MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty awesome increase just changing cutter geometry.
Not asking to give away all Jon's secrets, but was that Square chisel running a standard
raker height of .025" or so?
I'm experimenting a little turning my spare .325" round to square.

very nice thread guys!:)

Yes.....in all honesty it's nothing special. Chain is a black art or some such stuff......sometimes you find a great combination without even looking.

Randy, just because the voices in my head won't let it go...I was called upon to install one of those throttle body spacers on a GM 6.2 today and the guy was (possibly) sold a bill of goods and told that the spacer gives power gains of (up to) 10%. I was wondering if there is room in there for you to play with spacing and shaping on the intake side to increase velocity...I may be smoking saw chips on my theory but I had to ask.
A few years from now I'll bet we will be printing custom intakes on our 3D printers anyhow, I know I want one when the price comes into my range.

Randy, just because the voices in my head won't let it go...I was called upon to install one of those throttle body spacers on a GM 6.2 today and the guy was (possibly) sold a bill of goods and told that the spacer gives power gains of (up to) 10%. I was wondering if there is room in there for you to play with spacing and shaping on the intake side to increase velocity...I may be smoking saw chips on my theory but I had to ask.
A few years from now I'll bet we will be printing custom intakes on our 3D printers anyhow, I know I want one when the price comes into my range.

There's a lot that can be done on intake length tuning (over my head too). But there isn't room on this saw to play with such things.

Try removing the bottom ring from the piston and see what happens. I do not use two rings on these saws when they go back together. Ever since the 460 build-off, I leave the bottom ring off many saws. On the 460, the saw made several hundred more RPMs in the cut. You're freeing up a lot of friction by removing that bottom ring. As far as compression goes, I doubt you'll see more than a 5 PSI change.

Try removing the bottom ring from the piston and see what happens. I do not use two rings on these saws when they go back together. Ever since the 460 build-off, I leave the bottom ring off many saws. On the 460, the saw made several hundred more RPMs in the cut. You're freeing up a lot of friction by removing that bottom ring. As far as compression goes, I doubt you'll see more than a 5 PSI change.

Interesting concept. Have you investigated using a "gapless" ring design like the automotive aftermarket has ? They may not go small enough, but I've seen 47.5mm gapless from Total Seal.

No, I'm gonna have both rings....sorry.

The only time I'll do that is if the ring ends interfere with my port work.

I agree. But I'd rather lose a few R's and keep both rings.

It'll be within a file stroke or two either way... I think we already saw that...
Though I am guilty of relocating a pin and centering a single ring...
Because I just can't help myself...
:msp_sad:

It'll be within a file stroke or two either way... I think we already saw that...
Though I am guilty of relocating a pin and centering a single ring...
Because I just can't help myself...
:msp_sad:

I did that same thing on Brian's hybrid when I put fingers in it.

It takes longer on the Huskys I think. Stihl has their act together on the M-Tronic system.

I'll be running a modded 550XP in this same wood. I look for the 261 C-M to best it in this size wood though. The 550XP was made for limbing and topping. It's a higher rpm type saw that doesn't have the torque that the Stihl has.

It's all about torque. I've been filling my brain with lots of info from my dyno tests. You nailed it Randy. Screamers are good for limbing. The 550XP might have the same HP or more than the 261 C-M but the 261 hold onto that max hp longer. Most saw have there max hp around 9000 rpms. The high torque saws hold that max hp # in a broader range of rpms. The saw of my choice would be the one that has max hp from 6500 rpm to 9500 rpms not one that has max hp at 10,000 rpms then drops quickly because of it's lack of torque.

Forgot to add I love this thread you Rock Randy and crew.

well....

Sure is......you know that guy do ya? :msp_wink:

i seem to run into him once in a while when i look into the mirror. i hear hes pretty excited about the project and has some other projects in mind.....046, 064, 066, 660 and his newest arrival an 048 av he picked up over the weekend while falling a tree for friend.....maybe even a 2100 cd later on.....he says to keep up the good work and looks forward to the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back