I haven't jumped to the ported, muffler mods that seem to be the standard around here. One of my winter projects is to start on one of the 026s and see the difference. My 372 has 15 tanks through her and is nice but doesn't scare the bark off the tree like I want. I'm a NEWB in the mods side of saws so don't know where to begin in that area.

I ran Homelite 925s for a long time and then went to a Stihl 051 and put many years on it. Flash forward ~25 years (still have the 051) and I recently got a MS660. It is a dream. My friend has a MS362 and it is nice but compared to the 660 it is a toy to me. Give me a big saw any day. Even if it is not being fully utilized in smaller wood, I still like the feel and the ability to get through the wood fast.

As a side note we are in the final phase of getting the parts needed to rebuild my 660 from is unfortunate run in with a nasty oak tree. Stay tuned and we will give an update when the patient emerges from transplant surgery.

Your 372 ported would be more impressive than a stock MS660. The 660 will pull a longer bar. But that's not going to take affect until probably > 32" with a stock 660, maybe not even then. BTW, this is not a sales pitch either. Have you run a ported 372?

Buy the 660 and port that. :clap::clap::clap:

I agree, get that 372 ported. I have a MS460 that is ported and I also have a Husky 395 stock. The 460 will pull a 32" just as good as the 395. My 395 is for REALLY big wood.

Plus, a ported saw is just fun to run.

the 660 is a bit heavier and bulkier than the 372 but ...... I can get a good price on a 660 and looked at the 460 but for $90 more than the 460 I can get a 660. The dealer seems to wanting to move the 660s so the price is pulling on my Christmas bonus $. Now I'm thinking of porting the 372 and putting the money against another item on the toy list; bucket grapple, bandsaw etc...

the 660 is a bit heavier and bulkier than the 372 but ...... I can get a good price on a 660 and looked at the 460 but for $90 more than the 460 I can get a 660. The dealer seems to wanting to move the 660s so the price is pulling on my Christmas bonus $. Now I'm thinking of porting the 372 and putting the money against another item on the toy list; bucket grapple, bandsaw etc...

If the dealer wants to move it, and the price is good, man you can't go wrong with a 660. Put 20" bar 8 tooth drive on it if you don't have big trees to cut. Lotsa lotsa fun! I put a 20" on a 460 once, and it was a real wood eater!

A MS660 sure makes the top of your three saw plan, or with CAD, many saw plan. Always nice to start at the top and work your way down. My very first saw was a 076.

The 660 has a very nice balance with a 20-25" bar IMO. And it would take a very good saw to pass you in the cut.

Good choice buying too much power!

they'll give me the 660 for $940 with a 25in bar but want $850 for the 460 with the same size bar.

That's a good deal on the 660 for sure. What will you be using the saw for? Myself, I'd much prefer a ported 460 or 372 for a 24" bar. I'd go as far as to say that it would get you done faster, with less weight, and more fun to boot. This is especially true if you only need a saw to run a 24"-28" bar.

but i dont see a 70cc saw hanging with a 90cc saw cutn wood to the 32" bare tip, ported or not

I cut firewood for the house. OK, I know I could do this with my 026, and I don't sell firewood, and don't have money to burn, but..... I actually have fun cutting firewood and is a great stress relief of the everyday grind/stress of the job. So when it comes to toys, I mean tools, I go for it. :greenchainsaw:

IMO the 660/066 is the yardstick by which all other 90cc machines are measured. Everyone on here does it. "so and so's 550 Homelite was almost as fast as a new 660..." If you don't like the saw when you get it, list it on ebay. Add tag lines like "rare, kart motor, kustom, monster saw" and you might get more than you paid. If you really want to make money, smash it with a sledge hammer, drag it behind your pickup, and then divide the parts into two piles. You 'll be surprised what they'll bring.

I believe this is a 28" bar. 8-pin rim. Full comp chain. A stock 660 could not do this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I cut firewood for the house. OK, I know I could do this with my 026, and I don't sell firewood, and don't have money to burn, but..... I actually have fun cutting firewood and is a great stress relief of the everyday grind/stress of the job. So when it comes to toys, I mean tools, I go for it. :greenchainsaw:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Excellent post!

Latest posts

Back