ms201tc-m loading up at idle

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 135597

So I went to dealer to buy a new MS201 TC-M and ended up walking out with that saw and a MS261C-M. Both of these saws are my first Mtronic saws so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad I have two mtronic saws now to compare to each other because both act completely different after the cut. The 261 is flawless, after making multiple cuts it comes back to idle quick and nice and smooth. spools right back up when I blip the throttle, no hesitation at all. I could let it idle for minutes while repositioning or moving logs etc and it with spool right up when I blip the throttle. The 201 on the other hand is a different story. I would say about 50 percent of the time it acts like the 261, but the other 50 percent it's acting like it's loading up at idle. I will be cutting, and then let it idle for a few seconds, maybe 15-30 secs at most. When I blip the throttle or go to cut, It will bog and die. It starts on first pull after this happens, but it is really pissing me off. I have about 5 tanks through it and it has acted the same from day one till now. I tried resetting the system according to a 441c-m thread I found here, but there was no change. What has me concerned is it's intermittent. So i'm thinking it's earned a trip to the dealer to get checked out unless you guys could give me some suggestions on what to do.

Although you should never have to do this with a saw that costs as much as it does, I would put down a good chunk of money that opening up the stock muffler hole would eliminate that completely. But I'm pretty much regurgitating everything I've learned on this site, but I do know first hand that muffler mods on any C-M saw is a must.

This may sound stupid but I'm just trying to troubleshoot. What setting do you have the summer/winter shutter on? I ask this because some of the 201's here at work (non-mtronic) get boggy like that off throttle on damp cold days until we realized the summer mode was on while we were in winter. I see that you're in NJ and know it can get pretty cold there. Just a thought.

This may sound stupid but I'm just trying to troubleshoot. What setting do you have the summer/winter shutter on? I ask this because some of the 201's here at work (non-mtronic) get boggy like that off throttle on damp cold days until we realized the summer mode was on while we were in winter. I see that you're in NJ and know it can get pretty cold there. Just a thought.
I didn't change it so I assume it is in summer mode. It was cold both days I used it. Max temp was about 35 degrees when I was out. I don't think any idea is stupid at all. I could try that when I run it for video.

I don't think that'll make any difference.
It actually seemed to act up more the hotter I got the saw. If I made a bunch of heavy cuts with the bar about buried (14 inches) it was almost guaranteed to bog off idle. One thing I did notice if I went right to full throttle, it would bog but not die. If I blipped the throttle or didn't go to full throttle quick enough it would bog AND die.

What is the temp where you are at? I have seen that issue with new 201t in the cold weather and our new 661 is doing the same once in a while. Above 40 degrees very Lil issues. But in the cold it seems to have idle issues on start up. The smaller the engine the more finicky they can and will be in the cold. If it's above freezing and your having those issues take it back and dont even try to resolve the issue. Let the dealer deal with it. Bring a piece of wood with you so they can se first hand what is going on.

What is the temp where you are at? I have seen that issue with new 201t in the cold weather and our new 661 is doing the same once in a while. Above 40 degrees very Lil issues. But in the cold it seems to have idle issues on start up. The smaller the engine the more finicky they can and will be in the cold. If it's above freezing and your having those issues take it back and dont even try to resolve the issue. Let the dealer deal with it. Bring a piece of wood with you so they can se first hand what is going on.
It was on average 35 deg the few times I ran it. About 5 tanks through it and intermittently did it since day 1. Seems to happen more when the saw is hotter and working harder. I'm making a video to bring to dealer instead of a log.

Latest posts

Back