MS 660, Should I get one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol i dunno. ive been wanting a RW bar for awhile now and might just get it in 32" that way the 70cc saws are very light wearing it and the 066 is alittle lighter. ive found 32" does what i need and i already have alot of chains for it .

Replaced my 660 engine twice!

Next time I need to buy a monster saw, I`m going with Husky. Right now, I own six STIHL saws, nothing else, But I`ve overheated the engine on my MS660 twice. I think they might not have the greatest design. I love all my others, especially the 192T, 260 and the 441! The only way I can run my 660 is with special gas, fuel that contains NO ethanol, because ethanol burns much hotter. There are only a few places in my county that sells "No ethanol fuel, and that is because they dont have updated tanks. It is a bit of a hassle to only get my gas their. I have heard, from an old timer, Husky makes better big saws and Stihl makes better small ones. I think he may be right, but I cant say, I have never ran a big husky. One more note, I run a 36inch bar on my 660. It is the largest bar you can get for it. My local Stihl dealer said that may have had something to do with the overheating problem.

T1MB3RWOLF,

What oil and ratio are you using?

Should the larger cc saws run a different ratio than a smaller saw?

Any idea what RPMs you are turning with your MS660?

i run 40/1
otheres have switched to 32/1 with good results. i dont like the recmended 50/1 i like alittle more oil in my fuel for alittle peace of mind

A 9 pin is getting close to being hard to keep the chains on. I have a 9 that I haven't run yet but test fit to see if I had to trim the bar. It keeps the chain from touching the first inch or so on the end close to the sprocket. A stock 660 doesn't like a 32" and an 8 pin in hardwood about 25". A ported one should have no problem with it as I'm running an 8 on my 390 with a 28" bar and it will pull it buried in oak. A 372 won't pull an 8 with as much torque. You won't be able to lean on it as much as the 660 per say.

My muff modded 066 is explosive in any hardwood with a 25" bar with an 8 pin, and with a 7 will pull a 36" through oak with authority, buried. Never run a 32" bar, so I can't say anything there. My muff modded 372 runs an 8 with a 20" bar. Works well, but I like the bottom end of the 066, don't have to watch the revs so closely.

i run 40/1
otheres have switched to 32/1 with good results. i dont like the recmended 50/1 i like alittle more oil in my fuel for alittle peace of mind

Local shop recommended 32:1 for my old 051 and long before that I was running either 40:1 or 32:1 in that saw. That saw is around 30 years old with zero problems so one cannot argue with success. I also have run well over 1500 face cords through that saw. It was my primary saw for years and I was nearly full time producing firewood.

Back