MS241 vs 18" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS241 comes with a 16" bar. But it's smaller than any other 16" bar I've ever seen. If their 18" bar is also measured using the ruler on my bedside table, then yes, I expect it would pull that bar no problem. Don't know offhand if Stihl makes an 18" bar for it that uses their 3/8 low profile chain.

I am toying very hard with the purchase of a ms241 my question is for those of you that have one is there a 18" b&c combo that this saw will pull with a simple muffler mod. I am really sold on the weight and mtronic of this saw. I am a climber and this would be the next saw after my 192 is out worked. Thanks for your help guys.
I'm also a climber, and in my opinion you don't need to worry about the 241 you need a top handle saw! Have you ever ran a 200t, 201t or t540xp? I do it every day and honestly couldn't imagine having to use a 192. Their a cheap back up. A good top handle will allow you to do things that the 192 just can't do. I'll leave it at that. Now on to the 241 which I love, in no way would I ever put a 18 inch bar on its a 40cc saw with 40cc power. Your climbing you need power! Run it with a 16 picco or get a 550 and run a 16 on roids or 18 or 20 all at similar size and weight. I got the 241 for bucket work and ground work and it's great at that if the wood is close to 16" I bring out the 550 or 346. Hey you can even have a 550 with screw on floppy caps lol

I would prefer my 026 as it is close in weight to a 241 but is going to have more power. I can see a 241 for a company or person that just has to have a rear handle pro saw in that weight and for fuel savings. Better save a lot on fuel though, as an good, clean 026 is way less $$$ than a new 241.
That's precisely why I own two Stihl 026 PRO chain saws. I restored them both rather easily and the cost of both added together was less than one MS 240 or 241 from the dealer. Mine start, run, and perform.

Not to replace to use as the next saw in the arsenal. Man when I posted this thread I was dead set on a 241 now I have no idea. Wow I hate you guys. Not really but wish I could just have one of each.

LOL - YA ... get a 562xp :D

I've been kicking tires on a 241 for almost a year now and whenever I come close to pulling the trigger, I am reminded the weight of a 241 is so close to a new 550xp that I just can't do it :(
I think if the 241 was as light as a 543xp, the 241 would be in my shop by now, but it ain't - so the shiznit for me in a new lightweight saw is still the 550xp wth an 18" Tsumura lightweight bar! But then I'm not climbing in trees much.

I'm also a climber, and in my opinion you don't need to worry about the 241 you need a top handle saw! Have you ever ran a 200t, 201t or t540xp? I do it every day and honestly couldn't imagine having to use a 192. Their a cheap back up. A good top handle will allow you to do things that the 192 just can't do. I'll leave it at that. Now on to the 241 which I love, in no way would I ever put a 18 inch bar on its a 40cc saw with 40cc power. Your climbing you need power! Run it with a 16 picco or get a 550 and run a 16 on roids or 18 or 20 all at similar size and weight. I got the 241 for bucket work and ground work and it's great at that if the wood is close to 16" I bring out the 550 or 346. Hey you can even have a 550 with screw on floppy caps lol
I agree with what you said totally except for the top handle part my 192s are muff modded and timing advanced while they will not beat a 200 they will keep up. I have run a 200 lots and do not care for the weight or balance. They are an amazing saw but for me when I get to where they shine I really like a rear handle. Just personal preference. You have me leaning towards a 550xp pretty badly. soon as spike gives me a price one might be my way soon. How does it stack up to a 261? Currently as soon as my 192 gets out done up comes my ms 390 and there certainly has to be something better than that LOL!!!

I agree with what you said totally except for the top handle part my 192s are muff modded and timing advanced while they will not beat a 200 they will keep up. I have run a 200 lots and do not care for the weight or balance. They are an amazing saw but for me when I get to where they shine I really like a rear handle. Just personal preference. You have me leaning towards a 550xp pretty badly. soon as spike gives me a price one might be my way soon. How does it stack up to a 261? Currently as soon as my 192 gets out done up comes my ms 390 and there certainly has to be something better than that LOL!!!

very well. Lighter, Faster.

The thing for me would be what chain you run on the 192, and what you want to run on the new saw.
If you run 3/8lp 050, then you can buy rolls and share between it and the 241. (And if you have a modded 192 you probably should be, stihl ps is brilliant chain).
A 550 isn't totally suitable to set up running 3/8lp, and with a muff mod it is just as fast running 325 or full 3/8 as it is with 3/8 Lp, so there isn't a lot of reason to use the smaller chain.
The weight of a 550 pho isn't much higher than the 241, but the total saw weight is quite different if you run the stihl 16" 3/8 Lp bar.

Either way it's possible to share chain with other saws, as I'm sure you run a bigger saw with normal 3/8 and a 550 pulls that fine. (Muff mod and squish tighten for me in Aussie hardwood).

So I think the 241 is about the pick of rear handle saws for running 55dl of 3/8lp, 61dl would be fine I'm sure.
The 550 is about perfect for 64-68dl of 3/8.
And the 562/2260 is about right for 68-84dl. (Ported if you want to run a 24" bar often).

I dont climb for a living but I do climb occasionally, and have owned every saw that is being discussed here sans a 362. I love the 241 for what it is. Forget about spec sheet PHO weights for a second. A 241cm running an 18" Stihl Picco bar full of fluids is several POUNDS lighter than a 550XP fully fueled with a Sugi 18". If memory serves correct, it is just under 3 pounds lighter. It is a zippy little saw. I like the 550 a lot, but I honestly think I like the 241 more overall. It has had spot on trigger response since day one and always seems tuned right when my 550 seems like one day it works great, next has bogging almost like the 562's. Chain changes are easier on the 241 also, and you can swap bars with the 192/200/Polesaws if needed. The 241 is a really nice saw and you really have to use one to appreciate it. I actualy run .325 .050 18" on mine now. Stihl just came out with a 3005 bar in that size just for this saw.

-AJ

Yikes well if confusion was not present before it is prevailing now. Taco almost has me back to thinking go with what I had thought in the first place.

I've seen people who can't cut out of their own way with an 066 running a 20" bar, and seen guys move the world with totally underpowered setups.
Especially in a tree I believe that some people can learn to make the most of whatever saw is in their hands.
Wild guess time - if you are happy with a 192 when you could have a 200t, being "underdone" with your saw isn't a real challenge for you.
The 241 is a well built saw, it sips fuel, it has brilliant filtration, it absolutely hauls with 3/8lp and can run 325 fine, it takes seconds to swap setups, it responds well to a muff mod and having the squish tightened.
I can't imagine you being disappointed with one once it's run in.

Latest posts

Back