ms260/ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do tell... what should I do with my life, oh hind sight is 20-20 seer of all things fine and grand??? :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

I have to join SawTroll in bashing the 210 series of saws though. They suck. Intended use or otherwise. They suck to work on, and they have a lot of weak points. But then, as there seem to be so many supporters of these crappy saws, I look forward to getting a good price on Ebay when I unload them all. I will make more money on them than I have sunk into them (especially if I break them up and sell them as parts), and working on all their faults has given me an in-depth education on this series of saws (and I suspect I know more about them than you do). In all their design leaves a lot to de desired, and new or used, it does not make a real difference. They are just not up to the task of a professional logger, or a semi-professional like myself. Some pros may use them, but not many around these parts. (as an aside, I also own a 290, and that saw is miles ahead of the 250. Adjustable oiler, more metal, full size chain, cuts wood, will fell larger trees; several pros I know around here use them, and that is the only saw that the county uses here. For near the price of a 250? No brianer... get the 290).

If one always took the easy road in life, or could forsee the future, there would not be much to look forward to, would there? And farming trees is not an easy life, no matter what saws you have.

Mr. ST has had minimal experience working on a couple of his buddies a while back and found them difficult to work on. I don't find this too suprising, because to my knowledge, ST doesn't do any major mechanical work on his saws.

Windthrown, trying to be conservative, purchased an MS210 part saw on ebay. It was a disaster, so he ended up purchasing more and it snowballed from there. He would have had better luck purchasing one new instead of humpty dumptying them together with saws of 5 different wear levels. In the end it would have saved him a lot of money, headaches, labor, and downtime.

Purchase one of these saws new, maintain it, use it for its intended use, and than let me know what you think of it. I can't personally say how they compare with a comparable husky, echo, dolmar, etc., but I feel they are very formidable saw.

Last edited:
Windthrown you crack me up. How come there are a lot of happy 025 users out there that haven't experienced the same problems you have? Did you just get 5 duds, they maintain their saws better than you, or didn't they assemble their saws with 1/2 worn out parts? You may have more runtime on an 025 than I do, but I know I have dissassembled and reassembled a lot more than you have. What seems so much more challenging in regards to dissassembly on your 025 vs your 029?

What do you think stihl should do to this saw to make it a good saw? A pro level saw at a homeowner price? How come you haven't boughten a MS200 rear handled saw?

Yes if you want to get the most bang for the buck I'd part our your 025's.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that even though i was a little bummed out after finding out it wasn't what i was told it was , over in the corner i saw a 048av in really clean condition , the fellow said it was his , rarely used it cause it was getting to be quite heavy and was only keeping it to cut up the last large oak on his woodlot .
He said he would want a little more than 30.00$$ .
He now has my phone number :) .

What do you think stihl should do to this saw to make it a good saw? A pro level saw at a homeowner price?

Yes, I think Stihl should do that. Dolmar is doing EXACTLY that with the PS-350/PS-420, and at a price less than the 250. Pro features, for a homeowner price.

Probably because the 250 etc will last a long time if you don't use them, and store them properly..........:biggrinbounce2:

I think you meant to say that the 250 etc. will last a long time if you maintain them and use them properly.

Yes, I think Stihl should do that. Dolmar is doing EXACTLY that with the PS-350/PS-420, and at a price less than the 250. Pro features, for a homeowner price.
Your problem is solved ....dump your 210's-250's and pick one of them up. If you want to stick with stihl buy yourself a rear handled 200 from your 210-250 earnings.

Your problem is solved ....dump your 210's-250's and pick one of them up. If you want to stick with stihl buy yourself a rear handled 200 from your 210-250 earnings.

Power to weight are not too good even for the 420 - he needs to find a 242xp, and Dolmar needs to put out a 4200S.......:greenchainsaw:

No, no, that's how it really is.

This morning there where about 87 025's just laying around on my driveway, people just seem to drop them when they break down. I got tired of picking them up, so I went and borrowed the neighbors snowplow just to push them aside and clear it out. And boy, was I lucky to do so, because then I was also able to clear my road all the way to the mainroad, and I counted to 914 025's although the main road is only 1/2 a mile away.

Later, when I drove to work I could see little girlscouts walking beside the road picking up wasted 250's and putting them in plastic bags. When the bags are full they just leave them by the side of the road and the city sends out trucks to pick up the bags, and then they are sent away for disarmament and destruction.

I hear they are planning to start a new plant somewhere in north Norway, around Troms I think, because Sellafield and Le Havre won't take any more of this junk, they're all busy with just their atomic waste...

I also tried to dispose of my own 250 in a nearby lake, but to my surprise it was instantly rejected, the lake just didn't let it sink, but instead slowly floated it a shore. I guess I have to burn it then, cause that worked well with the witches when they were rejected by the lakes...

:givebeer: :cheers: :givebeer:
Anybody wanna buy a new 16" bar for a ms210/ms250? :)

Power to weight are not too good even for the 420 - he needs to find a 242xp, and Dolmar needs to put out a 4200S.......:greenchainsaw:

Where do you get a 242xp? I have never seen one for sale, and they are not even listed in the '07 Husky catalog.

Where do you get a 242xp? I have never seen one for sale, and they are not even listed in the '07 Husky catalog.

No, got replaced by the 346xp in 1999, and those who have them usually won't sell them......

It was mostly to illustrate what a dog the 420 really is when compared to pro saws - that old one has .7 more hp from the same cc number, and allowed rpms are 15,500. Weight is the same.

Last edited:
No, got replaced by the 346xp in 1999, and those who have them usually won't sell them......

It was mostly to illustrate what a dog the 420 really is - that old one has .7 more hp from the same cc number, and allowed rpms are 15,500. Weight is the same.

But the PS-420 has only 0.1 BHP less than the MS250, with .3cc less displacement! Also only weighs a few ounces more. Comparing saws that are being built today that is. Relics of the past I do not need. I already have an old Mac and an Olympic.

Probably because the 250 etc will last a long time if you don't use them, and store them properly..........:biggrinbounce2:

YEAH! Just like your personal 361! I see the Troll is on his 250 bashing spree again...drive-on with your bad-self Troll. You're a legend in your own mind.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back