MS023 or MS180? both used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studentsT

Reaction score
a local "shop" has an MS 023 (asking $165) and a MS180 (asking $185)

what's the general feeling on either saw and the asking prices?

both look WELL used. Have not yet spoken to them or inspected. (the shop is 50mi away)

the "shop" is a small engine repair shop...:rolleyes2:

I need a smaller saw for pruning and both look like they would do fine...but I don't need anything on its last legs.

Aside from hearing them run, and having a peek in the cylinder what would you guys recommend to look for if I check them out?

I realize they are not "rock stars" in the Stihl lineup historically but the $ makes them tempting....especially if they'll negotiate a bit.

I have a 023 and it is a nice 40cc saw, just replaced a damaged 025 with a MS250. Both the 023 and 025 were go to saws.

I'd go with the 023 and if it's well used like you said I would pay no more than $150 for it.

I'd buy the 023. The price of the MS180 is $180.00 new here. If they've been well used you have some "bartering room." I'd say not to pay the "asking price."

I find the price high on both! I paid 200;- for my 180 brand new 5 years ago! Generally I have the impression that used Stihl products go for astonishing prices on the resale market. If you are considering that amount of money I would look at all the other brands out there and go for one of those. Some of those even give you 5 years warrenty. I have a few of these smaller saws(Oleo Mac=Emak, Stihl, Poulan=Partner[Part of the Husqvarna group]) and am very happy with all of them. They fullfill their deeds very well and quality wise there won't be a major difference in that price league if you stick with the major brands.
You said yourself for "prunning work". So 30-40cc should be sufficient! Even the el cheapo brands like Poulan should last forever with a little maintenance. Do a MM, readjust the carburator and you will be double happy.

I find the price high on both!

That's to be expected around here. People ask twice what they expect to see-or more. Selling something is even worse. About half the time, they will try to trade $5, a couple half-dead chickens, half a box of diapers, or a used dog house. It's amazing.:bang:

Back