MS 660, Should I get one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the ported 372 is a good idea, but I think the OP's mind is set on a big saw...period. Nothing wrong with that. Buy it. A 660...especially with a 25" bar...handles surprising well; certainly better than its Husky counterparts (with the possible exception of the 390). Plus, you'll get all kinds of "welcome to the 90cc club" messages to assuage any buyers remorse.

I believe this is a 28" bar. 8-pin rim. Full comp chain. A stock 660 could not do this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am not sure about that..

A 660 simply will not turn those kinds of RPMs.

The rpm thing is relative, move more wood per each dip of the cutter tooth & you dont need to turn the chain quite as fast, but extra displacement & torque would help.

Im not saying it isent completely possible though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got video of my ported 372 and 066 making about 10 second cuts through about 24" of frozen hardwood. They're within .30 seconds of each other. I put significantly more load on the 066 than the 372, meaning the 372 was capable of better times. Another operator with great saws ran his copies of the same saws. His 372 was .75 seconds faster than his 066. All four of these saws are very strong woods ported saws.

Now you put one of these ported 372s against a stock 660, and it wouldn't even be a contest.

IMO the stock 066 is the most disappointing saw I've ever ran.
Now remember this is my opinion, but you really have to mod one in order to get it's true potential. But I really think that's true for most big saws.

If you have cad and want a big saw an 660 is as good a place to start as any other.

I had 2 660's and did'nt care for them. My 460 pulls a 25'' bar just as good with less weight.:chainsaw:

I have a flea bay 660 coming this next Monday. It will take me a week or so to get it together for cutting. Nothing replaces cubic inches when it comes to big wood. A dual port cover made a big difference on my 460. The 2 extra holes made a major difference on my 260.

Tell us more...

I had 2 660's and did'nt care for them. My 460 pulls a 25'' bar just as good with less weight.:chainsaw:

Was that stock to stock or were equal mods involved? Any changes in sprockets to raise chain speed? Just curious because I have a 460 and 044 with DP covers plus an old Dolmar 143 but I'm still wondering if I'm missing out by not having a 660. Like the OP, I'm just cutting for fun and games too.

Olyeller

I had a 660 also. I thought it was kinda disappointing stock. I dual ported the cover and was a little better. The av rubbers must have been wore out on it cause it vibrated like a jackhammer in my hands. I didn't port it I just sold it. I tried with a 7 pin and a 8 pin. It really wasn't any faster than the 7900 witha 24", it might have been with the 32" if using the whole bar.

The 660 is a great saw to own; I will own one someday. However, if it is to be a tool, it requires need. If it is to be a toy, then it requires money to burn. Sounds like from your own words that neither of those fit you right now.

Satisfy your CAD by having someone port your 372. It'll keep you grinning all day cutting firewood and save you quite a bit of cash.

Now I'm leaning towards porting and muf mod on the 372. I already have the 24 and 20 inch bars for it and like the feel so I may have to put the CAD at bay and see how the mods curb the cravings. This is what is good about this site. Lots of opinions mixed with experience.

If you want displacement get a 395xp. You will not be sorry. Its a great saw.

The 660 is a great saw, I own and use one, but I tend to lean toward Brad's opinion. The majority of people will be disappointed in the performance of any 90cc saw regardless of brand unless they truly use them in bigger wood. Using them in 18" to 24" wood they are not any faster than the stock 70cc saws and a mildly ported muffler modded 361 is on their heals. When you get in the larger wood, hard seasoned wood or frozen wood the bigger saws hp really starts to shine. You have to think of the increased mix and bar oil use on the big saws, there is a penalty that goes along with cc's. I wouldn't give up my 660 because we use it for it's intended purpose, big wood or tough cutting conditions. I find it a smooth saw, but I'm not sensitive to vibration like some.
My next purchase will be a 441 to fill the gap between the 038/361 and the 660. Remember a 660 will probably hold more value than a ported 372, at least in this neck of the woods.

i agree ported 70cc saws will run very good with 28" bars barried to the tip.

ill have to do more testing this spring in big wood with 28" abd 32" bars same chain raceing between the 066 and 440 even 372..

90% of my cutting is done with the ported 70cc saws, i even run the 32" on them bucking up big firewood trees. my 372 handles the 32" vaery well. it is smooth with the chain barried in 30"S of wood, it is my work horse.
my 440 wears a 28" and is ported to, it flat bucks up some wood in a hurry, its my most favorite saw. it has done some big trees.

i have the 066 because i have cad and my trees go beyond 40"S sometimes. if i find this spring that it is slower then then the 70cc saws while dragn the 32" then i will use them and not the 066. ill then grab a longer bar and the 066 will be strictly long bar big wood saw. maybe 40-42" bar.

theres a vid floating around here of my 066 going slightly faster then my 440 in small wood with an 18" bar. both wearing the same chain

I believe this is a 28" bar. 8-pin rim. Full comp chain. A stock 660 could not do this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiVzr2h5pLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Brad,

Very impressive! :rockn:

Have you played with the 390 yet? Mine haul butt modded. Just wondering if you have built any yet.

that is very impressive, what kind of wood is that. how longs it been on the ground.

Back